Time travel: Stopping your team

Glen

1 hour ago, Heinz D. said:

Not firing Ditka after the Flutie fiasco in the '85 playoffs?

That was 1986 (they won in 85), and that was a little early to fire Ditka. If the Bears fired Ditka before Jan. 93, a good time would have been after the 89 season, when the Bears lost Dan Hampton and went 6-10. A re-boot wouldn't have been bad at that point because some of the guys from SB XX (McMahon, Payton, Gault, Marshall) were gone.

Speaking of a team firing a coach, I think that Denver should have fired Dan Reeves after their 5-11 1990 SB hangover season (the year after they lost to the 49ers). John and Dan didn't get along that well, and Dan didn't understand modern offensive football.

Now, I know that they did go 12-4 and to the AFC Title Game in 91, but that was because of Elway, Wade Phillips' defense, and a last-place schedule (they only played five games against teams that finished above .500, and they were 2-3, with both wins against KC).

If they would have fired Reeves, and if Shanahan takes over four years earlier, they may have won a SB by 92. I think that Shanny would have drafted more offensive help for Elway (that may have included re-signing Pro Bowl RB Bobby Humphrey and drafting WR Herman Moore in the 91 draft instead of Croel), and he probably would have traded for Charles Haley in the summer of 92 (I heard that the Broncos could have had him for a seventh-rounder, but Reeves didn't want him). Haley and Simon Fletcher would have scared QB's to death.

Edited by 7DnBrnc53

On 4/8/2020 at 11:05 PM, Rod Johnson said:

Johnny Manziel, and as a franchise that's had numerous disastrous picks, it's not even close.

A key talking point during Kyle Shanahan's 22 slide presentation on why he should be released from his contract with the Browns, no doubt.

Recent 

Darron Lee over Jaylon Smith/Myles Jack

Quinnen Williams over Josh Allen

Calvin Pryor over Dee Ford, Demarcus Lawrence

Stephen Hill over Russell Wilson(Bradway was standing on the table begging for him)

Dee Milliner over DeAndre Hopkins

Quinton Coples over Melvin Ingram(entire board was screaming for him), David DeCastro, Chandler Jones, Whitney Mercilus

Vernon Gholston over anyone else Talib opposite Revis though? Fire.

05 We traded back and pick Nugent instead of staying put and taking Roddy White, Logan Mankins

That's just first round picks.

On 4/4/2020 at 6:05 PM, Yin-Yang said:

If they passed on Brandon Meriweather and took the next DB, it could’ve been Eric Weddle...

That is not even close as the worst selection in Pats history.

Let me make this easy. Tony Eason. The Pats took him over Dan Freaking Marino.  Pats could of had Marino than Brady!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Redskins have so many throughout their history, especially during the Casserly years after Gibbs left.  There were some horrendous first round decisions, as well as players who just didn't reach their levels of hype.  

RGIII is probably a popular one, but man, he was great in his rookie year until the knee injury.  I'd take the time travel back to that time, and make him ride the bench for next year.  They had no business having him playing hurt on that horrible field.  

Or, I'd go back and tell Joe Gibbs that draft picks actually have value. 

• Like 1

On 4/4/2020 at 3:58 PM, beekay414 said:

Tony Mandarich is the obvious answer but, for the drafts I followed, it's a toss up between Jamal Reynolds, Ahmad Carroll or Justin Harrell. 

Carroll was the most frustrating, because I always felt like he'd have solid position in coverage, here comes the pass, ohai I better grab a fistful of this guy's jersey. Harrell was always injured, and Reynolds just sucked. 

Mandarich went on to be a useful player later, but as far as the opportunity cost of whiffing in that top 5, it's staggering. 

• Like 1