Pick #19 is in: CB Damon Arnette, Ohio State

RaidersAreOne

Idk if anyone mentioned it, but Arnette played almost the entire year with his hand in a cast (broken bone) and still was able to really thrive in press man coverage.  As I said before he was a top rated CB in press coverage and had a top rating vs what pff calls “accurate passes”, which translates to how he will Against NFL QBs.

1 minute ago, BayRaider said:

Unlike CJ Henderson, Okudah did not follow #1 WR’s. LCB/RCB situation like we had with Nnamdi. 

Arnette covered plenty of big school programs #1 WR throughout games. He also allowed the lowest Passer Rating in College Football according to Peter King. 

Some food for thought. 

You miss quoted King a bit, not a big deal maybe you just paraphrased or misheard him:

he had the 3rd lowest passer rating in man coverage, it was the #1 lowest completion percentage though.

I posted this link the days just before:

https://www.pff.com/news/draft-2020-nfl-draft-top-10-cornerbacks-by-coverage-situation

He also was rated as a top tier CB vs “obvious passing situations” and “accurate passes”, where he was #2 (Fulton #1) in completion percentage 

3 hours ago, JTagg7754 said:

Re his deep speed, it might be the Woodford talking right now but I don't recall him getting beat deep at all this past season although I'm sure it happened. Obviously some of the B1G talent isn't NFL caliber but it is what it is. 

Nice choice with the woodford 

I don’t really think b1g cbs get challenged as much in terms of long speed and with guys like Tyreek  I thought top end speed would be valued highly in our cb selection. I think the Clemson game was great and an ideal matchup for him. 

3 minutes ago, jimkelly02 said:

You miss quoted King a bit, not a big deal maybe you just paraphrased or misheard him:

he had the 3rd lowest passer rating in man coverage, it was the #1 lowest completion percentage though.

I posted this link the days just before:

https://www.pff.com/news/draft-2020-nfl-draft-top-10-cornerbacks-by-coverage-situation

He also was rated as a top tier CB vs “obvious passing situations” and “accurate passes”, where he was #2 (Fulton #1) in completion percentage 

I relistened to it. He said this draft. So perhaps Stingley Jr, and someone else out performed him. 

8 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

I relistened to it. He said this draft. So perhaps Stingley Jr, and someone else out performed him. 

I provided the link. It is only players in this draft.  King Misspoke: he’s was 3rd in QBR and 1st In completion percentage in single coverage. It’s the 1st chart in the link.

Lack of arm length is the reason why I thought he fits inside, that and his physical style of play. But if he can play outside in our cover 1/3 scheme then even better. 

I think we definitely know the characteristics of the types of players Mayock wants now, hard working, physical players. I find it hard to believe that Henderson was even on our board.

• Like 3

Damn, Arnettes technique is super, super good. Very clean. Who is the DB coach at Ohio State? He is coaching these guys flawlessly. 

Also, one thing to like about Arnette, is he keeps his eye on the ball when it’s in the air. This is one of my pet peeves with other corners. Kristian Fulton and AJ Terrell, mostly Fulton, had big problems keeping their eye on the ball. This is what irritated me so much about Fultons tape. 

This is a non-issue for Arnette. He keeps his head looking at the ball, and keeps stride for stride with the receiver without breaking concentration. It’s highly impressive. 

Arnette is well coached, has brilliant technique, very disciplined, and great awareness. 

The red flags are obviously the long speed and arm length. I’m more worried about the arm length than speed TBH. 4.56 isn’t a death sentence and he doesn’t seem to ever get burned on tape. Like ever. 

His arm length will be the biggest obstacle to overcome by far to be an outside corner. 

I love his tape though. His play is great. His technique is nearly flawless.  

Edited by BayRaider
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Damn, Arnettes technique is super, super good. Very clean. Who is the DB coach at Ohio State? He is coaching these guys flawlessly. 

