Possible cut casualties?

Skippy

1 hour ago, vegas492 said:

Look.  I like Lucas Patrick.  He's on the Lane Taylor progression train.  He's not "hot garbage" anymore.  But he's also not starter quality.  He got a good contract to be a fill in reserve interior lineman.  That is what he is.

As a starting center or guard?  Yuck.  For everyone that complains about Linsley or Turner, Patrick is a clear tier or two under those guys.

Just a hard no to any line that has him starting.

I don't think Patrick was ever hot garbage, but I'll definitely agree that he's your super sub.

1 hour ago, Leader said:

Not the case far as I'm concerned.

I appreciate the AR insights - but at what point have you pretty much shot your wad?

Somewhere along the way, you've said it once, twice...three times (or more) already.....so why stretch it out (over multiple threads) and go for the another time (or two or three?)

Surely its not because some new data or insight is available. I mean....we're talking football here. Most of the topics are finite no? After a while of "intensive analysis" its pretty much all been said....no?

It might not be, but it is a thing people do.

It wasn't random. A guy said Corey and him didn't get along, was implying it was the snap. AG thinks that landed on Aaron, hence you aren't home to cut Corey for it. Which is the topic of this thread. Then people got all mad like it came out of the blue, it didn't. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Norm said:

It might not be, but it is a thing people do.

It wasn't random. A guy said Corey and him didn't get along, was implying it was the snap. AG thinks that landed on Aaron, hence you aren't home to cut Corey for it. Which is the topic of this thread. Then people got all mad like it came out of the blue, it didn't. 

Haven't we been talking about the possibility of cutting Linsley for awhile? I seem to remember that being a thing in some of the mocks that came down the pike over the last two weeks in particular. I'm in the camp where you let him walk after his contract ends.

I get not liking Rodgers being brought up everywhere, but in the two places the complaints of having brought Rodgers up were this thread and a thread that literally has Aaron’s name in it.

AG did NOT initiate Rodgers discussion in this thread.  He responded to it.

And how in the hell are you supposed to discuss Aaron’s ideal receiving corps without discussing Aaron?

17 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

I get not liking Rodgers being brought up everywhere, but in the two places the complaints of having brought Rodgers up were this thread and a thread that literally has Aaron’s name in it.

And how in the hell are you supposed to discuss Aaron’s ideal receiving corps without discussing Aaron?

Maybe I'm missing something here! This is the possible cut thread. Again, I agree the snap was fine and Rodgers screwed it up, worse he didn't even attempt to go after the football, but neither here nor there. 

Linsley's contract is expiring after 2020 and I don't see him getting extended. He's a top 16 center in the league, that is a given, IMO. I'd love for us to draft Ruiz, cut Linsley and use that 8.5 million to improve at ILB or DL via free agency. The fall off from Linsley to Patrick/Ruiz is not as severe as how bad the improvement we could make at Dline, ILB. 

23 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

You're still drunk. Try again in 2 hours.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Golfman said:

Maybe I'm missing something here! This is the possible cut thread. Again, I agree the snap was fine and Rodgers screwed it up, worse he didn't even attempt to go after the football, but neither here nor there. 

Linsley's contract is expiring after 2020 and I don't see him getting extended. He's a top 16 center in the league, that is a given, IMO. I'd love for us to draft Ruiz, cut Linsley and use that 8.5 million to improve at ILB or DL via free agency. The fall off from Linsley to Patrick/Ruiz is not as severe as how bad the improvement we could make at Dline, ILB. 

How are you concluding this? What makes Center an easier position to fill in the draft than ILB? What DL are you signing for 7.5 million dollars?

Just now, Golfman said:

The issues with cutting Linsley:

1. You're getting worse.  Any free agent that is better than or equal to Linsley will cost as much or more than Linsley.  If you count on a rookie being as effective as Linsley, you are counting on something that is very far from a guarantee.  For comparison, the Vikings used a first round pick on a center and he was one of the worst centers in the league last year.  In a perfect world it makes sense to cut Linsley, stay the same or get better with a rookie.  That is not likely to happen given how rare it is for ANY rookie to be a top half player at any position.

2. You cut Linsley and you are opening yourself up to the unknown.  We know Linsley.  We know he is top half in the league.  We know he has missed only 10 games in 6 years, 7 of which came from a non-recurring injury.  Maybe a rookie is better, but not as healthy. 

