Williams Asks for Extension or Trade

LoganF89

Of COURSE he did.

Had he simply said this last year, he would've saved all of us a lot of angst about the whole "poor Trent almost died because of the Redskins" B.S. he peddled.

This is STILL a contract dispute. Always has been.

Like @e16bball, I don't trust him. I want him gone. 

But unlike you guys, I don't think paying a guy into his mid-30s who hasn't played since 2018 (and when he did his skills had declined) is a good idea. This is a guy who hasn't given us 16 games in a season in forever. And a guy who is one strike away from his 3rd strike in the substance abuse program. 

I am willing to trade him for a 2nd and roll with that. And for right now, we just chip the DE and roll protection to help. I freely admit it's not as good as having a franchise LT. But there are 27 other teams that don't have a Top-5 LT. And that means that there are playoff calibre teams that don't have a Top 5 LT. This is a long-term mistake to give him a big extension. Trade the guy now.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, lavar703 said:

Just pay him. We aren’t the patriots. This whole “let everyone go and replace them” thing has not worked for this franchise at all. We still haven’t replaced the production of Garçon and Jackson lol. He’s 32, he’s not 50. Give him a three year deal in line with the top tackles and move on to fixing other issues. 

Heck, I'll go further back then that. We haven't replaced the production of Orakpo and we tried by drafting three 2nd round OLBs since 2015 when we decided not to re-sign Orakpo. Hopefully we finally replace his production at RDE/ROLB and even exceed it when we draft Chase Young with the #2 overall pick.

Edited by turtle28

6 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

Of COURSE he did.

Had he simply said this last year, he would've saved all of us a lot of angst about the whole "poor Trent almost died because of the Redskins" B.S. he peddled.

This is STILL a contract dispute. Always has been.

Like @e16bball, I don't trust him. I want him gone. 

But unlike you guys, I don't think paying a guy into his mid-30s who hasn't played since 2018 (and when he did his skills had declined) is a good idea. This is a guy who hasn't given us 16 games in a season in forever. And a guy who is one strike away from his 3rd strike in the substance abuse program. 

I am willing to trade him for a 2nd and roll with that. And for right now, we just chip the DE and roll protection to help. I freely admit it's not as good as having a franchise LT. But there are 27 other teams that don't have a Top-5 LT. And that means that there are playoff calibre teams that don't have a Top 5 LT. This is a long-term mistake to give him a big extension. Trade the guy now.

Gotta admitt this definitely says to me Money played a Big part in his decision last year. Not saying his health didn't as well, but for him to put this new group of Coaches and Trainers in this position SCREAMS to me he will only return if the MONEY IS RIGHT. I have no problem letting another team pay him 15 mill or or more! 

• Like 2

Right now, Trent is the best available option at protecting Haskins.  The situation and drama is obviously not ideal, but I don’t want to have any excuses made for Haskins in year 2.  Set him up for success.  We have the money for it.

Silverback has been loyal to us since Day 1.  He’s lived through the entire RGIII/Cousins debacle.  It leaves a sour taste in my mouth seeing the fanbase quickly turning on him like this.  He has every right to feel betrayed.  Make it right and move on from this.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, tredaddy said:

Right now, Trent is the best available option at protecting Haskins.  The situation and drama is obviously not ideal, but I don’t want to have any excuses made for Haskins in year 2.  Set him up for success.  We have the money for it.

Silverback has been loyal to us since Day 1.  He’s lived through the entire RGIII/Cousins debacle.  It leaves a sour taste in my mouth seeing the fanbase quickly turning on him like this.  He has every right to feel betrayed.  Make it right and move on from this.

I agree with you to a point.

But part of me thinks he's already checked out & just ready for his next payday.

If he had just been forthcoming originally, maybe the team could have avoided this dabacle & drama?

I don't think the Risk is worth the reward in keeping him.

What if we extend him & he magically turns an ankle in pre season or early on?

What if he gets busted again & is suspended for the whole year?

I know there are a lot of "what ifs" here, but it's not like he's been honest about his situation anyways...

We are basically, rebuilding. New coach, staff & young players. The youngest in the league I believe.

I believe the best move is cut ties with him now & get what we can for him to help this team.

I'm willing to bet the team that trades for him, will be the team making the mistake.

Not us in trading him away...

Just a gut feeling 

10 minutes ago, A TRAIN 89 said:

I’m at the point where I’d rather he be traded. If we can get good value, trade him.

Right if the value isn’t there pay him but don’t give him some Alex type deal. I’d pay him it be guaranteed year too year so if it’s not worth it cut by date x every offseason no or minimal penalty

12 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Heck, I'll go further back then that. We haven't replaced the production of Orakpo and we tried by drafting three 2nd round OLBs since 2015 when we decided not to re-sign Orakpo. Hopefully we finally replace his production at RDE/ROLB and even exceed it when we draft Chase Young with the #2 overall pick.

26 sacks in four years. Pretty sure that was easily replaced. 

Orakpo was a bust

9 hours ago, tredaddy said:

Heck, he lives through through the McNabb, Grossman & Beck debacles too!

12 minutes ago, Slateman said:

26 sacks in four years. Pretty sure that was easily replaced. 

Orakpo was a bust

You just can't let it go can you. It's ridiculous that no-one can mention Orakpo 5/6 years after he last played a game for the Redskins. I don't understand why your so admant on trolling me on this. We don’t agree. Move on and let it go. It shouldn’t bother you that I loved him as a player and I don’t think we’ve ever replaced him. If you think Trent Murphy, Preston Smith, Ryan Anderson and Montez Sweat have thats fine to have that opinion, but most people would disagree with you.

Orakpo had an 11 sack, 8.5 sack, 9 sack and 10 sack season in his 6 years in DC. The 4 guys who we’ve tried to replace him with combined to have one season where they had a sack season that good in their combined years with the team - Murphy’s 9 sacks in 2016.

The two years Orakpo didn’t have more then 8 sacks in a Redskins uniform, he tore his pec muscle. But hey, you fail to acknowledge that bc you want to prove he sucked when everyone knows he didn’t.

Edited by turtle28

If you were in the fence with this whole Trent thing, this latest revelation has to show you that it was about the money. I know it will be hard to replace a LT but his actions were surprising and leave a real bad taste. If we trade him, hopefully get someone we can coach up and start within a year. I know he’s 38 but Jason Peters seems like he can still play and get him for a year. For me, TW really tarnished his character. 

Hard to tarnish your character when what you said was true, everyone in this forum and in a lot of places elsewhere complained about the medical staff not being adequate and his peers commended him for what he did. Outside opinions don’t matter as much as how your peers feel, and his peers did agree with him.

He also never ever hid the fact that he wanted more guaranteed $ either. So, I'm surprised that some are shocked that he's still trying to get a contract extension with new guaranteed money, more years and a raise.

His holdout last year was about both things. Nothing has changed about that.