Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Webmaster

So I started collecting video game systems like 3 years ago just for something to do with my money other than just staying alive. And like a week ago, **** dove so hard, everything was going on auction like 33% or so lower than usual and I know what about all of them are worth anymore. Okay yeah people don't have money. Now that **** seems higher, and I'm guessing it's because everyone's bored af?

3 minutes ago, pwny said:

That can't be good.

I know I've asked but how soon after exposure can they usually test?

Edited by vikesfan89

4 minutes ago, pwny said:

This is horrible for it spreading worse. Seems like once you get it, and recover, you can get it again but won’t get sick, but you can have it again and spread it. 

From that article:

In February, Wang Chen, a director at the state-run Chinese Academy of Medical Sciences, estimated that the nucleic acid tests used in China were accurate at identifying positive cases of the coronavirus only 30%-50% of the time.

Another theory is that, because the test amplifies tiny bits of DNA, residual virus from the initial infection could have falsely resulted in that second positive reading.

"There are false positives with these types of tests," Dr. Jeffrey Shaman, a professor of environmental health sciences at Columbia University, told NPR by email. Shaman recently co-authored a modeling study showing that transmission by individuals who did not exhibit any symptoms was a driver of the Wuhan outbreak.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, pwny said:

It ain’t good...

Even with antibodies that would limit the effects of a second infection, it would mean these individuals would still be contagious.

Long story short, if people can be reinfected and carriers that quickly, this social isolation stuff isn’t going to be over soon.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Heimdallr said:

From that article:

In February, Wang Chen, a director at the state-run Chinese Academy of Medical Sciences, estimated that the nucleic acid tests used in China were accurate at identifying positive cases of the coronavirus only 30%-50% of the time.

Another theory is that, because the test amplifies tiny bits of DNA, residual virus from the initial infection could have falsely resulted in that second positive reading.

"There are false positives with these types of tests," Dr. Jeffrey Shaman, a professor of environmental health sciences at Columbia University, told NPR by email. Shaman recently co-authored a modeling study showing that transmission by individuals who did not exhibit any symptoms was a driver of the Wuhan outbreak.

This is the other part of it.

The results are only as good as the tests.  If the info is sketch...

28 minutes ago, mistakey said:

florida should be looking within, not outwards.. .

Depends.  My dad and stepmom spend part of their time in the UP in Michigan, but their primary residence is Pensacola.  Pensacola to New Orleans is just under a three hour drive, and a lot of residents of the panhandle make that trip every so often, and probably just went for Mardi Gras a few weeks ago.  They probably do it 3-4 times a year, and they spend maybe 7 months total in Florida.   So it makes sense.  It also makes sense for them to do more on the home front, but that doesn't negate looking outward either.  

Just now, naptownskinsfan said:

Depends.  My dad and stepmom spend part of their time in the UP in Michigan, but their primary residence is Pensacola.  Pensacola to New Orleans is just under a three hour drive, and a lot of residents of the panhandle make that trip every so often, and probably just went for Mardi Gras a few weeks ago.  They probably do it 3-4 times a year, and they spend maybe 7 months total in Florida.   So it makes sense.  It also makes sense for them to do more on the home front, but that doesn't negate looking outward either.  

I think his point is more that Florida needs to be doing more on their end to contain this than looking at outsiders as the issue.

They still have public beaches open, no? (Or did as recently as this week)

Just now, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I think his point is more that Florida needs to be doing more on their end to contain this than looking at outsiders as the issue.

They still have public beaches open, no? (Or did as recently as this week)

Yes, that's true, but people heading to Louisiana from parts of Florida is definitely a real issue, like people from big cities going to their vacation homes and going about their normal routines, which is why Delaware essentially enacted a shelter in place order earlier this week.  

2 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Yes, that's true, but people heading to Louisiana from parts of Florida is definitely a real issue, like people from big cities going to their vacation homes and going about their normal routines, which is why Delaware essentially enacted a shelter in place order earlier this week.  

Oh for sure.  People leaving the house at all right now unnecessarily is the issue.  

I don’t think I can be more clear about this, but unless it is absolutely necessary that you be out, you need to keep your silly arse at home.  No exceptions.  And people don’t get it, plain and simple.

”but this can’t be that big of a deal” is going to be our downfall.

• Like 6

For those of you who are talking about testing negative and the positive, the WHO stated (I can't find where) that you don't get infected again. It's just that after overcoming all of its symptoms there's a fluctuating amount of residual virus in you body for up to 16 days. Here in Spain if you get cured you must stay at home for at least two weeks doing self-quarantine. I know it because I am delivering food to a couple of friends who are in this situation.