3. You are taking away draft capital.  If we drop starters, we have to replace starters.  Cutting Linsley eliminates an equal or better option in free agency, so we just cut off our nose to spite our face.  Any improvement at IDL/ILB in free agency is now at the expense of a different position. 

There's more, too. 

Cutting Linsley is not a viable option towards making our team better. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

How are you concluding this? What makes Center an easier position to fill in the draft than ILB? What DL are you signing for 7.5 million dollars?

First off it's 8.5 million dollars and I never said that was all we'd throw at somebody. The 8.5 million in cap savings goes into the pool of money we'd have. I'd be willing to roll with Patrick and Ruiz and take my chances at center. 

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/green-bay-packers/

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Joe said:

I don't think Patrick was ever hot garbage, but I'll definitely agree that he's your super sub.

That was an old Lane Taylor reference.  Probably before your time here.

No worries.  I like Lucas.  You are right, he's a great interior backup.  And on a nice contract for that role.  He's simply not a starter.  And...if I'm being fair, I think that was Lane Taylor for a few years, too.  Then he turned into a pretty good IOL for a while.  Graded out nicely this year before injury, but Jenkins is just better.

1 minute ago, Outpost31 said:

The issues with cutting Linsley:

1. You're getting worse.  Any free agent that is better than or equal to Linsley will cost as much or more than Linsley.  If you count on a rookie being as effective as Linsley, you are counting on something that is very far from a guarantee.  For comparison, the Vikings used a first round pick on a center and he was one of the worst centers in the league last year.  In a perfect world it makes sense to cut Linsley, stay the same or get better with a rookie.  That is not likely to happen given how rare it is for ANY rookie to be a top half player at any position.

2. You cut Linsley and you are opening yourself up to the unknown.  We know Linsley.  We know he is top half in the league.  We know he has missed only 10 games in 6 years, 7 of which came from a non-recurring injury.  Maybe a rookie is better, but not as healthy. 

3. You are taking away draft capital.  If we drop starters, we have to replace starters.  Cutting Linsley eliminates an equal or better option in free agency, so we just cut off our nose to spite our face.  Any improvement at IDL/ILB in free agency is now at the expense of a different position. 

There's more, too. 

Cutting Linsley is not a viable option towards making our team better. 

I would only cut or trade Linsley to recover the money to sign Bulaga or another starting free agent RT. Center is easier to replace and less critical than RT. Right now we have no viable options at RT. Spriggs? No. Pankey? No. Turner? No. RT is a serious hole in the line that needs to be filled. I would sacrifice our starting C to fill the hole at RT and then work to fill the smaller C hole.

16 minutes ago, Golfman said:

I like Patrick.  But, I think the falloff is very severe.  Concerning him.  I don't know Ruiz.  Thought he played baseball?  :)

Just now, Mr. Fussnputz said:

I would only cut or trade Linsley to recover the money to sign Bulaga or another starting free agent RT. Center is easier to replace and less critical than RT. Right now we have no viable options at RT. Spriggs? No. Pankey? No. Turner? No. RT is a serious hole in the line that needs to be filled. I would sacrifice our starting C to fill the hole at RT and then work to fill the smaller C hole.

Yes, but cutting Linsley is not the only way to re-sign Bulaga. 

It's okay to not fill every single hole in free agency if it means you can keep your good players.  Good players that played for the Packers are as good as good players who played for other teams. 

52 minutes ago, Norm said:

It might not be, but it is a thing people do. It wasn't random. A guy said Corey and him didn't get along, was implying it was the snap. AG thinks that landed on Aaron, hence you aren't home to cut Corey for it. Which is the topic of this thread. Then people got all mad like it came out of the blue, it didn't. 

I'm not getting lost in the weeds of who said what where. Not my intent. All I've been saying is the general "AR topic" has been dissected to death - going back to 2018 when we all had "What's going on with him" questions and regurgitated just about every week of 2019.

Fine. There's been reason for the discussion and I've joined many of them, but I dont think any functionally illiterate folks come on here......so, there's a good chance (a real good one...) that people have got it by now. That's all. Not making a major (or new) case here. It's **ALL** been said multiple times already.

That's not a complaint but I do think it's a valid observation.