Panthers RB Christian McCaffrey signed 4 year extension

ACO

Adrian Peterson (24-27): 5748 rushing yards, 54 TDs, 5.0 YPC, 97 YPG, 1133 receiving yards

LeSean McCoy (24-27): 4661 rushing yards, 19 TDs, 4.5 YPC, 83 YPG, 1359 receiving yards

Frank Gore (24-27): 4111 rushing yards, 24 TDs, 4.4 YPC, 76 YPG, 1667 receiving yards

Marshawn Lynch (24-27): 4788 rushing yards, 41 TDs, 4.3 YPC, 76 YPG, 869 receiving yards

Jamaal Charles (24-27): 4346 rushing yards, 22 TDs, 5.5 YPC, 88.7 YPG, 1406 receiving yards

Matt Forte (24-27): 4089 rushing yards, 18 TDs, 4.3 YPC, 69.3 YPG, 1848 receiving yards

MJD (24-27): 4735 rushing yards, 29 TDs, 4.6 YPC, 91.1 YPG, 1151 receiving yards

Arian Foster (24-27): 4806 rushing yards, 42 TDs, 4.5 YPC, 90.7 YPG, 1621 receiving yards (I know he benefited from the ZBS but I forgot how good Foster was)

Le'Veon Bell (24 and 25, missed his season at 26): 2559 rushing yards, 16 TDs, 4.4 YPC, 94.8 YPG, 1271 receiving yards

Even adding his stats from 27 years old, they are still good overall.  And anyone who saw him with the Jets last year knows it wasn't all on him.

Ezekiel Elliott in his first year after extension at 24 years old: 1357 rushing yards, 12 TDs, 4.5 YPC, 420 receiving yards

Just thought that if we are going to name all the RBs who didn't do so well after an extension, we should also talk about some of the best RBs in the 2010s who didn't fall off one bit at 24 years old.  And a lot of them had more of an injury history going into 24 than CMC has.  And that's just from the 2010s.  I could go in the 2000s and 1990s and show plenty of RBs who didn't slow down at 24-27.

And the most receiving yards in that bunch is 1848 by Forte.  I'll bet someone right now $1000 that McCaffrey has more than 1848 receiving yards in a 4 year stretch.

Now when McCaffrey hits 27, I think it'll be an interesting question for what the Panthers should do.  But right now, unless you think the Panthers should screw him and withhold his money because they can hide behind crap like the 5th year option and franchise tag, I honestly don't see what's so bad about this deal.  There is NO reason to think McCaffrey will fall off like Gurley or Johnson did unless he gets hurt, and there is nobody in the NFL immune to getting hurt.  Cardinals were always fools to pay Johnson when he missed the entire year prior.

McCaffrey had one of the greatest seasons at his position of all-time.  To get an extension done at 23 years old and that will be finished by the time he's 27, it is a great deal for the Panthers.  16m isn't much, especially when the cap will rise.  Especially when he's shown you that even if his running diminishes, he can put up 800 receiving yards for you.

Edited by iknowcool
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, soflbillsfan said:

Did we not see Gurley's debacle? I get it CMC is special but he can easily get that wear and tear the next 2 years to where he wouldnt be seeking 16 mil a year. Your hoping now that he stays healthy and continues to produce 3-4 years from now rather then letting him play the season put the 5th year tag on him and try to extend him then, or you can then turn around and franchise tag him and still get him for the next 3 years. this move doesnt seem like a must do right now. Rb is just a risky position to pay big time and at a time they are completely rebuilding the organization just is weird to me. 

Gurley is arthritic. 

but why make the extension now? You do realize that he has year 4 and 5 remaining on his rookie deal. Just dont get the timing of this right now.

Spread out the cap charge

64 million of new money plus his current contract spread out over 6 years - Cap charge will be something like 13 million now probably

but why make the extension now? You do realize that he has year 4 and 5 remaining on his rookie deal. Just dont get the timing of this right now.

It's a Tone Setter by the new regime. Now all the new guys coming in will realize: you ball out like McCaffrey, we'll take care of you. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, FinSting said:

It's a Tone Setter by the new regime. Now all the new guys coming in will realize: you ball out like McCaffrey, we'll take care of you. 

Exactly. You can’t get away with being Scrooge McDuck like Belichick can without all those Championship gold coins to swim in. For mere mortals, you have to show good faith. 

I get the not paying RB's thought. I am one of them usually, but CMC is the exception. Not because of his running skills, but his receiving skills. There is no RB that is as dangerous in the receiving game as he is so even if the running deteriorates he maintains substantial value. The reality is CMC is unique in such a way that considering him just a RB probably isn't fair to him. He's the strange amalgamation of RB/H-Back/WR

1 hour ago, iknowcool said:

No he doesn't.  He literally just had one of the best RB seasons of all-time.  Why would he need to increase production to make it worth it?  That's ridiculous.

One of the best seasons ever and they won 5 games. Nice.

Increase production in the sense of the team winning more. I understand last year he did everything and more for them and the coaching/QB play is to mostly blame. But that is just further proof that a generational RB doesn’t carry a team to enough wins. Because of that, why pay them big money like this while on a rookie deal? Especially on a rebuilding team.

*that last part is definitely just devils advocate. No one is surprised he got paid. By why so much, right now?*

1 hour ago, lavar703 said:

He should be able to maintain. He played great last year with Kyle Allen at QB. I mean, teams knew he'd be getting the ball and they still couldn't stop it. I'm very apprehensive when it comes to paying RBs but considering all the things you can do with McCaffrey it's just a different ballgame. 

Oh he carried that team. And it shows. But now with a contract like will he have to continue doing just that as not much help could be on the way? 

1 minute ago, Trentwannabe said:

Oh he carried that team. And it shows. But now with a contract like will he have to continue doing just that as not much help could be on the way? 

16 a year is going to keep them from adding help?  Since when?  We have 69+ in cap room (give or take after this deal) in 2021. 

https://overthecap.com/calculator/carolina-panthers/