Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Webmaster

Initially a  "case" was somebody with enough symptoms to seek medical attention
Then a "case" became a positive test after we learned that they could be positive and asymptomatic.
I will note that a person who tests positive once, will not be counted again even if they test positive in follow up tests
1 positive / person for counting purposes

On 8/4/2020 at 7:50 PM, Shanedorf said:

Thanks for the link
At first I was concerned that this was just more grandstanding by politicians - but after reading the article, it looks like I was wrong. This sounds like an excellent program and assuring the test kit mfgs that there's a robust market allows them to ramp up production/hiring/capacity without hesitation.
Xenos - One of the companies making the kits, Quidel, is based in San Diego. Solid company with a reputation for producing high quality tests

Uh oh:

https://radio.wosu.org/post/two-tests-two-results-explaining-gov-dewines-covid-testing-confusion

Or, there may be an issue with the test itself. What happened to DeWine also happened to residents in a town in Vermont. There, 65 people took an antigen test from Quidel, the same company that did DeWine's test. They all tested positive. 

However, after taking follow-up PCR tests, the majority of those Vermont residents tested negative, just like DeWine. Quidel could not be reached for comment. 

I don't see the point in having so many different tests to begin with, find one that works, mass produce the hell out of it, and use it. You don't need a dozen different tests for the same damn thing, especially when some of them aren't as accurate as others.

Edited by rob_shadows
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, rob_shadows said:

I don't see the point in having so many different tests to begin with, find one that works, mass produce the hell out of it, and use it. You don't need a dozen different tests for the same damn thing, especially when some of them aren't as accurate as others.

Ideally yes, we have one test that is the most accurate, widely available, and have the quickest response times. Unfortunately, reality keeps that from happening. I believe some of it is because of limited resources for certain reagents needed for the testing kits. So people have to try different alternatives.

8 hours ago, rob_shadows said:

Free market and capitalism.

Companies are trying to produce a product that has value to American society.  Like other things, some are better than others.

Demand is crazy high, supply is low.....thus opens the door for opportunity of lesser quality products. 

• Like 2

Not free:

Health experts worry coronavirus could cause lasting heart complications for athletes

Dean Winslow, an infectious-disease doctor at Stanford University, said research has shown as many as 20 percent of people who recover from covid-19 show cardiac abnormalities.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2020/08/08/athletes-coronavirus-heart-complications/

Citation:

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamacardiology/fullarticle/2768916?guestAccessKey=698ebd4c-5c29-4069-9ef6-8839bcbc07de&utm_source=For_The_Media&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=ftm_links&utm_content=tfl&utm_term=072720

Maybe some good/hilarious news? I sadly have never won at Catan.

https://www.npr.org/2020/08/07/897271885/families-stuck-at-home-turn-to-board-game-catan-sending-sales-skyrocketing

As families shelter in place because of the coronavirus pandemic, sales of Catan have climbed. While the global economy spirals downward, the company says sales skyrocketed by 144% for the first five months of this year.

4 hours ago, squire12 said:

Demand is crazy high, supply is low.....thus opens the door for opportunity of lesser quality products. 

In a non-pandemic world, these tests are rigorously evaluated in the real world and have to meet stringent guidelines for every reagent, component etc and how the tests perform in the hands of non-experts. ( Dr.s office)
The FDA requires it.
But in the rush to get tests out sooner, many of the safeguards and guidelines were waived. What happened with Quidel happens in the real world too, its just that they would go back and fix it before taking into the marketplace. The underlying issue is that its a novel virus and we don't know what works best yet - but we demanded something with instant results. And so here we are. Hopefully they'll be able to fix it soon

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

You expect me to watch a 10 minute video about how two political sides can’t agree on aid during a pandemic when they’re sitting comfortably in their million dollar homes bought through corruption on both sides?

Well I won’t.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Outpost31 said:

You expect me to watch a 10 minute video about how two political sides can’t agree on aid during a pandemic when they’re sitting comfortably in their million dollar homes bought through corruption on both sides?

Well I won’t.  

If it makes you feel better, one side had a bill ready to go back in May. While the other didn’t do anything until the last week of July.

• Like 1