49ers trade Buckner to Colts

RaidersAreOne

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

The thing that sucks is that even if this is good value in return (it is), and we can justify the move given the contract he wanted and not feeling comfortable giving it to him (we can; he was invisible a lot last year), we are a worse team today than we were yesterday. Period. And that sucks. 

Good thing we dont play real football for another 6 months.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Forge said:

The thing that sucks is that even if this is good value in return (it is), and we can justify the move given the contract he wanted and not feeling comfortable giving it to him (we can; he was invisible a lot last year), we are a worse team today than we were yesterday. Period. And that sucks. 

Excatly....this moves depends soley on the draft and the subsequent moves related to the #13 pick. 

7 minutes ago, Forge said:

Yep, this is why we need to trade for a top level WR like Diggs/OBJ and then hit with our #13 pick. Oh man, have a chance to get Henderson at #13 now! 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Forge said:

I don't think that's a question, but we could be a better team when the offseason is all said and done. If we are able to add another legit offensive weapon at #13 our offense may be able to pick up more of the slack. I think this means we really need for Ford to be more of an every down player next year on the edge (...I know). I don't think there is any question that our defensive line is not going to be as good, but I think we have the opportunity to make our team more balanced by making this move. I'm really hoping we won't have to rely on our defense to win a bunch of games for us as much as they did last year. 

13 minutes ago, Forge said:

I would have rather traded AA to the colts for #34 and given buck 21m a year 

This wasn't a bad move necessarily, but goddamn. There is a reason buck is an allpro and AA hasn't made a probowl. That's worth 4m in my eyes 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, oldman9er said:

Most didn't want to lose AA, so did we really think they'd pay huge money to both he and Buck?

/somethinghadtogive

Would rather have Buck though..

He's been better and more consistent throughout his career, then there's AA injury history.

Edited by DTMW78

Just now, N4L said:

I would have rather traded AA to the colts for #34 and given buck 21m a year 

This wasn't a bad move necessarily, but goddamn. There is a reason buck is an allpro and AA hasn't made a probowl. That's worth 4m in my eyes 

It's a very interesting move. Recency bias is a thing, I will admit, and I was often times not overly impressed with Buck last year, but I was often impressed with AA. 

I don't know that I'll say that it's "franchise defining" or anything likethat, but it's absolutely super bowl window defining for us. And I'm a guy who absolutely understands this move and doesn't necessarily disagree with it. 

• Like 3

Just came home from work and while im happy that we re-signed Armstead, I most likely would have kept Buckner as well even if it means paying him $20m a season simply because I would have traded Thomas in a year from now and then pay Buckner. I simply would have tried to keep Armstead and Buckner over Thomas and Ford if it came down to that. Getting the Colts 13th overall pick is great. I would have preferred next year's first rounder instead but I understand the move especially with it clearing $12m+ in cap room by moving Buckner.

I do agree with Jay in regards to Hopkins. Can't believe the Texans gave him away. Feel bad for DeShaun as he's damn good and not having Hopkins could hurt him. Also feel bad for us because Murray/Hopkins can become an even better combination.

With 2 first round draft picks and I know majority would be against this but I trade them for 2021 first rounders to teams that will most likely be bottom 10. In other words, I would take the chance simply because while Jimmy G is good, he's not great. We made the Super Bowl in spite of him and because of our defense, running game and for the most part coaching staff. I simply want Trevor Lawrence and if that means sacrificing 2020 but being better long over the long term, so be it.

Will see what else they do. WR wise, I hope they just re-sign Sanders. Majority know that im a WR nut but at the same time, when I see who our QB is, I don't believe that adding Hopkins or even someone I want like Cooper is going to make much if any difference.

Either way, definitely a jam packed and interesting filled off-season thus far and it hasn't even officially begun. lol.

14 minutes ago, Forge said:

We traded into such a sweet spot for the draft too. We're going to have ammo to trade up and grab someone like Oduah if they start to fall, we can stand still grab someone like Jeudy, Lamb  or Henderson or we can trade back and restock on draft picks in a big way. 

Also, I'm not sure they make this move if they aren't confident in Blair, Jones, Taylor and Street.

Now if only we didn't wrap up so much god damn money in RB's. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, John232 said:

We traded into such a sweet spot for the draft too. We're going to have ammo to trade up and grab someone like Oduah if they start to fall, we can stand still grab someone like Jeudy, Lamb  or Henderson or we can trade back and restock on draft picks in a big way. 

Also, I'm not sure they make this move if they aren't confident in Blair, Jones, Taylor and Street.

Now if only we didn't wrap up so much god damn money in RB's. 

This was something that went through my mind as well. I've said all along how I wasn't too concerned with losing AA because I really liked guys like Taylor and Givens. Now losing DeFo isn't the same as losing AA but I still like some of our lesser known rotational guys to step up be a cog in the wheel. None are as talented as DeFo but collectively, they don't have to be for the interior to remain dominant.

• Like 1