Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Webmaster

56 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

I'm far from a medical person, but I'd be interested to see how those treated outside (ala Central Park tents) recover in comparison to those inside. I know that this is a terrible comparison, as it's a different illness altogether and it's 102 years later, with technology coming leaps and bounds since, but those with the Spanish Flu who were treated outside improved markedly better than those treated inside.

I imagine the ventilation and sanitation in the hospitals probably wasn't great do getting them out might have helped a bit

6 minutes ago, theJ said:

US pop is something like 331 million right?  How many of those are actually in the working pool?  Like 50-60%?  Trying to get a feel for the actual percentage out of work currently.  Because it's more than 2%.

If I read that right that 2% number is just who filed last week 

Just now, vikesfan89 said:

If I read that right that 2% number is just who filed last week 

I don't know how many are in a similar boat to us, but my wife has held off filing because we can financially float for awhile on savings if needed or my salary. 

25 minutes ago, Cheesehawk said:

So my sons pediatrician is insisting that we still bring him in for his next set of vaccines. He's 16 months old and has always been on time with all of his shots. Am I crazy for thinking its insane to be taking him to any kind of medical facility right now with everything going on? 

No you’re not crazy.

All non-urgent/emergent care should be delayed right now imo.

Unless the pediatrician has a specific reason as to why it would have to be done NOW, I would personally reschedule for a month or two out. Just my opinion though...

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

I don't know how many are in a similar boat to us, but my wife has held off filing because we can financially float for awhile on savings if needed or my salary. 

Good point.  I would also attribute the spike this week to everyone working through the legislations last week where there were enhanced ways and ability to apply for unemployment.  

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Cheesehawk said:

So my sons pediatrician is insisting that we still bring him in for his next set of vaccines. He's 16 months old and has always been on time with all of his shots. Am I crazy for thinking its insane to be taking him to any kind of medical facility right now with everything going on? 

You're not crazy, but I'd listen to what the doctor recommends. Just be logical when you're in the office and wash sanitize you and your songs hands and you'll be fine. Wear gloves and a mask if you're really paranoid. 

I highly doubt that's a covid testing location. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Cheesehawk said:

My kids pediatrician is also insisting this. Though they ensured us that they have eliminated walk-ins and are only allowing 1 parent per kid and the kid and parent will have to be screened beforehand. 

It seems like a lot of good steps so we'll take them in a few weeks when they get shots. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, LeotheLion said:

My kids pediatrician is also insisting this. Though they ensured us that they have eliminated walk-ins and are only allowing 1 parent per kid and the kid and parent will have to be screened beforehand. 

It seems like a lot of good steps so we'll take them in a few weeks when they get shots. 

I would specifically ask about the screening process and what that entails.  

11 hours ago, titansNvolsR#1 said:

Friends still in China are saying there's a growing anti-foreigner sentiment. It's definitely being stoked by the government too. Frustrating and sad. Bars and restaurants not serving foreigners, people running to the other side of the street, yelling at foreigners without a mask. The whole world sucks. 

Right or wrong, guarantee that sentiment is going to grow both ways as this situation progresses. 

1 hour ago, Heimdallr said:

Weekly jobless claims surged to a staggering 6.65 million, more than double the 3.1 million expected, for the week ending March 28 as the coronavirus continues batter the American economy—it’s the highest level ever recorded. 6.6 million weekly claims means that 2% of the entire U.S. population filed for unemployment last week.

And look how the markets are responding...the truth (while probably sad) is that the market will not care as much about hourly and PT workers being out of work as it will if/when this thing starts to make waves within the financal/banking/etc. worlds.  The system works in crappy ways, but people calling for the absolute economic collapse seem to be leaving that bit out.  In no means is any of this good and should it continue on for months then we have a major problem, but for now the jobless claims are likely to just speed bumps vs massive cliffs.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, acowboys62 said:

Right or wrong, guarantee that sentiment is going to grow both ways as this situation progresses. 

Racism & Anti-Foreigner sentiment is pmuch always wrong.

• Like 3

Just now, Glen said:

Racism & Anti-Foreigner sentiment is pmuch always wrong.

Yes, 100%.  I meant (and should have been clearer)...just general distrust of say the Government entities vs the people.  No Chinese, Italian, American, etc. citizen can be blamed for their Governments actions (not matte how hard people try), but they sure can not trust/care for other Governments and even potential reduce contributing to those countries. I would hope America tries to actually push more Made in America type products moving forward. Anyone being the slightest bit racist over something caused by a virus is a special kind of stupid. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, acowboys62 said:

Yes, 100%.  I meant (and should have been clearer)...just general distrust of say the Government entities vs the people.  No Chinese, Italian, American, etc. citizen can be blamed for their Governments actions (not matte how hard people try), but they sure can not trust/care for other Governments and even potential reduce contributing to those countries. I would hope America tries to actually push more Made in America type products moving forward. Anyone being the slightest bit racist over something caused by a virus is a special kind of stupid. 

Agreed 100%

• Like 1