Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Webmaster

14 hours ago, dtait93 said:

Good luck with that (not you obviously - the states if they take this route). Churches mostly gather by the hundreds. Stadiums, concerts, and conversations gather by the thousands. Not to mention all the other implications banning religious gatherings will bring.

Edit: And how does separation between church and state come into play in all of this? What are the rights of the churches?

If the churches were led correctly then they will put the safety of their congregation first and foremost. As my pastor said "I'm sure that God is fine with you glorifying him from the safety of your home." 

Plus you know, theologically speaking the church is in each believer.

• Like 7

10 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Calvert County in Maryland's health department just issued a recommended (but not mandated by the county commissioners) guideline for people going out for essential businesses, separated by letters of last name.  There are five groupings, and over a 10 day period you could go out twice.  

They had to publish another article just now explaining it more and hitting home on the "voluntary" portion because it went viral, and as I've pointed out, Maryland is having some increased grumblings about the stay at home order.  

Numbers are tapering off, and it seems we are following the patterns of the places that were infected before we were.  Why are local and state governments still trying to limit things like this is beyond me.  Especially when it seems most of the areas that aren't heavily urban are going to start coming out of this pretty soon.  

Also, Calvert County borders PG and Anne Arundel.  PG is one of the hardest hit counties due to it's proximity to Washington DC.  BWI Airport and the state capital are located in Anne Arundel, which also borders PG County.  Calvert County has one minor city and numerous smaller towns and municipalities.  I grew up in that county for a time, and go to church and events all over the county.  For the population they have, and the grocery stores that are all around, this is a measure that is not needed.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mission27 said:

Eh it looks like most of the major metros and hard hit states have pushed back to May 15th - May 20th range.  So we'll see what happens then.  I think by then there will be a lot of pressure to re-open and case numbers will be way down, we'll also be 3-4 weeks removed since Europe started to re-open.  Obviously re-opening is a process that can take weeks and months, so it may be June or July before things start to feel pretty normal.

Word is the DoD won't end their stop movement until July 1. But that announcement is coming Tuesday I believe.

2 hours ago, acowboys62 said:

I get what you are saying, but I think you took it too extreme.  Down right oppressive is extreme IMO.  I agree the system is not setup great, but the system is also not changing anytime soon, the old saying "adapt or die" feels appropriate.  I am in my great life situation because I adapted, I did not wait for the system to change, I changed my ability to thrive in a crap system. 

And yes, I agree with that most of the noise out there pumped by companies, media, etc. is BS...I have a massive disdain for that stuff, but what that really tells me and what this post kind of insinuates even if it was not meant to, is that people are too stupid to think for themselves.  If someone can't figure out that going to McDonald's daily vs eating a balance meal is the unhealthy thing...I am not sure anything would help them. 

I don't think we blame individuals enough, at the end of the day, each one of us creates our own situation, happiness, etc.  I do think on both extremes you have people who legit have zero chance to make it and others who do not have to raise an eye lid and get everything handed to them...in the middle I believe the majority of us sit.  And we all determine where we go, some against worse odds than others. 

I also don't get the comment about a dehumanizing housing and business market? 

The system can be changed, and should. Kinda defeatist to think otherwise. Why not push for a healthier system, that isn't so damaging?

This is such a problematic take. To cast aside people, and deem them "stupid" because they get caught up in the system around them? I think we can all agree, its an easy trap to fall into. Especially if most if not all food options around you are the most unhealthiest. Again, this is made worse by the economic climate. Long commutes, pay losing ground to cost of living, the ease of fast food create a perfect storm for bad habits. If things like where you live, income bracket, parents education level factor so heavily in an individuals healthiness, then somethings off.

This isn't even touching the whole healthcare issue. People wont go the doctor for guidance for a variety of reasons ; no time off from work (lost wages), No health insurance, cant afford co-pay or the prospect of a out of pocket max throwing you into debt. Which just compounds the issue, and prevents an sort of preventative care or educating. 

IDK, I kinda hate the "well I did it, I figured it out, I overcame" as some sort of indicator of how true, or significant an issue is. Context is so wildly different from person to person. And personal anecdotes are essentially a drop of Aquafina in a Olympic sized swimming pool of sewage water. (Actually, Aquafina inst too far from sewage water so bad metaphor). For me at least, I can think if tons of ways why my success or differing outcomes in situations were due to circumstances other people don't and wont have. Therefore, cant let my personal anecdotes factor in any sort of broad denial. 

For housing ; between the history of redlining, and battles around affordable housing, its definitely dehumanizing at its worst. because when you start excluding or forcing certain individuals out because they undermine your bottom line, you are choosing dollar over human. On top of it, food deserts are only really cleaned up through gentrification. Unfortunately, most people living in a pre-gentrified areas tend to be renters, and are priced out quite quickly (My hometown Seattle got hammered by this). Why yes there are grocery stores, Trader Joes, Salad Bars, quick sushi, vegetarian take out, all in walkable or biking distances,  but you need to be able to afford a 1700-2000 600 square foot apartment to access them regularly. Meaning, people usually have to move to another food desert. 

For businesses, healthier food options usually steer clear of the poorer areas, while the unhealth options fill the gaps. Its what create the deserts. Compounds the problem. 

Again our differing views and opinions probably just stem for differing … um .. "overall viewpoints". Haha. Anyway, to tie it back to COVID, IMO its hammering the USA because Americans are incredibly unhealthy. 

