Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Webmaster

8 hours ago, WizeGuy said:

In the article posted above, Moncef Slaoui believes the vaccines may be between 80%-90% efficacy.

Overall he seems like a sharp guy and pointed in the right direction. If I were to offer a few grains of salt:

He said he's "hopeful" and that is his "expectation" - but reality is often different than hopeful expectations in the drug/vaccine world
He's also doing the interview with MarketWatch, which is different than reviewing data with other immunologists and clinicians.
He's also one of the leaders of Operation Warp Speed and has a vested interest in delivering laudable results and is pushing hard for the Emergency Use Authorizations ( EUAs) from the Warp Speed members

Meanwhile, Pfizer / BioNTech chose to leave Operation Warp Speed to move forward on their own without government "help"
I don't know why they chose that path, but so far there have been (2) Emergency Use Authorizations issued for COVID
hydroxy and convalescent plasma. Both turned out to be failures. ( note: those are treatments, not preventative vaccines)

At least with vaccines, we're counting on human biology to do the heavy lifting.
And with millions of years of evolution behind it, our immune systems are pretty freaking awesome.

If you're reading this; it means YOUR immune system is currently undefeated. Congrats.

• Like 4

Anyone seen this August article on masks and the hierarchy of protection? Essentially avoid neck gaithers at all cost since they can disperse the viral aerosols even more than going maskless. Everything else is better than going maskless. Though the more layers the better.

https://www.usatoday.com/in-depth/news/2020/08/16/face-masks-what-makes-some-better-than-others-against-covid-19/5535737002/

1 hour ago, Xenos said:

Anyone seen this August article on masks and the hierarchy of protection? Essentially avoid neck gaithers at all cost since they can disperse the viral aerosols even more than going maskless. Everything else is better than going maskless. Though the more layers the better.

https://www.usatoday.com/in-depth/news/2020/08/16/face-masks-what-makes-some-better-than-others-against-covid-19/5535737002/

Thanks for the link. I had been planning on getting a gaiter for a trip to Illinois in the winter that I’m required to make for work, hoping it would double for warmth and mask protection. Guess that’s out the window then. Will definitely be sticking with my cotton mask with the filter insert.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, pwny said:

Thanks for the link. I had been planning on getting a gaiter for a trip to Illinois in the winter that I’m required to make for work, hoping it would double for warmth and mask protection. Guess that’s out the window then. Will definitely be sticking with my cotton mask with the filter insert.

There are gaiters you can get that have filter inserts. $25 from what I've seen. I just got a couple fleece ones but they're mainly for walking my dog in the damn cold. 

25 minutes ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

There are gaiters you can get that have filter inserts. $25 from what I've seen. I just got a couple fleece ones but they're mainly for walking my dog in the damn cold. 

Thanks. I’ll look into them. 

It looks like from reading the article, the issue is that in general they’re made for synthetic materials designed for wicking moisture while exercising, so basically the exact opposite of what you want from a mask needed to keep droplets from moving about from either side to the other. I didn’t ever think of that, but it makes complete sense; a droplet that lands on your cheek isn’t likely to enter your respiratory system, but one that lands on fabric that is then able to be sucked through while breathing might.

And with that in mind, I’d guess that a gaiter made from cotton with inserts like you’re describing would likely work about as well as the other options, as long as the material composition doesn’t allow for easy transfer of droplets.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, pwny said:

Thanks. I’ll look into them. 

It looks like from reading the article, the issue is that in general they’re made for synthetic materials designed for wicking moisture while exercising, so basically the exact opposite of what you want from a mask needed to keep droplets from moving about from either side to the other. I didn’t ever think of that, but it makes complete sense; a droplet that lands on your cheek isn’t likely to enter your respiratory system, but one that lands on fabric that is then able to be sucked through while breathing might.

And with that in mind, I’d guess that a gaiter made from cotton with inserts like you’re describing would likely work about as well as the other options, as long as the material composition doesn’t allow for easy transfer of droplets.

Ah I wasn't looking at it from that perspective but the other of you spreading it. Yeah, the filter won't help much in this regard unless it's some absorbable fabric. 

33 minutes ago, vikesfan89 said:

Minnesota has a mask mandate in public spaces but the vikings players don't have to wear masks. 

Because they're at work. Its not a "public space". They abide by the NFL/Vikings rules, just like you abide by your employers rules when you enter the building.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, MookieMonstah said:

Because they're at work. Its not a "public space". They abide by the NFL/Vikings rules, just like you abide by your employers rules when you enter the building.

Fun the Minnesota department of health:

As of July 25, 2020, per the Governor's Executive Order 20-81, people in Minnesota are required to wear a face covering in all indoor businesses and public indoor spaces, unless alone.

Wouldn't that be considered an indoor business?