Also, one thing to like about Arnette, is he keeps his eye on the ball when it’s in the air. This is one of my pet peeves with other corners. Kristian Fulton and AJ Terrell, mostly Fulton, had big problems keeping their eye on the ball. This is what irritated me so much about Fultons tape. 

This is a non-issue for Arnette. He keeps his head looking at the ball, and keeps stride for stride with the receiver without breaking concentration. It’s highly impressive. 

Arnette is well coached, has brilliant technique, very disciplined, and great awareness. 

The red flags are obviously the long speed and arm length. I’m more worried about the arm length than speed TBH. 4.56 isn’t a death sentence and he doesn’t seem to ever get burned on tape. Like ever. 

His arm length will be the biggest obstacle to overcome by far to be an outside corner. 

I love his tape though. His play is great. His technique is nearly flawless.  

I'm not going to lie, I was guilty of not watching him much once he ran slow. Cris Carter said he had back problems and a hamstring issue at the combine. I don't doubt it because he didn't seem to be beat deep much at all when I watched him in coverage.

Very aggressive press technique. He sometimes looks like he wants to put the receiver in the ground. Turns for the ball when its in the air most of the time, which is uncommon in college DBs. Shows signs of ball hawking ability. That jumped route on a pick 6 was nice.

Super physical in the run game. He's flat out mean.

Fights for everything. Won't see him stay picked (henderson lmao). Won't see him outleveraged much despite his short arms. He just refuses to budge on fades/slants.  

He doesn't have elite physical tools and he gets sloppy in off coverage sometimes, but when I went back and watched him he looked about as clean as they come. His floor is higher than Terrell's IMO. Terrell has higher upside and bust potential. He is less grabby than Fulton and Gladney.

Because he'll be asked more to deal with #2 receivers as mullen takes on 1s, I feel like he can have success as a rookie. Optimistic about this one after watching the whole "all targeted snaps" video.

He reminds me of Bradley Roby. Not quite as athletic, but more physical.

• Like 1

However, with all that good stuff said, according to Ian Wharton from BR, there has been no CB since 1999 with under 31” arm length that was multi-time All-Pro. 

That’s not saying Arnette can’t be very, very good on the outside. He absolutely can be. But the odds are against him of ever being an All-Pro Outside CB. 

With how good his technique is, and how good he is in coverage, I really think he can be a good corner on the boundary. 

His absolute floor is a dominant Nickel CB, but I think he’s gonna do well on the outside and Him/Mullen are going to make a formidable team. If not, he’s a fine Joyner replacement for 2021. 

Edited by BayRaider
  • Like 1

This pick has told me 3 things:

1) This definitely applies to me, but hazard most of us if we were truthful - we are so reliant on the media to shape our opinion. I liked a number of tier 2 CBs and had expressed that I didn’t mind reaching a bit for Terrell, Johnson, Fulton, Gladney. Then Arnette was the pick and I was wtf? Just because I hadn’t been exposed to him as much and was less familiar I was disappointed. Now I’ve actually seen what type of player he is I’m okay with it. The media circus really does suck us in and make us feel like we know where players should go. It’s all bs

2) Scheme, fit and need above all else. This is a positive and a negative and applies to the Ruggs pick too. The negative is that we feel we reach on certain picks (again part of this is point 1) and perhaps sometimes take the lesser all round player but the plus is that we have a model we are working towards. Parameters we are setting in order to play a certain way. It’s what we’ve been clamouring for for years. Ruggs was higher than Jeudy and Lamb because of his fit in Gruden’s scheme. Arnette (and I believe Terrel if he was there) fit the scheme and physical profile of the CBS they want. They have a plan and while it might not please all, surely this is better than the alternative

3) Physicality- Mayock and Gruden are clearly trying to bring in physical players on D. We heard rumours from those that know them (Jeremiah etc.) that they wouldn’t touch Henderson. We don’t know if that is true, but Arnette fits that physical mould. He’s got that ‘dog’ mentality as BP likes to say. Add that with Mullen and Abram (and Heath for that matter) and we’ve got a real physical back end and players that can tackle. I think that being physical and being able to tackle well are massively high on Mayock’s desired traits.

