Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Webmaster

3 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Sports is not essential business. 

Professional sports are full of billionaires and multi-millionaires where the minimum salary is hundreds of thousands of dollars.

If anything, the NFL needed this and they need to use this as a way to determine fair streaming rights so that fans can watch which games they want.

In a world with Netflix, Disney+, CBS All Access, Apple Streaming, Prime Video there is no excuse for the NFL to charge 300 dollars for the ability to watch which games fans want to watch for an affordable price.

NFL has to go without fans in attendance, and they have to make it clear that if players risk themselves they risk not playing.  No matter if you're Geronimo Allison or Tom Brady, if you show up with a fever you're sent home and you're not playing. 

That, I think, is the only way the NFL season goes on as planned right now. 

What about other non essential businesses?

2 minutes ago, theJ said:

So you'll condemn millions to not having a job?

It’s essentially condemning millions not having a job vs killing possibly millions, overloading our hospitals more so, and tanking the economy that way.

Went to the grocery store today. First time in two weeks. All the anger hit me at once.

Saw a lady walk towards me, while heavily coughing right into the air without even trying to cover her mouth at all because she was more concerned with talking on the phone. Another lady cut in front of me at the checkout line as I was standing back, and legit got her face 5 inches from mine as she tried to squeeze past me to jump me in line for checkout. A bunch of other people not even attempting to pretend like they’re trying to follow social distancing policies.

People don’t ******* care, and they’re going to get people killed. 

8 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Sports is not essential business. 

Professional sports are full of billionaires and multi-millionaires where the minimum salary is hundreds of thousands of dollars.

If anything, the NFL needed this and they need to use this as a way to determine fair streaming rights so that fans can watch which games they want.

In a world with Netflix, Disney+, CBS All Access, Apple Streaming, Prime Video there is no excuse for the NFL to charge 300 dollars for the ability to watch which games fans want to watch for an affordable price.

NFL has to go without fans in attendance, and they have to make it clear that if players risk themselves they risk not playing.  No matter if you're Geronimo Allison or Tom Brady, if you show up with a fever you're sent home and you're not playing. 

That, I think, is the only way the NFL season goes on as planned right now. 

Agreed. But there is also a trickle down from the billionaire to millionaire to 100k employee to the next person to the next person and to the next that expands past each respective sport team and those people need those jobs that the sporting world provides.

They need to get creative once the curve is flattened just like every other non-essential business. They are just up against way more because of the amount of people involved. I believe they have the brain power and obviously the money to come up with a solution once we get this thing under control.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vikesfan89 said:

Do you all draw the line at sports or are you saying that all non essential businesses should stay closed until there is a vaccine?

I don't have a list of non essential things we've lost out on, but sports is probably the last one on the list that we should reopen.

At it's core, sports are irrelevant. But on top of that, sports are played in front of massive crowds, just a mass gathering of 80,000 people in a relatively small enclosure. All it takes is 1, 2, 3 people who are infected and this thing spreads again. Why risk it for something that is essentially worthless for everyone not on the field of play?

I don't know about you - but the last few weeks without sports has been a bit of a relief. Maybe it's the after effects of rooting for the Texans, Astros and Rockets - possible, all of those teams are in the middle of their own **** show - but I actually like not getting into heated arguments about Team A vs Team B, what player to draft, what player to sign, etc.

It's actually been nice without sports. I couldn't do it in perpetuity, but I could use a month or two of downtime from watching and worrying about sports.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, pwny said:

Went to the grocery store today. First time in two weeks. All the anger hit me at once.

Saw a lady walk towards me, while heavily coughing right into the air without even trying to cover her mouth at all because she was more concerned with talking on the phone. Another lady cut in front of me at the checkout line as I was standing back, and legit got her face 5 inches from mine as she tried to squeeze past me to jump me in line for checkout. A bunch of other people not even attempting to pretend like they’re trying to follow social distancing policies.

People don’t ******* care, and they’re going to get people killed. 

It's a completely different story here. Pretty much everyone was wearing masks and gloves, giving each other plenty of space, no crowding, wiping things down - everyone here in Sugar Land knew how to behave themselves. 

What store did you go to? I'd highly suggest going to HEB, they have been ahead of the curve since this pandemic broke out; They studied the pandemic as it happened in China, fortified their supply chain and were completely ready for the madness.

This is a pretty interesting article on it, HEB really did their homework on it.

https://www.texasmonthly.com/food/heb-prepared-coronavirus-pandemic/

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, ET80 said:

I'd highly suggest going to HEB, they have been ahead of the curve since this pandemic broke out; They studied the pandemic as it happened in China, fortified their supply chain and we're completely ready for the madness.

This is a pretty interesting article on it, HEB really did their homework on it.

Probably not a great idea for me to be driving an hour and a half, sadly. 

3 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Oh hell, that far out from you? You DO live in the boonies...

They don’t even have one in Dallas. Closest one is decently on the other side of Dallas. 

Nevermind, looked it up.

All I got is Walmart or an area chain that is insanely expensive.  I’ll suffer the stares I get for wearing gloves and next time I’m wearing a mask.  I sprayed everything down after I got it home.  Beer tastes a little bit like Odoban, but Odoban was the only disinfectant available and I’d rather have my beer taste a little off than sip at some Covid Can.

Edited by Outpost31