Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Webmaster

1 hour ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

How are we supposed to know people are really positive or not?

The error rates on these tests are like 2%. That's not 100% so you never really "know" unless you also get sick and show symptoms, but 98% is more than accurate enough to give confidence that the test result is accurate. 

• Like 2

updates on the Novovax vaccine, encouraging results

https://blogs.sciencemag.org/pipeline/archives/2020/08/06/vaccine-data-from-novavax

The interesting item on this one is how much better the response was with adjuvant vs without.
You'd expect to see somewhat better results, but in this case it made an IMMENSE difference in the response.

adjuvant = a helper/catalyst molecule that isn't specific to treating COVID, it boosts the immune response to any vaccine.

2 minutes ago, vikesfan89 said:

Interesting.  So Dewine and Stafford will show up as a coronavirus case even though they don't have it?

I believe they'd be listed, yes. And people who tested negative but had COVID (false negatives) will be listed as negatives, so it cancels out.

Again, the rate is like 2%. This isn't interesting, because it has completely negligible impact. It just happened to a famous person, but when enough famous people get COVID that's to be expected too.

Edited by ramssuperbowl99
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

I believe they'd be listed, yes. And people who tested negative but had COVID (false negatives) will be listed as negatives, so it cancels out.

Again, the rate is like 2%. This isn't interesting, because it has completely negligible impact. It just happened to a famous person, but when enough famous people get COVID that's to be expected too.

allegedly!

8 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Aren't a lot of people that have false negative going to get tested again?

2% of millions of tests is a lot of people

4 minutes ago, vikesfan89 said:

Fair enough.  It just surprised me that those would be included

Think about from a different angle and it might make more sense: what matters more to you, a 2% error rate that goes both directions (so the total stats are still quite accurate), or the trust in the dataset you get knowing that every single test and case is included and that people aren't excluding cases based on their personal opinion or inconsistent criteria?

Edited by ramssuperbowl99
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Think about from a different angle and it might make more sense: what matters more to you, a 2% error rate that goes both directions (so the total is still stats are quite accurate), or the trust in the dataset you get knowing that every single test and case is included and that people aren't excluding cases based on their personal opinion or inconsistent criteria?

I get keeping personal influence out of it but it seems like they could have a system where if a positive test is followed by 2 negatives in a certain number of days it would come off the positive list since a negative followed by a positive would go on the positive list

At the end of the day you are right that it wouldn't amount much difference either way

1 minute ago, vikesfan89 said:

I get keeping personal influence out of it but it seems like they could have a system where if a positive test is followed by 2 negatives in a certain number of days it would come off the positive list since a negative followed by a positive would go on the positive list

At the end of the day you are right that it wouldn't amount much difference either way

You could request that each sample is repeated twice and then go with whatever is 2/3, but now you're running a lot of samples for asymptomatic, positive people in duplicate and just confirming the overwhelming majority of them. The false negatives are the bigger problem since that would potentially cause people to think they're okay and spread it, but repeating every negative test in duplicate would be completely impossible. 

One of those situations where its a manageable problem without a practical solution, so we've just gotta deal with it.

5 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

You could request that each sample is repeated twice and then go with whatever is 2/3, but now you're running a lot of samples for asymptomatic, positive people in duplicate and just confirming the overwhelming majority of them. The false negatives are the bigger problem since that would potentially cause people to think they're okay and spread it, but repeating every negative test in duplicate would be completely impossible. 

One of those situations where its a manageable problem without a practical solution, so we've just gotta deal with it.

Right i guess I was just talking about the people the get tested multiple times anyways,  so mostly just the rich and famous