Steelers GM Pushing for 10 Rd Draft

soflbillsfan

11 hours ago, Kiwibrown said:

What is the difference between a 7th round contract and udfa contract? 

Is it better fornthe players? 

The drafted player seems to have a much better signing bonus and a higher salary to begin with.  Here are two rookies for the Packers (team I am most familiar with, so I knew we had an apples to apples comparison), both ILBs  Ty Summers (7th) and Curtis Bolton (UDFA):

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/green-bay-packers/ty-summers-29274/

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/green-bay-packers/curtis-bolton-29711/

Summers has about 10x times the signing bonus and a 4 year contract, for some more money.  Bolton will be a free agent sooner.  I don't know about the ERFA and tags that the teams have. 

In 2012, the Packers had drafted Casey Hayward in the third round and signed his Vanderbilt teammate Sean Richardson the same year as a UDFA.  Richardson signed a two year contract, and was a free agent before Hayward.  He ended up making ~2.5 million to Hayward's ~1 million in 2015.  So a UDFA has the opportunity to jump ahead and cash in earlier.  Unfortunately for Richardson, he broke his neck and had to retire, or we could have possibly seen this play out further.  I doubt that he would still be making more than Hayward.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/green-bay-packers/sean-richardson-10489/cash-earnings/

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/los-angeles-chargers/casey-hayward-9872/cash-earnings/

• Like 5

21 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

Based on everything going on, I don't think it's an unreasonable idea. Maybe only another round or two max though. 

Corona is being used as an excuse for this. They dont bring in UDFA post draft for physicals to sign them so what's the point or reasoning? They start calling them in rds 6/7  to engage possibilities IF those players are not drafted.

Now is the UDFA process of adding players to the PS going to be more difficult given the "virtual BS" draft atmosphere,  sure. However those who have a reliable , proven system in place will be fine. Those that suck, will still suck.

Edited by Nabbs4u

5 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

Wouldn't this need to be collectively bargained?  It might be a good idea, and I would 100% watch it.  But what would be the NFLPA's incentive to sign off on this?

new draft rule proposals come from the clubs and are reviewed and voted on by the competition committee per the reports I read
NFLPA gets these players as dues-paying members whether they are drafted or not, so not sure if they have a say in it

5 hours ago, skywlker32 said:

@BayRaider I don't understand this logic about the Steelers being stingy at all. If you look at cap space, I would imagine there aren't many teams as close to the cap as the Steelers on a consistent basis. THAT is why they don't bring in many FA. They can't because they already paid their own.

Even with their homegrown talent, they are extremely stingy with guaranteed money. Almost nothing after Year 1. This is the point I was making. This is why Bell/Brown wanted to leave, and I don’t expect JuJu to get much guaranteed money past Year 1.

Steelers are confirmed the only team to do this for decades now. It’s how they operate. 

I’m not even throwing the Steelers under the bus, or being critical, I’m just stating a fact. 

Does most of the money get paid out anyway? Sure. But it’s not guaranteed. That’s not how the Steelers operate. Only team in the NFL. 

Edited by BayRaider

On 4/7/2020 at 2:22 PM, Yin-Yang said:

Don’t really see why this would be necessary. 

Seems like a GM who doesn’t have many draft picks and has a hard time bringing in UDFAs wants more bites at the apple...

10 rounds is too many, but they should do 8 this year. Roster sizes did expand this season. Expanding the draft by one round makes sense this year only. 

Its an unusual situation to be sure

Colbert is right for the wrong reasons, but that doesnt make him wrong

9 hours ago, Nabbs4u said:

Corona is being used as an excuse for this. They dont bring in UDFA post draft for physicals to sign them so what's the point or reasoning? They start calling them in rds 6/7  to engage possibilities IF those players are not drafted.

Now is the UDFA process of adding players to the PS going to be more difficult given the "virtual BS" draft atmosphere,  sure. However those who have a reliable , proven system in place will be fine. Those that suck, will still suck.

They do fly those players in a few days after the draft to have them physically sign a piece of paper and get a physical. It takes a couple of days for the signings to be official for that reason. Until the ink is dry, there is no deal.

There have been players who pull a Deandre Jordan and decide to sign with another teams after they have already announced deals. Blount did it to the 49ers. 

There are probably going to be semi-binding but not actually legally binding but more than a handshake agreement that references future contracts legal roundabout way of signing these players electronically (<-- my imitation of legal mumbo jumbo lol). So from that standpoint, it wont be that much different. 

1 hour ago, N4L said:

They do fly those players in a few days after the draft to have them physically sign a piece of paper and get a physical. It takes a couple of days for the signings to be official for that reason. Until the ink is dry, there is no deal.

There have been players who pull a Deandre Jordan and decide to sign with another teams after they have already announced deals. Blount did it to the 49ers. 

There are probably going to be semi-binding but not actually legally binding but more than a handshake agreement that references future contracts legal roundabout way of signing these players electronically (<-- my imitation of legal mumbo jumbo lol). So from that standpoint, it wont be that much different. 

Ok, so because that might be an issue lets fix some of that by creating 3 more Rds of the draft to what, lock those 3 players into being on that specific team? Won't they still have to fill a 10 man PS after that as well?

It solves nothing IMO.