Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Webmaster

1 hour ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Yeah this is where I think people are not getting it, the goal was never to stay at home and the virus will go away.

The world just can’t shut down in hopes of something that (honestly) isn’t a guarantee to be effective.  Obviously we need to monitor healthcare ability and some stuff can’t reopen yet for obvious reasons (amusement parks, etc) but we need to start with the basics and see how things go.

Masks and hand sanitizer need to be “edc” items for everyone moving forward and if things start going sideways again and we have hotspots, another 2-3 week lockdown will, and should, happen.

Hopefully 2-3 week lockdowns in the future can be limited in geographic scope too.  Now that we know a little more and have better (not perfect) testing capacity, and given this stuff will continue to get better and better, I dont think there's any reason the entire country needs to shut down because 1 city has a spike in case. 

31 minutes ago, mission27 said:

Hopefully 2-3 week lockdowns in the future can be limited in geographic scope too.  Now that we know a little more and have better (not perfect) testing capacity, and given this stuff will continue to get better and better, I dont think there's any reason the entire country needs to shut down because 1 city has a spike in case. 

Yeah that’s what I mean, cities, counties, perhaps a state at most.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Yeah that’s what I mean, cities, counties, perhaps a state at most.

This. If NYC sees another spike, seems unfair to shut down the entire state of NY given how big it is. 

Obviously the monitoring of such a thing is very hard in our country but still, they need to take a more specific approach to this thing for the follow up spikes. 

2 hours ago, Danger said:

In the court filing, the campaign for Allegheny County Republican Danny DeVito, a state house candidate, along with some local businesses, say what Gov. Wolf is doing is causing “unprecedented damage to the economy.”

200.gif

• Like 1

7 hours ago, MWil23 said:

Here's the reality: 

We HAVE flattened the curve and our hospitals are not overloaded any longer. Gradual reintroduction is necessary and the point, not 18-22 months of quarantine so that "no one else gets it".

Let's be nuanced when called for. My wife would laugh in your face if you said this to her. Hospitals are still operating with other units, sometimes 3-4 of them, converted into ICU wards. Drugs are still scarce. PPE is still being used longer than it should be. Reopening the economy in Chicago would be an absolute disaster right now.

Reopening the economy is not an on/off toggle. 

Edited by JDBrocks
  • Like 1

Just now, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Not defending politicians, but I think most people realIze it can be both.

For all intents and purposes Wolf has listened to experts and has made it clear he’s looked to shut down all non essential businesses until the curve is flattened. Then after the fact gradually open businesses back up.

35 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

Let's be nuanced when called for. My wife would laugh in your face if you said this to her. Hospitals are still operating with other units, sometimes 3-4 of them, converted into ICU wards. Drugs are still scarce. PPE is still being used longer than it should be. Reopening the economy in Chicago would be an absolute disaster right now.

There's an opposite faction that is also suffering because they're out of work and can't get money.  It's not a small group of people either.

Quite honestly - there's suffering all around, which is why this is a nuanced and complex discussion.

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

There are still spots struggling for sure, but my friends and former coworkers still working inpatient are getting low census as the hospitals don’t have patients in beds. This is in both Cincinnati and Cleveland.  

Is everywhere like this?  No, not at all. And I’m aware the reason we don’t have those issues is because our governor was very proactive.

At the same time though, just expecting people to sit in their house indefinitely isn’t a viable solution for a lot of people (not even talking about myself).  I mean, goobers are protesting after 5-6 weeks.  Imagine this after 3 months.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, theJ said:

There's an opposite faction that is also suffering because they're out of work and can't get money.  It's not a small group of people either.

Quite honestly - there's suffering all around, which is why this is a nuanced and complex discussion.

Yeah there’s no good answer here.

Theres a good answer for the economy, and there’s a good answer for health and healthcare, but it’s not that simple.

13 minutes ago, theJ said:

Not to mention the MoL has had to postpone multiple summits of debauchery. Can’t put a price tag on that tbh

• Like 2