Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Webmaster

28 minutes ago, ET80 said:

you may or may not be screwed, but I wouldn't worry too much about this particular study. They've already backpedaled twice in 2 days
Small sample size, no control group and more study needed. They also didn't control for age, which is kinda important here because we already know that age is a factor in COVID19 disease progression. Forbes is usually pretty good, this one - not so much.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Shanedorf said:

you may or may not be screwed, but I wouldn't worry too much about this particular study. They've already backpedaled twice in 2 days
Small sample size, no control group and more study needed. They also didn't control for age, which is kinda important here because we already know that age is a factor in COVID19 disease progression. Forbes is usually pretty good, this one - not so much.

A more interesting study is blood type O seems to have more immunity to COVID while blood type A seems to have more severe symptoms. I haven't read the actual study, but I found the premise interesting. I've been meaning to look more into it. 

16 minutes ago, WizeGuy said:

A more interesting study is blood type O seems to have more immunity to COVID while blood type A seems to have more severe symptoms. I haven't read the actual study, but I found the premise interesting. I've been meaning to look more into it. 

There seems to be some merit to this as it's been said for months now. I've been meaning to get my type checked but I think I'm A :( not too concerned now anyway. If I'm not walking my dog, I barely leave the house lol

2 hours ago, JTagg7754 said:

There seems to be some merit to this as it's been said for months now. I've been meaning to get my type checked but I think I'm A :( not too concerned now anyway. If I'm not walking my dog, I barely leave the house lol

ironically enough, a "good" article from Forbes that explains it

https://www.forbes.com/sites/claryestes/2020/03/20/what-the-relationship-between-blood-type-and-coronavirus-susceptibility-means-for-future-treatments/#77262de5677c

“If you are blood group A you shouldn't be more scared.” Says Dr. Petri, “The study shows very small changes in susceptibility. It goes from 31% of people who reportedly didn't have COVID-19 versus 38% who did. So it's tiny changes and it hasn't been replicated and the study has not yet been peer reviewed. So while it's interesting and it kind of makes sense biologically, it might not be true. Regardless, if it is true, it probably does not have a huge impact on overall susceptibility.”

As outlined in the study, the normal population in Wuhan has a blood type distribution of:

• Type A - 31%
  • Type B - 24%
  • Type AB - 9%
  • Type O - 34%

Comparatively, Wuhan residents who had contracted COVID-19 had a blood type distribution of:

• Type A - 38%
  • Type B - 26%
  • Type AB - 10%
  • Type O - 25%

Those are not major difference JTagg. People with Type A blood are generally superior in every way, so its hardly a surprise
that even viruses love us more than others who have inferior blood types.  :)

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Shanedorf said:

People with Type A blood are generally superior in every way, so its hardly a surprise

Dont tell my wife this, she's blood type A. She's already a confident and fiesty woman. She doesnt need more ammo!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Shanedorf said:

I wrote you in my will, though. You were to get my shares in Gilead Sciences, contingent on thanking @ramssuperbowl99 for the tip.

33 minutes ago, WizeGuy said:

Dont tell my wife this, she's blood type A. She's already a confident and fiesty woman. She doesnt need more ammo!

Confident and feisty....is far better (IMO) than docile and subservient.
Throw in intelligent and hot (or pushes your buttons....) and you've hit the quad-fecta.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, mission27 said:

At the bare minimum gyms and spas and whatnot need to shut down. Masks need to be required at all businesses when socially distancing isn't possible. Bars and restaurants need to be operating at a fraction of their total capacity.

It's not ideal, but if they don't act the alternative is quarantining again.

• Like 2

On 6/10/2020 at 6:53 AM, JTagg7754 said:

Good News Guy is back again! Get away doomer and gloomer!

"Final testing stage for potential coronavirus vaccine set to begin in July: report"

https://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/501999-final-testing-stage-for-coronavirus-vaccine-could-begin-in-july-report

"John Mascola, the director of the vaccine research center at the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, told the Journal that the trials will involve about 30,000 people at more than 50 sites, which will mostly be within the U.S. "

Phase 3 of the AZ/Oxford vaccine is set to begin in August according to this report. Johnson and Johnson apparently has one set to begin it's final phases in September. A lot of promise in Vaccineland. 

John Krasinski, is that you?

31 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

At the bare minimum gyms and spas and whatnot need to shut down. Masks need to be required at all businesses when socially distancing isn't possible. Bars and restaurants need to be operating at a fraction of their total capacity.

It's not ideal, but if they don't act the alternative is quarantining again.

This is where I am concerned with Maryland doing more with phase 2.  Gyms and 50% indoor dining capacity can reopen as well as malls, which can happen next week.  Not a fan of any of them happening right now.  It is very interesting how people are now reacting to Governor Hogan after this decision came out. 

1 hour ago, Shanedorf said:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/claryestes/2020/03/20/what-the-relationship-between-blood-type-and-coronavirus-susceptibility-means-for-future-treatments/#77262de5677c

“If you are blood group A you shouldn't be more scared.” Says Dr. Petri, “The study shows very small changes in susceptibility. It goes from 31% of people who reportedly didn't have COVID-19 versus 38% who did. So it's tiny changes and it hasn't been replicated and the study has not yet been peer reviewed. So while it's interesting and it kind of makes sense biologically, it might not be true. Regardless, if it is true, it probably does not have a huge impact on overall susceptibility.”

As outlined in the study, the normal population in Wuhan has a blood type distribution of:

• Type A - 31%
  • Type B - 24%
  • Type AB - 9%
  • Type O - 34%

Comparatively, Wuhan residents who had contracted COVID-19 had a blood type distribution of:

• Type A - 38%
  • Type B - 26%
  • Type AB - 10%
  • Type O - 25%

Those are not major difference JTagg. People with Type A blood are generally superior in every way, so its hardly a surprise

The difference is 16 points. OTOH:

"

Researchers from the US National Cancer Institute and Tehran University of Medical Sciences studied a cohort of 50,045 people over the age of 40 in Iran since 2004. All participants were initially interviewed and their blood type determined. This cohort was followed-up on a yearly basis with a follow-up rate of 99%. During an average period of 7 years, 3623 of the cohort participants died. The most common causes of death were cardiovascular disease (1879 participants, 51.9% of total deaths) and cancer (775 people, 21.4% of total deaths).

The results of the study showed that during this follow-up, people with non-O blood group (A, B and AB), had, on average, 9% higher risk of death from a medical disease, and 15% higher risk of dying from cardiovascular disease. There was no significant association between blood groups and dying from cancer, but an increased risk of developing gastric cancer was seen among those having the A and B blood groups."

https://www.biomedcentral.com/about/press-centre/science-press-releases/15-01-2015