Wuhan Coronavirus Thread

mission27

1 minute ago, vikesfan89 said:

What kind of healthcare system does Italy have?

The healthcare system in Italy is a regionally based national health service known as Servizio Sanitario Nazionale (SSN). It provides universal coverage to citizens and residents, with public healthcare largely free of charge. ... Most expats employed in Italy will qualify for the local government healthcare network.

In all seriousness

57 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:
  1. Test and confirm you have coronavirus so that you aren't just thinking its a cold.
  2. Get you IV fluids and manage your fever.
  3. Instruct the hell out of you to actually quarantine yourself, with a specific time period hammered into your head. This is the biggest one, because the real danger for most people getting coronavirus is transmitting the disease to a vulnerable population.

Based on what we've seen so far, the mortality of coronavirus appears to be dependent on the level of care people receive. When you have a system that is designed to limit people's access to care for whatever reason, financial or otherwise, the mortality is going to go up.

I'm not using this to criticize you personally or anything. But you're one example of a large group of people who are making a decision that will benefit them individually and harm society at large. That's just the reality of the situation.

actually the biggest correlaration to mortality is age. people who are ederly with likely weaker systems to start out with are in the most danger. can you point to where its level of care?

furthermore, @theJ was mostly correct, theres no real treatment for it yet. if you have symptons, as long as youre not going to work or larger crowds or anything like that then what do you fain by going to the doctor. him telling you to cintinue to do what youre already doing?

Just now, ramssuperbowl99 said:

FTFY

Every 9-12 student is given a Chromebook in our building. We use them in class. Aside from playing tetris regularly, I don't know that I believe at home vs. in the back of class is any different on a given day sometimes.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ET80 said:

Any call where I can avoid post call tasks, an angel gets their wings. 

I have mastered this.  I ALWAYS control the conversation because i always come to the meeting with an agenda.  We plow through it, assign the action items, and i never end up with the action item.

It's beautiful.

1 minute ago, MWil23 said:

Every 9-12 student is given a Chromebook in our building. We use them in class. Aside from playing tetris regularly, I don't know that I believe at home vs. in the back of class is any different on a given day sometimes.

You (the teacher) just become easier to ignore.  But let's be honest - the kids want to do well will still pay attention.  Those that don't care might do a little worse.  But they'll still do bad regardless.

3 minutes ago, GSUeagles14 said:

actually the biggest correlaration to mortality is age. people who are ederly with likely weaker systems to start out with are in the most danger. can you point to where its level of care?

furthermore, @theJ was mostly correct, theres no real treatment for it yet. if you have symptons, as long as youre not going to work or larger crowds or anything like that then what do you fain by going to the doctor. him telling you to cintinue to do what youre already doing?

I actually went to the doctor earlier today for my semi. She suggested exactly what The J is saying. The ER only has so many people and that's the only place that can test right now (maybe just my area though). You restrict resources b/c you coughed (and turn out to be fine) and you potentially harm someone who desperately needs help. Then you look at it as if you are contaminated and what happens if you infect the staff and they need to quarantine themselves. What happens now? 

Both sides have valid arguments.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Perhaps I didn't make myself clear:

Me teaching remotely will be muting ALL students, lecturing live, and having them type in questions while I livestream the chat and pause to answer them. NO CHANCE I'm allowing microphone capabilities.

That's how my online school went. It worked pretty well.

Just now, theJ said:

You (the teacher) just become easier to ignore.  But let's be honest - the kids want to do well will still pay attention.  Those that don't care might do a little worse.  But they'll still do bad regardless.

Yeah, pretty much. I'm an avid pacer and pretty demonstrative, so I work this in my favor and still work in a lot of stuff where they don't need to use them, but when we take notes 2 or so times a week, who knows what's going on?