Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Webmaster

8 minutes ago, Danger said:

just added some text of my own. This is not a plague. In short. Meriam-Webster is using a broadstroke brush, that is quite frankly, incorrect.

No. The word itself existed before the Bubonic plague (the one that the CDC is referencing).

arguing semantics about what constitutes a plague is peak 2020 though.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, acowboys62 said:

I did not read the entire article, but if you have a vent tube in aren't you in a COMA? And in that case do you actually recall things like dreams? 

They seek to minimize the depth of sedation to reduce the risk of the patient never coming back up.

10 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

No. The word itself existed before the Bubonic plague (the one that the CDC is referencing).

arguing semantics about what constitutes a plague is peak 2020 though.

I just personally think we should keep the word plague reserved for the truly catastrophic illnesses as we have in the past, not every epidemic needs to be called a plague and to my knowledge no illness with a mortality rate under 10% has ever been widely called a plague and Covid is well under 10% even in the highest estimations.

There are active diseases in the world with plague potential... If Ebola became an epidemic for example it would likely be considered a plague by most.

Then again maybe if we started calling Covid a plague maybe people would stop refusing to wear masks 🤔

• Like 1

Another interesting question in regards to whether or not something should be called a plague....

Do you take medical intervention into account? For example the bubonic plague at it's peak had a mortality rate of over 50% but with modern medicine the mortality rate for those who get it (it is still around just not very common) is estimated to be between 10% to 15% so despite it having plague in the name would it really be considered a plague anymore when taking modern medical intervention into account?

Just a thought I thought was interesting.

1 hour ago, Shanedorf said:

I'm waiting for the PFF numbers to come out before I can be certain of who is doing it wrong and why they are doing it wrong

* PFF = Protesters Facial Focus

I don’t think I’ve ever understood one of your replies to a comment of mine. I’m sure there is a joke in there somewhere but idk. 

1 hour ago, JDBrocks said:

So you are telling someone else they are wrong based on personal speculation and recollection. Got it.

Someone made a comment based on nonsense, I called it out, you chimed in with a smart *** comment, I responded and that’s all you have to comment? 

Got it. 

45 minutes ago, rob_shadows said:

Another interesting question in regards to whether or not something should be called a plague....

Do you take medical intervention into account? For example the bubonic plague at it's peak had a mortality rate of over 50% but with modern medicine the mortality rate for those who get it (it is still around just not very common) is estimated to be between 10% to 15% so despite it having plague in the name would it really be considered a plague anymore when taking modern medical intervention into account?

I mean, 10-15% sounds really high when you consider the population of the US.

3 hours ago, acowboys62 said:

Same with seat belt laws. However, my position has always been, we know exactly what a shoe is, and a shirt...what I see count as a "mask" is laughable and frustrating. 

What counts as a mask? Something that keeps water droplets from leaving a person’s nose and mouth?

3 hours ago, acowboys62 said:

Three months ago all we had to do was flatten the curve and help out the hospitals. O.o This was inevitable. 

Not really inevitable if people just wear a mask. Heck look at Japan for instance. They bungled it as badly as we did and never went into lockdown at all. And yet they are doing so much better.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2020/06/06/world/asia/japan-coronavirus-masks.amp.html

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rob_shadows said:

A lot of the people dying now probably wouldn't have been around before all of the medical advances 

2 hours ago, Shanedorf said:

I'm waiting for the PFF numbers to come out before I can be certain of who is doing it wrong and why they are doing it wrong

* PFF = Protesters Facial Focus

Just had to clarify the “PFF” so people couldn’t poop on the numbers if they didn’t like them huh?

• Like 3