Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Webmaster

My wife’s hospital has opted to not split ventilators. She said the info they received is that the mortality rate is 60% when this is done. They are also are not going to code patients in most cases because patient outcomes are so terrible after coding with COVID-19.

I’ve never seen her in such bad shape, or felt so personally powerless. They think they are about 25% of the way to the peak.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, vikesfan89 said:

What percentage of people need ventilators? Is there even 40,000 confirmed cases yet? I'm not saying they won't need that many but wouldn't things have to get quite a bit worse?

It wouldn't hurt to over prepare

5% of cases

10 minutes ago, vikesfan89 said:

What percentage of people need ventilators? Is there even 40,000 confirmed cases yet? I'm not saying they won't need that many but wouldn't things have to get quite a bit worse?

It wouldn't hurt to over prepare

To the first question, i don't know.  To the second, yes.  85k confirmed in the US.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

Obviously not all in one place.  Looks like half of them in NYC.

8 minutes ago, vikesfan89 said:

Why can't they send some people to other hospitals? Or would that risk spreading it too much

Detroit is contemplating using hotel rooms and empty college dorm rooms because of a lack of bed issues. 

7 hours ago, BayRaider said:

Well, even during Coronavirus, nice to see Carr and Mariota are really hard at work. You really can’t take those guy’s work ethic away.

You are something else.... you'll bring your Carr bashing into a thread about global pandemic? Grow up peter pan. 

1 minute ago, big_palooka said:

You are something else.... you'll bring your Carr bashing into a thread about global pandemic? Grow up peter pan. 

Personally I just took it as trying to lighten the mood a little, didn't really have a problem with it.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, mistakey said:

Yes

Yeah idk about that, lastest reports are that the infection rates are already slowing (going from doubling every 2 days to doubling every 4 days) in New York and we aren't even a tenth of the way to 800k active cases.

It's certainly possible but if the infection rates continue to slow I'm not so sure the number of active cases gets that high.