Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Webmaster

11 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Ever since I bought my house and "inherited" a Big Green Egg, I'm not a fan of getting steak out anymore when I can do it at home, season it the way I want it and cook it that way.  I'm close to adding a fourth grill too, so you can say I like to grill.  But I get what you mean, some of the food being delivered isn't great, and steak is going to be one of the things which isn't going to deliver well. That's you design the menu to try and offer something that will be able to be delivered.  Or push curbside so it can go directly from the grill to the customer outside.  Or design some sort of "meal to go/cook at home" thing.  

I also wonder how peak meal periods are going to change because of social distancing.  In theory, you can spread out your business to slower parts of the day instead of just the meal rush periods.  And then you can get people into the dining room.  It's just a question of how much are people's routines going to change while we are being social distanced.  For example, a lot of the QSR industry has pushed for the past decade on breakfast sales, and I can easily see those slumping down with people working from home now (or not wanting to go out as much.). I could see lunch delivery spiking for those who are working at home and want to treat themselves, which is where a steakhouse could break in with a hamburger/sandwich menu.  I could see dinner staying where it is, but being spread out because of restaurant capacity.  

I’m with you on grilling, BBQ and smoking. I haven’t gone out for a steak in a long while.

Its an event. 

A local place we frequent for breakfast is now doing take out breakfast Friday, Saturday, Sunday. I don’t think it will be very good but we will be ordering from them this weekend. It’s more a matter of wanting them to stay in business and keep people working.

I have a bit of a dilemma with all of this.

I’m trying my best to spend the money I can afford to spend in an effort to do my part. I’ve ordered toys for my grandkids, a bike for my grandsons birthday, meals from skip the dishes, hobby supplies from Michaels, a new iPad, swimming pool supplies, grocery delivery. We’ve signed up with a local fellow who has started an old fashioned dairy delivery business, new grill grates, and a bunch of other stuff. As soon as people are allowed back to work we are doing 20k worth of renovations.

My dilemma is that I’m not sure about ordering items right now. While I may be helping businesses stay open and keeping people employed I’m potentially putting them in harms way. I’m just not certain how many people working really want to be working. 

I would actually be interested in other people’s thoughts on this.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, WizeGuy said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/coronavirus-vaccine-first-human-trials-germany-approved-begin-a9477691.html%3famp

Gangsta, gangsta. Germany's engineers are top-notch. Fingers crossed this has positive results!!

Great news but it’s only phase one. Hopefully they see positive results and can advance to stage two. Phase one is typically a few months to a year. I’m sure, in the case of coved 19 they will do what they can to cut corners and shorten trial periods. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, diehardlionfan said:

I’m with you on grilling, BBQ and smoking. I haven’t gone out for a steak in a long while.

Its an event. 

A local place we frequent for breakfast is now doing take out breakfast Friday, Saturday, Sunday. I don’t think it will be very good but we will be ordering from them this weekend. It’s more a matter of wanting them to stay in business and keep people working.

I have a bit of a dilemma with all of this.

I’m trying my best to spend the money I can afford to spend in an effort to do my part. I’ve ordered toys for my grandkids, a bike for my grandsons birthday, meals from skip the dishes, hobby supplies from Michaels, a new iPad, swimming pool supplies, grocery delivery. We’ve signed up with a local fellow who has started an old fashioned dairy delivery business, new grill grates, and a bunch of other stuff. As soon as people are allowed back to work we are doing 20k worth of renovations.

My dilemma is that I’m not sure about ordering items right now. While I may be helping businesses stay open and keeping people employed I’m potentially putting them in harms way. I’m just not certain how many people working really want to be working. 

I would actually be interested in other people’s thoughts on this.

I don't think you should put that burden on your shoulders.  

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, diehardlionfan said:

J.....well, I’ve spent my entire life trying to do the right thing. Normally, it’s easier to determine.

I get it.  It's just that your action or inaction doesn't really affect a change here.  So i don't see the sense in worrying about it.

You also can't say for certain how these companies are operating, so you can't be sure you are putting anyone in harm's way.

@TLO and I, also known as the MoL, have created the below very helpful chart of COVID-19 case fatality ratio estimates based on antibody testing conducted to date: 

image.png

As you can see, the results of the antibody testing confirm with 100% certainty that the MoL are geniuses and that our initial estimate of 0.30% case fatality ratio was spot on, in contrast to the WHO whose estimate of >3% now appears wildly inaccurate. 

