Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Webmaster

The Baltimore Ravens on Saturday said they were informed by the NFL that "at least four unique strains" of COVID-19 were found inside their facility during the team's outbreak.

"Three of the four were stopped and not spread within our organization," Ravens president **** Cass said in a statement. "Unfortunately, the fourth was a highly-contagious strain and spread throughout our organization."

Source

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Deadpulse said:

So definitely no doses outside of medical personnel and patients until the new year at least in Ohio

Same here in NJ. Nobody is disagreeing with who is getting the first doses, but who gets that 2nd wave of vaccines is going to be nasty. Of course there are the rumors that wall street traders are first in line for that batch, which would be insane. My vote is for grocery store workers and other healthcare related professions that weren't part of the first rollout.

I heard Fauci say something along the lines of a lot of people are looking at first dose in April, 2nd in May, meaning a masked, but open and active summer. Anyone else hear that?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

Same here in NJ. Nobody is disagreeing with who is getting the first doses, but who gets that 2nd wave of vaccines is going to be nasty. Of course there are the rumors that wall street traders are first in line for that batch, which would be insane. My vote is for grocery store workers and other healthcare related professions that weren't part of the first rollout.

Grocery store employees should absolutely have next crack at it. They see hundreds and thousands of people a day but we know those with connections will be next. It's always about who you know and that will never, ever change. Money also helps..... a lot. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

Grocery store employees should absolutely have next crack at it. They see hundreds and thousands of people a day but we know those with connections will be next. It's always about who you know and that will never, ever change. Money also helps..... a lot. 

It'll be here just in time for mlb players to get it

14 minutes ago, vikesfan89 said:

It'll be here just in time for mlb players to get it

The selfish part of me would be ok with those that entertain getting it early (sports, actors, people behind the scenes etc) but I just don't think that's proper bc grocery stores are far more essential. 

Ultimately I'm just really happy we're able to discuss this right now. Pretty incredible we're not even a year into it and we're talking about it. 

37 minutes ago, August4th said:

just watched a commercial for a cruise ship company. the song they were playing said "want to get free?" and mentioned how bad 2020 has been. they seem really eager to get people back on these ships

I don't know if I'd call being stuck on a ship free

38 minutes ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

The selfish part of me would be ok with those that entertain getting it early (sports, actors, people behind the scenes etc) but I just don't think that's proper bc grocery stores are far more essential. 

Ultimately I'm just really happy we're able to discuss this right now. Pretty incredible we're not even a year into it and we're talking about it. 

It'll be interesting to see what happens.  Athletes have to be some of the lower risk people i would think.  Although some baseball players aren't in great shape. 

Maybe the trainers should get it before the players

Biden says that he will take it publicly.  What is the timeline for that? Would he be one of the first to get it?

Also will he hide out for a few days afterwards? Not saying it's likely but I imagine him having adverse reactions to the vaccine publically would be about the worst thing that could happen for public trust in it

1 hour ago, vikesfan89 said:

Biden says that he will take it publicly.  What is the timeline for that? Would he be one of the first to get it?

Also will he hide out for a few days afterwards? Not saying it's likely but I imagine him having adverse reactions to the vaccine publically would be about the worst thing that could happen for public trust in it

I would think POTUS elect would be a high priority.  Once FDA approved emergency use, would be a few days later.

He is not out doing speaking gigs regularly as is, so short appearances and press releases would be easy enough if he has any related reactions.   Most of those are 12-24 hour type things from my understanding...fever, fatigue as your body allocates resources to produce the antibodies 

• Like 2

I've seen this a few places:

At a press briefing on vaccine distribution also on Wednesday, Moncef Slaoui, the chief adviser to Operation Warp Speed, said that 100 million American could be vaccinated by the end of February.

What I can't find is what exactly this means. Will 100 million have received the full treatment (two doses from Pfizer, not sure on others) or 100 million will have had the first dose but not full treatment? I'm leaning towards a mix of the two but I can't find any clarification.

Quote source

Can the guys who are in the know on the vaccines explain the MRNA portion of this?  A friend of mine is a nurse, and has done some good research throughout this process and is saying if it's deemed mandatory at her hospital, she's prepared to quit.  Not anti-vax at all, and she will get it in time, but she is essentially saying that this is all so very quick and she's not ready to risk it.  

5 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Can the guys who are in the know on the vaccines explain the MRNA portion of this?  A friend of mine is a nurse, and has done some good research throughout this process and is saying if it's deemed mandatory at her hospital, she's prepared to quit.  Not anti-vax at all, and she will get it in time, but she is essentially saying that this is all so very quick and she's not ready to risk it.  

I know a decent amount about flying and aviation operations. But I don't know how to fix a hydraulic leak. Sure, I have an idea but I'm not qualified to do that. I trust the expert mechanics.

Your nurse friend may well be a damn good nurse. But she's no virologist. Trust the experts in the field.

Hope this helps:

...The flu shot is what is called an inactivated vaccine. Basically, it's pretty simple. You take a bunch of chicken eggs that have been fertilized, you inject them with your virus stock. You use those chicken eggs to grow up a bunch of virus because flu grows exceptionally well in chicken eggs. Then you inactivate that virus. You render it non-infectious usually by some chemical treatment. Then you give that vaccine to people. Your immune system will respond to what are called the antigen, they're proteins on the outside of the virus particle. That's how you develop immunity with that type of vaccine. An mRNA vaccine takes the mRNA or messenger RNA which is the instructions basically to yourselves, protein-making machinery to make the antigen. Rather than giving you an inactivated virus particle from SARS-coronavirus-2, they give you an mRNA that expresses the spike protein on the surface of SARS-coronavirus-2. So your immune system will still recognize that protein as being foreign and will respond to it. It circumvents the need to actually grow up a lot of virus. It makes yourselves basically do the work of expressing that antigen for your immune system to recognize for you. Both the Pfizer vaccine and the Moderna vaccine are mRNA vaccines that work this way. You're correct. They have never been approved for human use. They have had some clinical trials in Phase 1 for other viral infections. There is some precedent for testing them in people. But they have never been used on a wide scale, certainly not in circumstances like this.

The source website isn't the best. But the interviewee, Angela Rasmussen is legit. Also:

• Like 2

11 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

The worst thing possible for the world is to make this vaccine mandatory.

Giving people a reason to rebel is going to cause people to rebel.

Making a vaccine mandatory is as dumb as being anti-vaccine.

ESPECIALLY this early.  If you’re going to make it mandatory, wait a year after people have actually taken it.  Once people see it doesn’t cause third nipples and fourth penises they will be more accepting of it being mandatory.

• Like 4