Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Webmaster

1 minute ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Not to be too big of a pessimist, but companies are doing this just as much (read: completely) for the potential profits as opposed to our collective wellbeing.

And that's fine, I guess. I'm not really one to ***** about people making a buck. The FDA won't push it through unless there's reason to believe it works, right? It wouldn't have gotten this far if it didn't. Correct me if I'm wrong.

3 minutes ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

And that's fine, I guess. I'm not really one to ***** about people making a buck. The FDA won't push it through unless there's reason to believe it works, right? It wouldn't have gotten this far if it didn't. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I honestly have no clue, we’ve never been through something like this before.

35 minutes ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

Price gauging meds is still very much in practice 

53 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

The frustration isn’t necessarily with people in here, even the people with the more conservative views seem fairly reasonable (wear masks, take things seriously, etc), but rather with other people, be it public figures, people in our communities, etc.

Yeah I get it.  I wasn’t even complaining about it.  I just find it funny how this has become like the venting about the world thread.

This thread should be called the COVID Support Group.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

Price gauging meds is still very much in practice 

Never denied it's not but I'm hoping that if something is relatively scalable that the companies won't be inclined to do that and would rather do their part to rid the world of the pandemic. Maybe I'm giving them too much credit but we'll see.

The flu shot is mandatory at work now unless you have an exemption. I wonder if more people will take the flu shot this year. I personally think it’s important to not get the flu and Covid at the same time.

8 minutes ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

Never denied it's not but I'm hoping that if something is relatively scalable that the companies won't be inclined to do that and would rather do their part to rid the world of the pandemic. Maybe I'm giving them too much credit but we'll see.

you most assuredly are given the history. I dont know the specifics, but I just watched a clip in which a CEO of a pharma company was testifying and the senator laid out how the drug in question's price was raised almost the exact amount for the CEO to hit his bonus for profits. There was no other credible reason, no change of any sort in the drug or its distribution or use. 

2 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

you most assuredly are given the history. I dont know the specifics, but I just watched a clip in which a CEO of a pharma company was testifying and the senator laid out how the drug in question's price was raised almost the exact amount for the CEO to hit his bonus for profits. There was no other credible reason, no change of any sort in the drug or its distribution or use. 

Traditional history agrees, yes. We are in a pandemic though so I'm hoping that might shift priorities a little bit. Not saying it will or won't, just hoping that maybe this time, it doesn't.

8 minutes ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

Traditional history agrees, yes. We are in a pandemic though so I'm hoping that might shift priorities a little bit. Not saying it will or won't, just hoping that maybe this time, it doesn't.

The public spotlight is on these companies now.  Maybe that'll help but who knows

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

Having any hope for pharmaceutical companies to be anything less than self serving is giving them too much credit.

Use goodrx.com and look up the price of things like insulin and epinephrine, which are both absolutely necessary for some people.  

They literally don’t care.  They’re going to charge the max that insurers and Medicare will pay.

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Having any hope for pharmaceutical companies to be anything less than self serving is giving them too much credit.

Use goodrx.com and look up the price of things like insulin and epinephrine, which are both absolutely necessary for some people.  

They literally don’t care.  They’re going to charge the max that insurers and Medicare will pay.

Let me hold out hope the pandemic will make them different, dammit!! lol.

It's good that things like GoodRx and other competitors exist these days. My stepbrother is a Dr and says he tells all his patients to use it, regardless.

1 hour ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I mean, when you structure corporate law the way it is, it'd be insanity not to do what they do.  Doing anything other than maximizing profits for the shareholders (within legal and ethical limits, of course), is arguably a breach of fiduciary duty.  Usually that's grounds right there to can whoever is in charge.

If a big pharma CEO did decide to move the company toward cheaper prices, despite the market being willing to pay their exorbitant prices, they'd get forced out almost immediately, and replaced by someone who would maximize profits in almost every setting.

That's why massive, sweeping changes to the law and a whole lot more federally funded R&D are literally the only solution to that problem.

• Like 2