Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Webmaster

1 hour ago, Heimdallr said:

In 2018, around 156 million people were employed.

About 10 million people have filed for unemployment in the last 3 weeks, which is a bit over 6% of the working population.

Yikes

2 hours ago, Cheesehawk said:

So my sons pediatrician is insisting that we still bring him in for his next set of vaccines. He's 16 months old and has always been on time with all of his shots. Am I crazy for thinking its insane to be taking him to any kind of medical facility right now with everything going on? 

Personally I would get him his vaccines especially if he needs one of the measles vaccines.  There's some research out there that kids' vaccines and the measles vaccine in particular may inhibit the virus.  Could be part of the reason very few kids are getting seriously ill. 

More importantly, realistically the odds of him getting seriously ill from COVID-19 are extremely low (there have been very very few serious illnesses in people younger than teenagers).  He's probably more at risk from the flu.  Very likely that the benefit of the vaccines outweighs the risk especially if you are bringing him to a pediatrician that is probably refusing to see anyone who is showing symptoms of COVID-19.

But I would talk to your doctor. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Cheesehawk said:

So my sons pediatrician is insisting that we still bring him in for his next set of vaccines. He's 16 months old and has always been on time with all of his shots. Am I crazy for thinking its insane to be taking him to any kind of medical facility right now with everything going on? 

I'd listen to your doctor.

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies @LeotheLion @JonStark @mission27 @LETSGOBROWNIES

While I know my son is not really at risk, there is so much unknown about the virus and its lasting effects on your respiratory system. I am a firm believer in vaccines and have always been on point with getting them done promptly based on the pediatricians recommendations. I just feel like at this time, he's not interacting with anyone but my wife and I which makes his risk for those other diseases significantly lower as well. I think at this point I will push back the appointment as my gut is telling me to. That's really interesting about the link between the measles vaccine and the potential that it is inhibiting the virus. Will have to look more into that, I think he already got the measles vaccine

22 minutes ago, Cheesehawk said:

That's really interesting about the link between the measles vaccine and the potential that it is inhibiting the virus. Will have to look more into that, I think he already got the measles vaccine

My advice to you is don't take medical advice from strangers on a football message board.
A "link" is a relatively meaningless term without further investigation.
Reading and understanding clinical trial / medical evidence is best left up to people with the proper expertise and training.

I've worked in this industry for 25+ years, and I'd be very reluctant to make any such claims, especially when it comes to the care of kids.
As far as your appt,  MDs likely won't invite you to come to their office if they have even the slightest doubts about your kids' safety
Personally, I'd have the conversation, express my concerns, listen to the responses and then make an informed decision
Good luck to you and your family

• Like 2

To be clear the reason to get a measles vaccine is to protect against measles.  Any link with coronavirus is completely speculative and measles is much more dangerous to young people than COVID-19 anyway.  But again I would just listen to your doctor and remind yourself that the risk is very low with children (I know it doesnt necessarily help you feel better).

“About 50 per cent of people with this virus don’t have any symptoms, and the WHO says ‘wear a mask if you’re sick’ but no one knows if they’re sick,” Mr Howard told 3AW’s Ross and John.

“The time you’re most infectious is in the early days, when almost nobody has symptoms. So the WHO’s own advice, which is wear a mask when you’re sick, really means everybody has to wear a mask!”

https://www.3aw.com.au/wear-a-mask-push-for-universal-mask-wearing-to-stop-spread-of-covid-19-gains-traction/

11 minutes ago, TVScout said:

“About 50 per cent of people with this virus don’t have any symptoms, and the WHO says ‘wear a mask if you’re sick’ but no one knows if they’re sick,” Mr Howard told 3AW’s Ross and John.

“The time you’re most infectious is in the early days, when almost nobody has symptoms. So the WHO’s own advice, which is wear a mask when you’re sick, really means everybody has to wear a mask!”

https://www.3aw.com.au/wear-a-mask-push-for-universal-mask-wearing-to-stop-spread-of-covid-19-gains-traction/

If only we had masks to wear

Also, social norms in the US still keep people from wearing masks when they probably should.

For example, i have a dust mask, efficiency rating of 99.999% at 0.3 micron and up.  I wear it for woodworking to keep the nasties out of my lungs.  But i haven't worn it to the grocery.  It's pretty intense looking, so I went face-naked and just stayed clear of people.

2 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:
5 hours ago, Cheesehawk said:

I'd listen to your doctor.

2nd'd. If you can't trust your pediatrician to know when it's ok to bring your kid in for vaccinations, might want to rethink why you'd let them see your kid at all ;)

(I would take my kid in if my pediatrician recommended it without hesitation, for the record)

• Like 1

Wait where did 50% of the people who get the virus are asymptomatic come from? That seems really really high, I mean I know there are people who are asymptomatic but 50%? You're telling me half the people who get this don't even get sick? I'm a little skeptical on that one...

Don't get me wrong I hope that's true, it's the type of statistic that helps put the mind at ease a little bit but I just find it hard to believe that the number is that high.

Edited by rob_shadows

1 hour ago, theJ said:

Also, social norms in the US still keep people from wearing masks when they probably should.

For example, i have a dust mask, efficiency rating of 99.999% at 0.3 micron and up.  I wear it for woodworking to keep the nasties out of my lungs.  But i haven't worn it to the grocery.  It's pretty intense looking, so I went face-naked and just stayed clear of people.

nyc my neighborhood is 80% masks, went to the pharmacy today

• Like 1

Okay so after a quick Google search it turns out the reason that number seems very high is because it's completely b/s, the highest official estimates are up to 25% of people who get it are asymptomatic so it's just another idiot making up numbers.