• Like 5

I agree with @animaltested on healthy food options and stearing clear of the poorer areas.  Where I work, the city of Annapolis, there is a huge wealth divide.  Multiple Title I schools, areas of section 8 housing, but on the other side of town, huge communities teeming with wealth.  Guess where all of those businesses are that he mentioned?  Much, much closer to the area of wealth, and clustered in the brand new (under 10 years old) towne center that attracted all of the high-end retail stores.  

Our education system is also so worried about passing standardized testing and getting kids ready for college who will never go, that they aren't preparing kids for life after high school.  No financial education, no one teaching you to cook or anything along those lines.  I had an employee who lived with his girlfriend and their baby, and they used all of their food allocation on junk food.  We actually gave them a few meals from our store and it was by far the healthiest thing they got.  He also didn't have skills beyond doing things like washing dishes and basic cleaning, and constantly had questions on finances for those he worked with.  Even the kids who work for us that are much better off, and headed to college, don't have a clue when it comes to many of these things either.  And with fast food and restaurants literally at our fingertips now with DoorDash. Grubhub, UberEats and stores themselves doing their own delivery (Chick-fil-A is driving around in smart cars now) I don't see things changing for the better any time soon.  

I'm not the healthiest person, but at least I can cook a balanced meal for myself, and Ill brag some and say I'm a pretty good grillmaster.  But it was picking things up from my grandmother and mom as they cooked, as well as working with a former chef at church to learn these things.  School didn't teach them to me at all.  

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Xenos said:

If the churches were led correctly then they will put the safety of their congregation first and foremost. As my pastor said "I'm sure that God is fine with you glorifying him from the safety of your home." 

Plus you know, theologically speaking the church is in each believer.

The context in which I was referring to was in reference to all of the, “non-essential” businesses being allowed to open but churches being forced to keep their doors shut for months or even a year because the state government deems it non-essential. For example, gyms were deemed non-essential. But gyms see hundreds of people a day, walking in and out, touching equipment and spreading their germs and yet are allowed to open. Many churches are going to look at those type of places being allowed to open while they’re being force shut and aren’t going to stand for it. 

And I agree with your pastor. And while yes theologically speaking you’re correct, it’s also theologically correct for the church to gather.

1 minute ago, dtait93 said:

The context in which I was referring to was in reference to all of the, “non-essential” businesses being allowed to open but churches being forced to keep their doors shut for months or even a year because the state government deems it non-essential. For example, gyms were deemed non-essential. But gyms see hundreds of people a day, walking in and out, touching equipment and spreading their germs and yet are allowed to open. Many churches are going to look at those type of places being allowed to open while they’re being force shut and aren’t going to stand for it. 

And I agree with your pastor. And while yes theologically speaking you’re correct, it’s also theologically correct for the church to gather.

Are they going to be allowed to open before churches? I would be upset if gyms, sporting events, and concerts were opened before churches were allowed to. But that's primarily because I don't think those "non-essential" large gatherings should happen until we have the proper testing and tracing in place.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Xenos said:

Are they going to be allowed to open before churches? I would be upset if gyms, sporting events, and concerts were opened before churches were allowed to. But that's primarily because I don't think those "non-essential" large gatherings should happen until we have the proper testing and tracing in place.

I was just going off the scenario someone else gave. I’m not sure what will happen, it will be interesting to say the least

Inside President Trump's plan to reopen the economy.

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/inside-trumps-plan-reopen-american-economy-201202154.html

President Donald Trump's plan to reopen the American economy after a near-total shutdown due to the coronavirus pandemic consists of three graduated phases, according to a copy of the proposed actions obtained by ABC News.

Trump unveiled the plan in a video conference call with the nation's governors on Thursday afternoon. The state leaders were instructed that they could move through the guidelines at their own pace and that the guidelines are not formal orders from the federal government, according to a person familiar with the call.

"Phase one" calls on employers to telework where possible, return to work in phases, minimize non-essential travel and make accommodations for the vulnerable populations within the workforce. It calls on all vulnerable individuals to "shelter in place," and when in public, all individuals should continue social distancing. Large venues, including churches and gyms, can open if they operate under “strict” social distancing and sanitation protocols. Bars should remain closed. Elective surgeries can resume.

However, a critical piece to this is the "gating criteria" that all states and regions should achieve before they can move on to phase one. This includes a "downward trajectory" of reported "influenza-like illnesses," "covid-like syndromic cases" and "documented cases" or "positive tests as a percent of total tests" within a 14-day period, as well as the ability for hospitals to "treat all patients without crisis care" and have a "robust testing program in place for at-risk healthcare workers, including emerging antibody testing."

In "phase two," non-essential travel for employers can resume. Schools and organized youth activity can reopen. Bars can operate with diminished standing room occupancy. Large venues can continue under “moderate” social distancing protocols.

The third phase says all these venues -- bars, gyms and large venues -- can reopen with “limited” social distancing and “standard” sanitation. Employers can resume “unrestricted staffing of worksites,” so employees can physically return to work. The final phase also reintroduces visits to senior care facilities and hospitals.

The president described the guidelines "as a bit of a negotiation," a source said.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, vikesfan89 said:

I could live with stage 1 for awhile although it would nice if bars were included

As a life long service industry worker with vulnerable health issues, I am dreading people pushing for the service industry to reopen