49ers trade Buckner to Colts

RaidersAreOne

1 minute ago, N4L said:

would have rather tagged and traded AA

No way we would have got that value for Armstead. Plus now we'll have two first rounders on controlled salaries for 5 years. #13 I assume will be Jeudy, Lamb, or Ruggs which is a big hole for us. Opens up some cap space while giving us ammo for the future. Sucks to lose Buckner, no way around it. Super solid dude. 

• Like 3

Man, I HATE seeing us part with DeFo. I really believed he'd be a Niner for a long time. But that's a pretty sizeable return. Especially if we were not going to pay him 21 mil a year, which I could see us having a big issue with. Can't believe they broke up the band....

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RaidersAreOne said:

#13 is going to have some great value boys. With the ARZ trade, I can see one of Lamb or Jeudy there. You may have to jump the Raiders though if you want your pick of the two.

I have to wonder if Ruggs isn't the guy we want anyway lol. 

Best DL to just a really good DL? And Buckner was as reliable as it gets. Missed I think only one game in four years. And now we are relying on Ford to stay healthy.

Definitely think another move is to be made here. Could see the team trading for a WR and then navigating through the draft to gain more picks. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, 49ersfan said:

Armstead made more splash plays than Buckner did last season. Question is, did Armstead get the splash plays because of Buckner eating up double teams?

Yes. He did.

The new question: can Solomon Thomas command double teams in much the same way, or does DJ Jones get a chance at more snaps? I'll say this for Solomon Thomas- I always thought his ideal position was one he would never play because Buckner held it. Now he should have a chance. 

• Like 2