Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Webmaster

CDC Director, Robert Redfield:

“We’re seeing, sadly, far greater suicides now than we are deaths from Covid. We’re seeing far greater deaths from drug overdose, that are above excess, than we had as background, than we are seeing deaths from Covid.”

4 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

While sad and awful, those aren’t contagious diseases that impact others.

The fact that mental healthcare and drug treatment are lacking doesn’t mean we discount the virus.

I respectfully disagree with cutting off our nose to spite our face.

Welp just found out my household has been in contact with people who tested positive and now 3 of us (including myself) have been feeling a little sick so I set up to be tested in a couple hours.

I haven't had the fever or cough just feel really tired and a little achy but I figure better to be safe than sorry it's only costing me 20 bucks to get tested and they are giving me the rapid test so I'll get my results right there

Edited by rob_shadows

The CDC is all about disease control, and are not competent authorities to speak on drug addiction or suicide.

"In interviews with numerous public health experts, including eight current CDC officials, many said they are disillusioned by Redfield, telling CNN he's failed to push back against White House efforts to sideline the CDC and politicize its science.
While sources consistently described Redfield as a respected doctor, they also view him as a relatively ineffectual public health leader at a time of pandemic, and a pawn of the President's political agenda.

"A major problem for our agency is lack of leadership," said one CDC official who spoke about Redfield on the condition of anonymity for fear of reprisal.
"He's a very nice guy, but I think he was put in place to serve a political purpose, not to lead an agency."
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

The CDC is all about disease control, and are not competent authorities to speak on drug addiction or suicide.

"In interviews with numerous public health experts, including eight current CDC officials, many said they are disillusioned by Redfield, telling CNN he's failed to push back against White House efforts to sideline the CDC and politicize its science.
While sources consistently described Redfield as a respected doctor, they also view him as a relatively ineffectual public health leader at a time of pandemic, and a pawn of the President's political agenda.

"A major problem for our agency is lack of leadership," said one CDC official who spoke about Redfield on the condition of anonymity for fear of reprisal.
"He's a very nice guy, but I think he was put in place to serve a political purpose, not to lead an agency."

I wasn’t going to touch on the political part, but it’s impossible to overlook.

Especially when he’s framing the situation as an either/or, like addressing mental heath, substance abuse and covid simultaneously is impossible.

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, rob_shadows said:

Welp just found out my household has been in contact with people who tested positive and now 3 of us (including myself) have been feeling a little sick so I set up to be tested in a couple hours.

I haven't had the fever or cough just feel really tired and a little achy but I figure better to be safe than sorry it's only costing me 20 bucks to get tested and they are giving me the rapid test so I'll get my results right there

I was tired and achy and felt feverish for about a week back in April. Never got tested though b/c my wife never experienced any symptoms. I'll be interested in hearing your results. Hoping for the best for you.

Healthcare and education reform haven’t been addressed in 80+ years here and hopefully a plus of Covid is that they have to be now...but we shall see. It may take a landmark court case precedent, which will be too late for this but hope have positive fallout going forward.

• Like 1