Panthers RB Christian McCaffrey signed 4 year extension

ACO

2 minutes ago, DaveDX said:

16 a year is going to keep them from adding help?  Since when?  We have 69+ in cap room (give or take after this deal) in 2021. 

https://overthecap.com/calculator/carolina-panthers/

I didn’t say it would, I asked if it could. Their cap space is good, but the roster needs a lot of help and that money could disappear quickly. 

5 minutes ago, GSUeagles14 said:

yea, but hes no where as close to good as cmc. you guys have a shot to resign him ata reasonable #.

They wouldn't budge on the Mark Ingram contract. No way in hell are they going to pay Alvin 16m per year.

Marshon, Ramczyk and Kamara are all about to get paid. Out of those three Kamara is the most expendable. I love him as a player, but the writing is on the wall.

3 hours ago, SaveOurSonics said:

Dudes only 23 years old, so they're locking him up through his unquestioned prime. As mentioned, this is the type of RB you should feel comfortable paying for. They should look to compliment him with a bruiser, however, to really maximize those years. 

Wow I really had to do a double take on his age. Crazy how young he still is. Good deal

Edited by Emerica

15 minutes ago, Kampfgeist said:

Marty Hurney just handed non pass rushing LB Shaq Thompson a 4 yr 54.2 million deal with $28 guaranteed this off-season.   That’s the contract you question in roster building - not paying for an All-Pro playmaker 

Makes me think of MN and Anthony Barr. Dalvin Cook has already said he thinks he’s one of the best, I hope MN doesn’t even think about keeping Cook if that’s his expectations.

4 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

There's ample historical evidence as to why you don't pay RB's this much money, especially recently given that you can find a RB just about anywhere you look. That being said, Panthers weren't just gonna not do this given that they are completely rebuilding.

I feel like, if they really are completely rebuilding, that's even more reason to not given a RB $16million/year.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TitanLegend said:

Sure, there are RBs who continue playing well after a 2nd deal.

That has nothing to do with why it's stupid to pay them though. It's stupid to pay them because the ease at which RB production can be replaced(though McCaffery's a bit harder due to his receiving ability). There's been plenty of studies on that over the past few years. Paying a noteworthy % of your cap to an RB just doesn't make sense.

Says the fan who apparently can easily replace Derrick Henry's production? 

While things didn't work out as LeVeon expected ,what he did is exactly what Henry "should of done" and what Zeke did do. Holdout! The Titans go absolutely No Where in 2021 without Derrick Henry, no where.  

This absurd trend that has been allowed to unfold for decades of literary running RB into the ground and disposing of them like yesterday's trash is a joke. It's the only position in Football with a short life shelf.  Why Rookie RB ,shouldn't be held to the same BS 5 years standards of other 1st rd picks.

If you find a special one, and its clear after 2 season he is, they should have to pay IMO. Not be allowed to force feed them 400+ touches for 5 seasons, making a 1/4 of what WR make,  then told sorry we can only pay you $6-8M just ignore the WR with 300 less touches getting his $20M.

Giving CMC his extension is no different IMO then what the Eagles did early on with Lesean McCoy. Recognize and extend said talent before the price gets to high. People these days are just way to concerned about the APY number when the overall cap and positional payscale has changed for every other position the past decade.

As for this narrative that CMC "deserves" it because of his Recieving abilities but DJ, LeVeon and Gurely didn't somehow is a joke. Injury derailed those players and contracts,  not thier overall skillset.  I'd still take and pay all 3 over CMC (IF Healthy) during that age and pre injury.

Props for the Panthers though for actually taking care of and compensating the best player on their team hands down.

Edited by Nabbs4u
  • Like 1