Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Webmaster

23 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Larry continuing to come in clutch.  He's a guy to keep an eye out for once his second term ends.  PM me if you are interested further in learning about him.  

Thanks! Yeah I’m sure he’s eyeing the presidency. I do appreciate what he’s doing so far amidst all this needless line drawing about what party you belong to.

Edit: you can PM me. I feel like I have an idea based on your intentionally vague description in order to keep this thread open.

Edited by Xenos

I suppose this is something I'll have to worry about. Any of you science savvy posters want to put my mind at ease?

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6290032/

Abstract:

Understanding immune responses to viral infections is crucial to progress in the quest for effective infection prevention and control. The host immunity involves various mechanisms to combat viral infections. Under certain circumstances, a viral infection or vaccination may result in a subverted immune system, which may lead to an exacerbated illness. Clinical evidence of enhanced illness by preexisting antibodies from vaccination, infection or maternal passive immunity is available for several viruses and is presumptively proposed for other viruses. Multiple mechanisms have been proposed to explain this phenomenon. It has been confirmed that certain infection- and/or vaccine-induced immunity could exacerbate viral infectivity in Fc receptor- or complement bearing cells- mediated mechanisms. Considering that antibody dependent enhancement (ADE) is a major obstacle in vaccine development, there are continues efforts to understand the underlying mechanisms through identification of the epitopes and antibodies responsible for disease enhancement or protection. This review discusses the recent findings on virally induced ADE, and highlights the potential mechanisms leading to this condition.

Since we're probably going to get antibody treatments before vaccines, here is a tracker for those interested:

https://www.raps.org/news-and-articles/news-articles/2020/3/covid-19-therapeutics-tracker

A lot in Phase 3 right now. Glad I just started taking Pepcid Complete when I was having stomach issues a couple weeks after quarantine started. Once I read it could possibly help, I kept taking it. The berry tablets taste good 🤷‍♂️

• Like 3

Data should be coming soon but this is positive too:

https://www.click2houston.com/news/local/2020/08/05/houston-methodist-reports-rapid-recovery-of-covid-19-patients-with-new-drug/

Drug is RLF-100

"The drug appeared to have rapidly cleared pneumonitis findings on an X-ray, improved blood oxygen and a 50% or greater average decrease in laboratory markers associated with COVID-19 inflammation, according to the press release."

They're saying all recoveries were "rapid" but that's subjective. Looking forward to some data on this one.

Edited by BobbyPhil1781
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, WizeGuy said:

Any of you science savvy posters want to put my mind at ease?

We're all going to die...      

(that was the deal we accepted when we were born)

Few things are more complex than our immune system and with so many moving parts and each human being slightly different, there are different outcomes from a previous viral infection. I wouldn't worry about it - because its out of our control. But take comfort in the idea that we have our best and brightest working on it and the fact they know this exacerbation is a possibility -  is a huge leap forward.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, WizeGuy said:

I suppose this is something I'll have to worry about. Any of you science savvy posters want to put my mind at ease?

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6290032/

Abstract:

Understanding immune responses to viral infections is crucial to progress in the quest for effective infection prevention and control. The host immunity involves various mechanisms to combat viral infections. Under certain circumstances, a viral infection or vaccination may result in a subverted immune system, which may lead to an exacerbated illness. Clinical evidence of enhanced illness by preexisting antibodies from vaccination, infection or maternal passive immunity is available for several viruses and is presumptively proposed for other viruses. Multiple mechanisms have been proposed to explain this phenomenon. It has been confirmed that certain infection- and/or vaccine-induced immunity could exacerbate viral infectivity in Fc receptor- or complement bearing cells- mediated mechanisms. Considering that antibody dependent enhancement (ADE) is a major obstacle in vaccine development, there are continues efforts to understand the underlying mechanisms through identification of the epitopes and antibodies responsible for disease enhancement or protection. This review discusses the recent findings on virally induced ADE, and highlights the potential mechanisms leading to this condition.

Until I see confirmed, valid cases of multiple people going to the hospital because of 2 separate COVID infections, I'm going to assume that our immune system will work about as well for COVID as it would for similar viruses.