Although I am still a little underwhelmed by the pick (mainly as I just hadn’t watched as many YouTube videos of him!) - I am pleased with it as it reinforces my belief that Grudock are trying to create a team with a specific style and with specific character types.

• Like 11

2 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

However, with all that good stuff said, according to Ian Wharton from BR, there has been no CB since 1999 with under 31” arm length that was multi-time All-Pro. 

That’s not saying Arnette can’t be very, very good on the outside. He absolutely can be. But the odds are against him of ever being an All-Pro Outside CB. 

With how good his technique is, and how good he is in coverage, I really think he can be a good corner on the boundary. 

His absolute floor is a dominant Nickel CB, but I think he’s gonna do well on the outside and Him/Mullen are going to make a formidable team. If not, he’s a fine Joyner replacement for 2021. 

I see what you're saying. I dont expect him to be an all pro. Maybe okudah will be. MAYBE Terrell if he hits his ceiling. Floor in corners is most important IMO. A good corner is super valuable, even if they're not elite.

To add to what I said, when Arnette gets cute and doesn't press and tries to purely mirror, he doesn't have the elite juice to stay with super twitchy WRs.

He also doesn't have elite length to be able to knock away perfectly thrown passes (e.g. one I saw to Cephus).

If Arnette goes against a receiver with elite route running/twich, or who is very large and has a super accurate qb, he will struggle if he can't continue to refine his press technique (which is really good most but not all the time). But against NFL WRs who lack elite traits, he can definitely thrive.

2 minutes ago, reddevil said:

This pick has told me 3 things:

1) This definitely applies to me, but hazard most of us if we were truthful - we are so reliant on the media to shape our opinion. I liked a number of tier 2 CBs and had expressed that I didn’t mind reaching a bit for Terrell, Johnson, Fulton, Gladney. Then Arnette was the pick and I was wtf? Just because I hadn’t been exposed to him as much and was less familiar I was disappointed. Now I’ve actually seen what type of player he is I’m okay with it. The media circus really does suck us in and make us feel like we know where players should go. It’s all bs

2) Scheme, fit and need above all else. This is a positive and a negative and applies to the Ruggs pick too. The negative is that we feel we reach on certain picks (again part of this is point 1) and perhaps sometimes take the lesser all round player but the plus is that we have a model we are working towards. Parameters we are setting in order to play a certain way. It’s what we’ve been clamouring for for years. Ruggs was higher than Jeudy and Lamb because of his fit in Gruden’s scheme. Arnette (and I believe Terrel if he was there) fit the scheme and physical profile of the CBS they want. They have a plan and while it might not please all, surely this is better than the alternative

3) Physicality- Mayock and Gruden are clearly trying to bring in physical players on D. We heard rumours from those that know them (Jeremiah etc.) that they wouldn’t touch Henderson. We don’t know if that is true, but Arnette fits that physical mould. He’s got that ‘dog’ mentality as BP likes to say. Add that with Mullen and Abram (and Heath for that matter) and we’ve got a real physical back end and players that can tackle. I think that being physical and being able to tackle well are massively high on Mayock’s desired traits.

Although I am still a little underwhelmed by the pick (mainly as I just hadn’t watched as many YouTube videos of him!) - I am pleased with it as it reinforces my belief that Grudock are trying to create a team with a specific style and with specific character types.

Arnette is the definition of a dog. He is the anti-henderson in this draft. He's actually the most physical corner and tackled very well with a broken wrist :o

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Arnette is the definition of a dog. He is the anti-henderson in this draft. He's actually the most physical corner and tackled very well with a broken wrist :o

I saw him grab his wrist multiple times after a tackle out of pain and then just get amped up and ready for the next play. This dude is the Maxx Crosby of CBs. 

Edited by BayRaider
  • Like 1