Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Webmaster

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/22/health/strokes-coronavirus-young-adults/index.html

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2020-04-22/coronavirus-first-known-fatality-us-california

Lot of people who died of Stroke or Heart Attack under 60 on their death certificate may have really died because of Coronavirus. 

Edited by BayRaider

6 hours ago, diehardlionfan said:

Get well soon.

Cheers man. I saw a dr today who told me I probably had a 24 hour bug nice timing there, as well as something called costochondritis, basically as a result of the covid infection.

I was told that it's not too serious, but that it might last a while.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Mega Ron said:

Cheers man. I saw a dr today who told me I probably had a 24 hour bug nice timing there, as well as something called costochondritis, basically as a result of the covid infection.

Well, hopefully not to long. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, ET80 said:

https://www.fox26houston.com/news/coronavirus-has-mutated-into-at-least-30-different-strains-study-finds

@ramssuperbowl99 and @Shanedorf - I think you've both mentioned that Covid-19 is limited in its ability to mutate (something along these lines, I don't science good). What do you make of this?

People are interested in the mutation rate as a proxy for how long we can expect a vaccine to be effective. But not all mutations are created equal. A very, very high level of how DNA/mutations work is that you have 4 bases in your DNA, which is made up of adenine, guanine, cytosine, and tyrosine, called A, G, C, and T because lazy. The order of those A, G, C, and Ts is how your body stores the recipes to make proteins, which are the things that cause your cells to do stuff. Viruses use RNA and have one different base pair, but apart from the verbage for our purposes we can consider it close enough so I'll be using human terminology throughout.

Proteins are made of 1 of 20 amino acids. So in order to tell your body which amino acid goes where, you need at least 20 different recipes of nucleotides. That means you end up with 3 nucleotides worth of information from the DNA, since there are 4 options, so 2 nucleotides would only give you 4*4=16 options. So we need 3. Which means there are 4*4*4=64 recipes that only direct 20 amino acids, so there are more than 1 code per each amino acid. 

This is a big deal, since the most simple mutation would be your body inadvertently copying an A into a T or a C to a G. And depending on where that happens, it could be impactful or not. For example, if you have AAA and there is a mutation and you end up with AAG, that mutation actually doesn't matter at all because both AAA and AAG call for the amino acid phenylalanine. That means the amino acid stays the same so the recipe still works even though the DNA is different. But if you have AAA and there is a mutation to GAA, that's a problem since now the recipe says glutamine. 

This type of mutation would be called a single nucleotide variants (SNV), which is what the paper measured. There are other types of mutations that are more profound than just swapping our a basepair. One other example would be taking AAA and removing a base pair so now you have AA. Since that would mess up the recipe for every single amino acid in the protein and likely render it useless. There are even crazier type of mutations, for example, the event that we think split humans off from our great ape ancestor was a mutation that combined two ape chromosomes into what became human chromosome 2.

So what we know so far is that this virus can mutate with SNV swaps, and that some of those swaps might have resulted in a stronger or weaker infection. How that impacts things is tough to know right now. One potential positive outcome would be that if there is only one or a couple of strains of COVID-19 that are dangerous, we could test for those specifically and then hopefully can intervene earlier since we may not need to focus much on the other cases. 

In terms of what this means for a vaccine, it potentially reduces how long the vaccine would be effective. (That said, if the vaccine is effective for a year+, that would still give us a big window for the pandemic to die back down since that'd be a year of herd immunity.) But keep in mind, the vaccine doesn't use the whole sequence of the virus, it just uses a very small part of the virus to develop antibodies. So for this type of vaccine, we want to find the part of the virus that would be the most highly conserved (read: would be the hardest to mutate).

Edited by ramssuperbowl99
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Mega Ron said:

Costochondritis isn’t serious at all, just uncomfortable.

Think of it as similar to tendinitis, only instead of tendons it’s the cartilage in your ribs.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ET80 said:

https://www.fox26houston.com/news/coronavirus-has-mutated-into-at-least-30-different-strains-study-finds

@ramssuperbowl99 and @Shanedorf - I think you've both mentioned that Covid-19 is limited in its ability to mutate (something along these lines, I don't science good). What do you make of this?

"Li's team found that some of the most aggressive strains of the virus were able to generate 270 times the viral load as the weakest strains; in addition, the aggressive strains killed the human cells fastest."

PRI_149700409.jpg?quality=90&strip=all&z

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Fun fact, when explaining this to my parents a few weeks ago, I left in the human chromosome 2 part in solely to make them mad.

I used to throw my cigarette butts on the roof when I wanted to make my parents mad...