• Like 2

Just to further the point on why masks are so important:

At my hospital, which was the stronghold in our community to take care of COVID+ patients, we've been doing antibody testing. As of today, we have 3.9% of those being tested for antibodies testing positive. We also tested many of our employees. We only had a 2.9% positive rate for our employees.

What's so compelling about this is- we literally cannot socially distance on our ICUs. It's impossible. Also, our elevators get crammed full everyday (not the brightest idea, but it happens). So, how are we at a LOWER percent positive than the outside community? I mean- hospital workers are considered at high risk for transmitting the virus. Well, here's the difference- we've been masked up since early April. It became mandatory for us to wear masks. Everyone wears one, though some are more lenient with them.

Just note- there are employees who are neglecting this virus (a very small minority). They don't think it's that big of a deal. So they're being a bit more reckless outside their job. Still, we haven't had any outbreaks. Again, we DO NOT socially distance, so the only other variable at play is masks.

Also, my community currently is in phase 4 of reopening. We've had indoor dining at bars and restaurants for nearly 2 months now. Why aren't we seeing outbreaks like the south had when they started indoor dining? Surely it's not herd immunity...only 3.9% is hitting positive on the antibody test. Could more people be hanging out outside? Sure, but still- we're the polar opposite of what is going on down south. The rules put in place also play a role, but there has to be another factor at play here...hm...Ah- it's probably the fact that 95% of my community wears masks when they go out in public, and they wear them correctly.

Mask up, people. The results are very promising.

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, WizeGuy said:

Just to further the point on why masks are so important:

At my hospital, which was the stronghold in our community to take care of COVID+ patients, we've been doing antibody testing. As of today, we have 3.9% of those being tested for antibodies testing positive. We also tested many of our employees. We only had a 2.9% positive rate for our employees.

What's so compelling about this is- we literally cannot socially distance on our ICUs. It's impossible. Also, our elevators get crammed full everyday (not the brightest idea, but it happens). So, how are we at a LOWER percent positive than the outside community? I mean- hospital workers are considered at high risk for transmitting the virus. Well, here's the difference- we've been masked up since early April. It became mandatory for us to wear masks. Everyone wears one, though some are more lenient with them.

Just note- there are employees who are neglecting this virus (a very small minority). They don't think it's that big of a deal. So they're being a bit more reckless outside their job. Still, we haven't had any outbreaks. Again, we DO NOT socially distance, so the only other variable at play is masks.

Also, my community currently is in phase 4 of reopening. We've had indoor dining at bars and restaurants for nearly 2 months now. Why aren't we seeing outbreaks like the south had when they started indoor dining? Surely it's not herd immunity...only 3.9% is hitting positive on the antibody test. Could more people be hanging out outside? Sure, but still- we're the polar opposite of what is going on down south. The rules put in place also play a role, but there has to be another factor at play here...hm...Ah- it's probably the fact that 95% of my community wears masks when they go out in public, and they wear them correctly.

Mask up, people. The results are very promising.

I've yet to do my own extensive reading on the topic of mask effectiveness, but how is it both sides think they're right? How can the anti-maskers be so convinced that studies prove masks aren't effective, and pro-maskers the same? Had a conversation with a friend who is usually level-headed - utterly convinced that science shows masks are pointless. The two have to be mutually exclusive...there is no middle ground. Either they mitigate spread, or they don't.

(i'm a masker for the record)

1 minute ago, Hunter2_1 said:

I've yet to do my own extensive reading on the topic of mask effectiveness, but how is it both sides think they're right? How can the anti-maskers be so convinced that studies prove masks aren't effective, and pro-maskers the same? Had a conversation with a friend who is usually level-headed - utterly convinced that science shows masks are pointless. The two have to be mutually exclusive...there is no middle ground. Either they mitigate spread, or they don't.

(i'm a masker for the record)

Because one side doesn't actually look at the studies, doesn't understand them and refuses to listen to people who do, and/or have a "my way or the highway" type attitude on the situation. It's pretty clear that masks help unless you're only seeing what you want to. 

• Like 4