Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Webmaster

1 minute ago, mistakey said:

modi just locked down nearly 20% of the worlds population in their own homes - cannot even leave their homes - because he knows this disesease spreads so rapidly
why is it so hard to fathom that 800k (10% of NYC) could get this disease?

not to mention albany, rochester, buffalo, syracuse, etc

11 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

nor are many of these guys here, in their "projections," considering that ventilators are needed for other patients with non-CV related cases.

This is what some people don’t seem to be grasping.  Every other disease and illness doesn’t just go away because this is happening.

If a hospital has say 50 vents, they’re likely using 30-40 on a regular basis.  This isn’t “we’ve had 50 vents for CV patients”. No.  With pushing all non emergent surgeries you may have 25 (as an example).

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, vikesfan89 said:

It seems like he's exaggerating how many he needs so that he gets the amount that he actually needs

25 minutes ago, mistakey said:

Hes not exaggerating, hes listening to experts and doctors who are already at capacity.  The federal govt isnt helping them.  Thats the end of the story.

This.

Most politicians don’t just operate on hunches and their own opinions.  I’m guessing he’s not the one doing the math.  The physicians and hospital administrators are likely giving him the numbers and he’s simply relaying it.

Are they building in some wiggle room?  Perhaps. But it’s not 300%.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, mistakey said:

modi just locked down nearly 20% of the worlds population in their own homes - cannot even leave their homes - because he knows this disesease spreads so rapidly
why is it so hard to fathom that 800k (10% of NYC) could get this disease?

Yeah I guess it could happen. Hopefully the lock downs actually do something

57 minutes ago, vikesfan89 said:

40 K is 5% of 800K. And that's counting the ones that they already have right?

Sorry to go back a few pages, but where did that 40k number come?

The link i posted was active cases, and in the case of NYC not necessarily 40k on vents.  Some are able to get by with oxygen only.  Some just need to take it easy at home.  Intubating is the last line of defense.

Just now, vikesfan89 said:

Yeah I guess it could happen. Hopefully the lock downs actually do something

see mwil23's post.  its guaranteed that they do something for those particular locales.  they spread the infections over a longer period of time.  unfortunately certain states arent doing this.  

Just now, theJ said:

Sorry to go back a few pages, but where did that 40k number come?

The link i posted was active cases, and in the case of NYC not necessarily 40k on vents.  Some are able to get by with oxygen only.  Some just need to take it easy at home.  Intubating is the last line of defense.

he added the 10k that NYC currently has, with the 30k total that cuomo said we needed, even though it was 30k total.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

This is what some people don’t seem to be grasping.  Every other disease and illness doesn’t just go away because this is happening.

If a hospital has say 50 vents, they’re likely using 30-40 on a regular basis.  This isn’t “we’ve had 50 vents for CV patients”. No.  With pushing all non emergent surgeries you may have 25 (as an example).

Precisely. My wife's hospital had 16 vents for ~200 beds. She jumped up and down early last week and was able to get them to rent 10 more. All are currently in use now, and roughly 25% of the beds have have CV patients. Her unit is full, and today they are converting the PACU into a negative pressure unit to add more ICU beds.

Unrelated, but she went to her HR department last night and demanded that they start working on mental health resources for her nurses for when this is over.

• Like 5

Just now, JDBrocks said:

Precisely. My wife's hospital had 16 vents for ~200 beds. She jumped up and down early last week and was able to get them to rent 10 more. All are currently in use now, and roughly 25% of the beds have have CV patients. Her unit is full, and today they are converting the PACU into a negative pressure unit to add more ICU beds.

Unrelated, but she went to her HR department last night and demanded that they start working on mental health resources for her nurses for when this is over.

your wife seems like shes a bonafide hero

• Like 6

1 minute ago, mistakey said:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/26/us/politics/coronavirus-ventilators-trump.html

love 2 know that the federal govt is just too cheap

I can't read much of it without signing up but it looked like they are considering other options and that the number of ventilators that they would get out of it dropped drastically?

2 minutes ago, mistakey said:

he added the 10k that NYC currently has, with the 30k total that cuomo said we needed, even though it was 30k total.

Actually I went with the higher number of 30-40K. I didn't add the current ones on until later which I shouldn't have

2 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

I think so. I think we owe all of the people leaning into this a debt of gratitude. 

just like the first responders were seen as heroes for their day of 9/11 actions, medical staff needs to be treated the same way now.

• Like 4