Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Webmaster

17 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Granted, but those places it was considered socially polite to wear masks BEFORE Covid broke out. 

Also, not saying it's right or wrong, but the freedom Americans have versus the freedom South Koreans don't have played its part. 

What about wearing a mask is “anti-freedom”?  Are pants anti-freedom?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Granted, but those places it was considered socially polite to wear masks BEFORE Covid broke out. 

Also, not saying it's right or wrong, but the freedom Americans have versus the freedom South Koreans don't have played its part. 

Completely ignorant. Either you mixed up South and North Korea, or you are talking out of your bunghole. 

FYI; I lived in SK for almost 6 years.

Edited by animaltested
  • Like 7

27 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Not sure what you mean by freedoms since South Korea is also a democratic republic. Americans need a Costco membership to enter Costco but cry freedom infringement when they need to wear a mask to enter said institution. Do you see how silly the freedom argument is?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Xenos said:

Not sure what you mean by freedoms since South Korea is also a democratic republic. Americans need a Costco membership to enter Costco but cry freedom infringement when they need to wear a mask to enter said institution. Do you see how silly the freedom argument is?

No shirt, no shoes, no service has long been an accepted policy.

This is literally no different.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, WizeGuy said:

Some areas are doing better, but many seem to be testing way less. Texas (21.4%) and Florida (17.3%) are still hitting really high on their percent positive, though the infection rate is low, which is confusing to me. Arizona, on the other hand, is hitting a bit lower on their percent positive (12.8%). Apparently, Florida had their highest new hospitalizations this past week @ over 3300. It's going to get rough there over the next month or so.

Hasn't that been said for the past month though?  I get many of these things lag, but I feel like the common line has been, its going to get rough over [insert time frame].  It already is rough.  That is confusing on the higher % of positives but low infection rate.  I guess the question of data integrity will still remain from now until 5 years from now. 

1 hour ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I really don’t understand how it could be worse.

*didnt read the articles like a true schmuck, but still...

I will read it later, but with you on this, I think what is considered a "mask" is pretty broad and pretty stupid what people can wear, but I don't understand how it can be worse.  Hopefully the article gives some relevant info on that front.  

9 minutes ago, acowboys62 said:

Hasn't that been said for the past month though?  I get many of these things lag, but I feel like the common line has been, its going to get rough over [insert time frame].  It already is rough.  That is confusing on the higher % of positives but low infection rate.  I guess the question of data integrity will still remain from now until 5 years from now. 

I just mean the death toll is going to continue to trend up at a fast rate. They just had their highest daily death increase today, and this past week had a lot of hospitalizations. Death data also lags a week or so, so the peak is still a few weeks out I assume. 

I don't know enough about how IFR is calculated to really comment on that. I'd love an in-depth overview of it. 

Edited by WizeGuy

18 minutes ago, Xenos said:

The difference is choice.  I choose to or not to have that Costco membership.  I don't get a choice in the mask (nor should I be given a choice in a pandemic).  That is the fundamental issue (removing the hoax clowns for purposes of this assumption), so I don't think it is a silly argument, just not a smart one given we are in a pandemic with a novel virus. 

3 minutes ago, acowboys62 said:

The difference is choice.  I choose to or not to have that Costco membership.  I don't get a choice in the mask (nor should I be given a choice in a pandemic).  That is the fundamental issue (removing the hoax clowns for purposes of this assumption), so I don't think it is a silly argument, just not a smart one given we are in a pandemic with a novel virus. 

Where can you shop without pants on?

11 minutes ago, acowboys62 said:

Costco was just a specific example. You need both a membership and a mask to go into Costco now. But there are other examples like the pant’s one that @LETSGOBROWNIES brought up.

Just now, animaltested said:

Completely ignorant. Either you mixed up South and North Korea, or you are talking out of your bunghole. 

Just now, Xenos said:

Jesus, you're all very quick to jump on this like flies on ****.  First, thanks for insulting my knowledge of the difference between North and South Korea.  Great way to have a conversation.  I'm perfectly aware of both the freedom and geographical differences of both.  Thanks.  

I did not, contrary to your rapid assault on my innocuous statement, suggest South Korea was wildly lacking in basic freedom and human rights. 

However, South Korea has done things that Americans would not accept. 

They had an app that displays known cases within 100 meters of known cases.  Imagine how well that would go over in America. 

They also have contact tracing.  Something America cannot have because of infringement on privacy rights. 

South Korea also immediately started screening people at airlines.  Compare that to a country that raised hell at the full body scans that scanned for weapons at an airport. 

They also had "No Chinese allowed" on signs in front of restaurants and businesses.  Tell me what would happen if that sign appeared somewhere in America. 

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/mar/20/south-korea-rapid-intrusive-measures-covid-19

I never ****ing said it was an infringement of rights to make people wear a mask.  You're all so Goddamn sensitive in here. 

9 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

What about wearing a mask is “anti-freedom”?  Are pants anti-freedom?

Grow up.  I never hinted at, suggested and I certainly didn't say anything suggesting that requiring people to wear a mask on private property or as a business was anti-freedom. 

9 minutes ago, animaltested said:

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2020/02/coronavirus-brings-anti-chinese-sentiment-south-korea-200221094732254.html

In America you can't discriminate based on religion, race, nationality. 

This entire article didn't, actually, come from my bunghole. 

https://www.latimes.com/world-nation/story/2020-01-31/chinese-tourists-were-a-welcome-source-of-cash-across-asia-now-theyre-a-source-of-panic

Also another article NOT written by my bunghole. 

If you took ten minutes to step outside of your own bunghole, you would see this was not an accusation of South Korea not having basic human rights, but a statement based on the measures South Korea can take to control covid that America cannot. 

8 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Where can you shop without pants on?

I hope nowhere. I have a longer reply I will post later when I am not on my phonee. I would ask back to you, show me a state law or government enforced regulation on no shirt, no shoes, no service.  I believe those policies are enforced by the businesses and not the state/government levels. 

Note that I am all for masks if it gets us out of this crap sooner, just giving a counter to the fact that the whole freedom argument is silly. I think a pandmic should override all of this nonsense and every state should be doing things the same otherwise we are in this never ending circle of lock downs and phases.