@ramssuperbowl99 I appreciate the congrats, but we're just glad to see this is less deadly than some had said.  The MoL are here to help the people.

source.gif

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

@ET80 I need an alibi.

Theres nowhere to run and nowhere to hide

The MoL, with their smugness and Taylor Swift, were righter than any of the experts as usual

Flashbacks to our 2016 Republican smugness rankings 100% predicting the top-5 finishers 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, theJ said:

I get it.  It's just that your action or inaction doesn't really affect a change here.  So i don't see the sense in worrying about it.

You also can't say for certain how these companies are operating, so you can't be sure you are putting anyone in harm's way.

I understand. However individual actions are always important. It’s really no different than social distancing etc. 

I appreciate your thoughts though. I feel better doing something rather than nothing so my plan is to continue what I’ve been doing. 

Im also starting to get cabin fever.😎 I haven’t been out much since January.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, BayRaider said:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/20/opinion/coronavirus-testing-pneumonia.html

Really good article. 

Definitely explains why the Official Closed Case Death Rate is 21% but the Critical Condition Rate has stayed at 5%. You can lower these numbers to whatever you want by the way. Let’s say 5% death rate and 1% Critical Condition Rate. The idea is the same. The readon for the difference in those numbers is death is sudden, which the article explains. 

It’s a silent killer. 

Basically causes pneumonia in everyone, wayyy before shortness of breath. By the time you have shortness of breath, you already need a ventilator. Absolutely nuts. 

I encourage peeps to read that article, I learned a lot. 

gotta love it. The guy swearing up and down that the death rate was gonna be like 15% is still trying to drove that train. Even though the actual death rate is like a third of that and thats only in documented cases. Its a near consensus that significantly more people have it, like many multiples more, thatat dont know or arent reported as positive cases. Morol of the story is to continue taking this seriously but no, its not that deadly. because its completley acceptable to just make up numbers to some folks, the death rate will be under 3%.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, GSUeagles14 said:

gotta love it. The guy swearing up and down that the death rate was gonna be like 15% is still trying to drove that train. Even though the actual death rate is like a third of that and thats only in documented cases. Its a near consensus that significantly more people have it, like many multiples more, thatat dont know or arent reported as positive cases. Morol of the story is to continue taking this seriously but no, its not that deadly. because its completley acceptable to just make up numbers to some folks, the death rate will be under 3%.

They are not made up numbers. The Death Rate in Official Closed Cases is still 21%. And that’s hundreds of thousands of Closed Cases. 

Is the actual real number 21%? No. Probably anywhere from 4 to 15%. But it’s certainly not 1-2% like some are suggesting. 

We won’t know the real number for years. But everyone said SARS was like 3-5% in real time and the actual projection, including non-official cases, came out to 15% 5 years later. And this is almost identical to SARS molecule wise. Like we are living in De Ja Vu. 

Edited by BayRaider

1 minute ago, BayRaider said:

Is the actual real number 21%? No. Probably anywhere from 4 to 15%. But it’s certainly not 1-2% like some are suggesting. 

Its certainly not 1-2%, you are correct.  Its lower than that.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

They are not made up numbers. The Death Rate in Official Closed Cases is still 21%. And that’s hundreds of thousands of Closed Cases. 

We won’t know the real number for years. But everyone said SARS was like 3-5% in real time and the actual projection, including non-official cases, came out to 15% 5 years later. And this is almost identical to SARS molecule wise. Like we are living in De Ja Vu. 

no , bro. you swore it was like 15%. and again, this is being incredibly generous as we all know a whole lot more people have it that isnt reported. Im so confused, you were pretty adamant.

6 minutes ago, GSUeagles14 said:

no , bro. you swore it was like 15%. and again, this is being incredibly generous as we all know a whole lot more people have it that isnt reported. Im so confused, you were pretty adamant.

I never “swore” it was 15%, an over exaggerated word on your part. And I still have 15% in my range. And I’m being pretty generous with my 4% in there. I think 5-10 years down the road, this thing will meet in the middle and be a consensus 9% Death Rate or so, and that includes the projection of Non-Official Cases. Just like how SARS was 3% in “real time” and 15% 5 years later. 

Edited by BayRaider