Pick #19 is in: CB Damon Arnette, Ohio State

RaidersAreOne

10 minutes ago, dante9876 said:

Ain't no way we are starting him inside unless he cant cut it on the outside. But this year he will have the opportunity to start outside for sure. 

That’s what he said: start him outside and if it’s not gonna work he can always be a top sCB.

I agree with BR.  Hopefully he can stay outside but worst case scenario we have an top sCB.  Also we can likely use him against slot WRs on a situational basis early in if we want... it’s nice to know if we’re playing man and WR goes in motion to the slot then it’s a good matchup for him still.

• Like 2

Looked into Arnette early in the process and liked what I saw. I think he has the skill set to be successful. I didn’t think hed be a fit because of character concerns. Is it a reach? Who knows. But if he can come in an make an impact, I won’t be surprised. 

1 hour ago, BayRaider said:

4.64 you probably got Dantzler’s time by mistake. 

4.64, I don’t care how good your coverage is, you are a Zone Corner at the next level. Great Safety tandem or not. 

4.56 you can still be a solid corner in the NFL, and with a great safety tandem, you can still be top-tier corner. 

No I checked it 4x,, it definitely was 4.64. They changed the hand time too.

arnette was CB7 and Dantzler was cb12, so I didn’t click the wrong one.

i bet they just fixed it when he was drafted and they add the “selected round 1 number 19 by Las Vegas raiders” under his name.

28 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Seeing some of those highlights and seeing the likes of Hooker, McMillan, etc reminded me that he'll be 24 this year haha.

He’s 23 right now, there’s need to round up.       There are plenty of 23 year old seniors.  I don’t see what the big deal is, people acted like he was a 6th year senior or something.  
He won a state title at one of the best HS programs in the country St. Thomas Aquinas in 2014.  He was a 5th year senior.  It just so happens his birthday is 2-3 days after the season starts, Thus he’s technically “24 to start the season”. But If he was born in June not September is this an issue?  

His DOB is 09/02/1996 

it just so happens a lot of OSU players leave after 3 or 4 years and he played a lot as a redshirt sophomore in ‘17.

24 minutes ago, jimkelly02 said:

His DOB is 09/02/1996 

He'll be 24 at the start of his rookie season. It's just crazy because he'll be 24 his entire rookie season while Daryl Worley will be 25 all this season and he's going into his 5th year in the league. 

Edited by NYRaider

This is what some of the draft network guys had to say about Arnette: 

Summary: Damon Arnette is a Day 1 corner prospect for teams looking for a starter in press coverage, which should be every team in the league. The only concern with Damon Arnette's pro projection is the time it took for him to develop into a starter, as Arnette was a rare senior in the Ohio State secondary given his shaky junior performance. However, in his final season, Arnette displayed an aggressive approach to press coverage that allowed him to win by disrupting route timing early and crowding route stems in the short game. Arnette doesn't have elite speed and can lose own downfield routes, but his transitional quickness and hip mobility allow him a full range of short-area recovery, and he has tremendous ball skills at the catch point at all angles. Arnette should start in Year 1 in the league and find success as long as he keeps light feet at the line of scrimmage.

Damon Arnette Jr. projects as a universal scheme prospect at the NFL level — he possesses great functional strength, quickness, body control and ball skills. Arnette has the technique to play press or off man coverage but the burst and anticipation to play in zone coverage as well. Look for Arnette to find his place in a starting lineup quickly at the NFL level, although he may never be the focal point of an NFL secondary due to lack of elite length to shadow top receivers. A plus starter. 

An ascending player, Arnette played his best football during his final season at Ohio State after some shaky moments as a starter in 2017 and 2018. Focusing on his 2019 tape, it’s hard to poke holes in his game. Thriving primarily in press coverage, Arnette also displayed his coverage versatility in multiple techniques. Impressive moments where his ball skills, tackling and production in run support were on full display. Given his experience and growth, Arnette profiles as an early starter that is fairly scheme-versatile. 

1 hour ago, Geezy said:

Looked into Arnette early in the process and liked what I saw. I think he has the skill set to be successful. I didn’t think hed be a fit because of character concerns. Is it a reach? Who knows. But if he can come in an make an impact, I won’t be surprised. 

What character problem?

12 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

He'll be 24 at the start of his rookie season. It's just crazy because he'll be 24 his entire rookie season while Daryl Worley will be 25 all this season and he's going into his 5th year in the league. 

That is crazy to think about.  It’s obviously best to get a 22yo rookie but as a rSoph in ‘17 he played very well.  It’d be concerning if he just exploded in ‘19.  But he’s been on the radar since 21yo.

i think he’s likely to hit his peak earlier than most players who peak year 3/4/5.  He’s likely to be who he is by Year 2 or 3.  Not to say he can’t take a big step... Or two.

Unlike CJ Henderson, Okudah did not follow #1 WR’s. LCB/RCB situation like we had with Nnamdi. 

Arnette covered plenty of big school programs #1 WR throughout games. He also allowed the lowest Passer Rating in College Football according to Peter King. 

Some food for thought. 

• Like 2