Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Webmaster

21 minutes ago, pwny said:

Another 17 year old died because he was denied care because he didn’t have health insurance...

https://gizmodo.com/teen-who-died-of-covid-19-was-denied-treatment-because-1842520539

What a vile system. 

So a few things,

1.UC’s are private business and will absolutely treat you without insurance, provided you can pay for the services. They’re not required to treat you though.

2. Hospitals can’t turn someone away if they need emergency care.  That’s why they directed the kid there.

3. The kid went into cardiac arrest on the way to the ER from the UC.  Even if it had happened at the UC, they’re not really equipped to handle that.  

4. In my experience if an urgent care thinks a patient (or potential patient) is too sick to be seen there, they’ll call EMS. What I mean is, if you walk in clutching your chest and grasping for air, they’re not going to point you to the ER they’re going to call for you and provide care until they arrive. SOP.  

Obviously just reading between the lines, but I don’t think it’s a matter of insurance so much as just an awful situation all around.  The kid likely didn’t present as critical and was referred somewhere where they couldn’t refuse him (this is one reason ER’s are typically packed with nonsense btw, they have to evaluate you and they require no immediate payment.  As far as the bill later, can’t get blood from a turnip).

Not defending the system though, you guys know where I stand on that.

• Like 5

The problem is that we drill it into people’s heads to go to urgent care and not the emergency room unless you’re literally dying that exact second, so as that people that are dying can get the care they need the second they need it. And the kid did exactly that, and died because of it.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, pwny said:

The quote is someone who is ignorant to a situation suggesting a “fix” to a situation that is completely missing that the whole issue isn’t simply the lack of bread (or that one hospital has run out of ventilators). It’s a systemic problem that can’t be fixed by simply eating less obtainable brioche or shipping loads of people to other hospitals that have also nearly hit capacity.

Yes, there’s probably a few ventilators in other hospitals that can be used. But those too are almost to capacity and soon will be from patients arriving directly from those communities. Shifting people around completely misses the point that all hospital in and around these communities are overrun. 

Again the term Midwest was thrown out. I doubt he would have said the same thing had he heard a NY hospital has run out. Midwest can mean Detroit and it can also mean Omaha, again it's not unreasonable to assume that there are hospital's with spares that can be used. Is it an endless supply? No, but his question does not stem from the idea that there must be plenty to go around considering he's always in here. He was just asking if they could send them to surrounding hospitals to help mitigate the overrun as best they can. 

That is not complete ignorance to the situation outside of Versailles. It was a poor comparison to insinuate that he does not know or care for whats happening. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

He wasn't immediately dying at the urgent care center. Had he gone into cardiac arrest there, the center would have a legal obligation to treat the heart attack because that is an emergency medical condition. 

@LETSGOBROWNIES probably would know if him having a heart attack in the waiting room may have prompted the urgent care to actually treat him for coronavirus. I'd guess no.

UC and ER are two different things.

UC isn’t prepared to handle either cardiac arrest or severe covid symptoms.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, pwny said:

The problem is that we drill it into people’s heads to go to urgent care and not the emergency room unless you’re literally dying that exact second, so as that people that are dying can get the care they need the second they need it. And the kid did exactly that, and died because of it.

True, but this is an exceptionally rare scenario.  

Just now, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

UC and ER are two different things.

UC isn’t prepared to handle either cardiac arrest or severe covid symptoms.

Legally, they couldn't turn him away right? Even if "treatment" in this case would be calling an ambulance and CPR, they legally still have to do something right?

2 minutes ago, pwny said:

I tried making an appointment at the clinic once because it wasn't anything major but they said that I had to go to the ER because of my symptoms. I felt dumb

18 minutes ago, kingseanjohn said:

A hospital being at capacity doesn't mean there's 40k people with covid-19 there. People in a hospital also have broken bones, heart attacks, organ donations, etc. The issue is that with the rising number of covid-19 patients, there isn't enough beds for everyone with any issue requiring hospitalization.

I was just addressing the idea that Michigan is already as bad as New York is right now. But 40K people is a whole lot more then a few thousand without the ability to get medical care. I'm sure there's more that are just untested but the same is true for NY. So a city that has hundreds of people waiting for care is a little less extreme then possible tens of thousands that can't get medical care is all I was getting at. 

Just now, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Legally, they couldn't turn him away right? Even if "treatment" in this case would be calling an ambulance and CPR, they legally still have to do something right?

Yeah, if they thought he was going into cardiac arrest they’d call a squad and administer basic cpr at a minimum.

Im guessing they have a defibrillator, ambu bag, etc.  not sure about ACLS supplies/meds, I doubt it.

• Like 1

Just now, vikesfan89 said:

I tried making an appointment at the clinic once because it wasn't anything major but they said that I had to go to the ER because of my symptoms. I felt dumb

Chest pain?  Shortness of breath?  Vision changes? Moderate/severe trauma?

Stuff like that is a no go at an urgent care.

• Like 1

Just now, vikesfan89 said:

I went to urgent care once for an issue that had been handled by urgent care literally 1 year prior. Exact same issue, symptoms, everything. Sat in the office for about 40 minutes before they told me that they wouldn’t help me and I needed to go to the emergency room. Was a great day.

Just now, pwny said:

I went to urgent care once for an issue that had been handled by urgent care literally 1 year prior. Exact same issue, symptoms, everything. Sat in the office for about 40 minutes before they told me that they wouldn’t help me and I needed to go to the emergency room. Was a great day.

Lol that sucks.

2 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

That’s the kind of stuff that makes people furious.  It’s like they try to play by the rules, but the goal posts keep moving.

Good buddy of mine had cancer a while back, and has said over and over again haggling with insurance and the logistics was more unpleasant than the treatment - and he had both chemo and radiation.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Good buddy of mine had cancer a while back, and has said over and over again haggling with insurance and the logistics was more unpleasant than the treatment - and he had both chemo and radiation.

Well I work for an insurer and I feel confident your buddy wasn’t lying.

• Like 2