Pick #19 is in: CB Damon Arnette, Ohio State

RaidersAreOne

Last thing. The Clemon game showed his pros and cons. He had a beautiful rep on Justyn Ross (top 10 talent next year) where he got his hands on him and erased him. Turned for the ball and defended it beautifully. But then he got put in off coverage and struggled a bit. Also had a grabby rep where he was already in great position.

Coach him and get the good reps out of him and try to get rid of the bad ones. His highs are really high. Put him in press, clean up his hands (just a bit they're definitely not bad or overly grabby on most plays), and make his press technique more consistent.

If you can do those things, I see a potential high end starter as a press man corner.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

I see what you're saying. I dont expect him to be an all pro. Maybe okudah will be. MAYBE Terrell if he hits his ceiling. Floor in corners is most important IMO. A good corner is super valuable, even if they're not elite.

To add to what I said, when Arnette gets cute and doesn't press and tries to purely mirror, he doesn't have the elite juice to stay with super twitchy WRs.

He also doesn't have elite length to be able to knock away perfectly thrown passes (e.g. one I saw to Cephus).

If Arnette goes against a receiver with elite route running/twich, or who is very large and has a super accurate qb, he will struggle if he can't continue to refine his press technique (which is really good most but not all the time). But against NFL WRs who lack elite traits, he can definitely thrive.

I’m not sure many CBs can make a play on that Cephus throw. Although, yes, another 1 1/2 inches on his arm length would of helped. He had perfect coverage. Great throw tbh. 

However, yeah, he’s gonna have some issues with the Great QB/WR combinations. He’ll certainly be tested against the Chiefs 2x and the NFC South, the premier passing division of football.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

I'm not going to lie, I was guilty of not watching him much once he ran slow. Cris Carter said he had back problems and a hamstring issue at the combine. I don't doubt it because he didn't seem to be beat deep much at all when I watched him in coverage.

Very aggressive press technique. He sometimes looks like he wants to put the receiver in the ground. Turns for the ball when its in the air most of the time, which is uncommon in college DBs. Shows signs of ball hawking ability. That jumped route on a pick 6 was nice.

Super physical in the run game. He's flat out mean.

Fights for everything. Won't see him stay picked (henderson lmao). Won't see him outleveraged much despite his short arms. He just refuses to budge on fades/slants.  

He doesn't have elite physical tools and he gets sloppy in off coverage sometimes, but when I went back and watched him he looked about as clean as they come. His floor is higher than Terrell's IMO. Terrell has higher upside and bust potential. He is less grabby than Fulton and Gladney.

Because he'll be asked more to deal with #2 receivers as mullen takes on 1s, I feel like he can have success as a rookie. Optimistic about this one after watching the whole "all targeted snaps" video.

He reminds me of Bradley Roby. Not quite as athletic, but more physical.

Same. And really well summed up after watching him. I like his physical play and his willingness to bring it in the run game is on brand for G/M. There is a lot here to like.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, agarcia34 said:
Check out this twitter thread to know more about Aernette

9 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Incredible tape breakdown. Super surprised I haven't heard of him (Crock) with how I love to breakdown corner play. (what I played in high school and junior college and semi pro).

Arnette can play. I actually feel good about the pick. I hope O'neil, Johnson and Mullen pick him up from the airport and just say let's get it and get him ready to start day 1.

• Like 1

I don't care if it's a perceived reach. I liked that we went CB. I have no idea how these teams rank CBs, and I get people not loving the pick, because of the mocks, but I like that he can play inside/outside.

Didn't allow more than 1 TD in any season he played. I mean, if he was a 4.6 guy, wouldn't someone have taken him deep?

Love the press man technique. He smack people at the line. 

Had the best passer rating against in man to man coverage. Of any CB, in the country. How mad can I really be about that?

Edited by massraider

thoughts

1. I think he's a solid player overall with good film 
  2. He fits our scheme as a press man CB but lacks 1st round traits for that type of player - slow, lacks great fluidity, short arms, old
  3. His margin for error is very small given his speed/fluidity/length issues - if he messes up his press he's going to look pretty bad
  4. He may need to move into the slot at some point given speed & length issues
  5. I know he's had some character issues at Ohio St so I'm a little worried how he does in Vegas
  6. Very annoying how we seemingly lock into positions of need - I know most teams do this to a certain degree but it stands out more with us plus the well-run teams will generally trade down when they're locked onto a position and know the value isn't there. I think it shows how coach dominated we are.
Edited by Chwf3rd25
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Dessie said:

Lack of arm length is the reason why I thought he fits inside, that and his physical style of play. But if he can play outside in our cover 1/3 scheme then even better. 

I think we definitely know the characteristics of the types of players Mayock wants now, hard working, physical players. I find it hard to believe that Henderson was even on our board.

Yes, Henderson is basically the opposite of Arnette. Quite obvious we want to be regarded as a physical team.

2 hours ago, reddevil said:

This pick has told me 3 things:

1) This definitely applies to me, but hazard most of us if we were truthful - we are so reliant on the media to shape our opinion. I liked a number of tier 2 CBs and had expressed that I didn’t mind reaching a bit for Terrell, Johnson, Fulton, Gladney. Then Arnette was the pick and I was wtf? Just because I hadn’t been exposed to him as much and was less familiar I was disappointed. Now I’ve actually seen what type of player he is I’m okay with it. The media circus really does suck us in and make us feel like we know where players should go. It’s all bs

Totally guilty of this as well. I still don't think he's a guy with great upside though. Good technique, 100% football player, athletically limited. Reminds me of Ferrell.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Chwf3rd25 said:

thoughts

1. I think he's a solid player overall with good film 
  2. He fits our scheme as a press man CB but lacks 1st round traits for that type of player - slow, lacks great fluidity, short arms, old
  3. His margin for error is very small given his speed/fluidity/length issues - if he messes up his press he's going to look pretty bad
  4. He may need to move into the slot at some point given speed & length issues
  5. I know he's had some character issues at Ohio St so I'm a little worried how he does in Vegas
  6. Very annoying how we seemingly lock into positions of need - I know most teams do this to a certain degree but it stands out more with us plus the well-run teams will generally trade down when they're locked onto a position and know the value isn't there. I think it shows how coach dominated we are.

He was a Mayock pick all the way, and as far as not trading down on the Ruggs pick chances are Niners were taking him at 13.

7 minutes ago, raidr4life said:

He was a Mayock pick all the way, and as far as not trading down on the Ruggs pick chances are Niners were taking him at 13.

Why do you think he was a Mayock pick? Maybe he was (we don't know) but generally when teams focus on positions of need as much as we do that's a sign of a coach dominated team.  Furthermore, Arnette makes sense in that scenario as Ohio St is one of the few teams that consistently runs NFL style coverages (and specifically our scheme).  Coaches can see Arnette doing exactly what they're going to ask him to do.  Generally, scouting types are more comfortable with projection.

How do you know SF was going to draft Ruggs at 13?  Shannhan said after the draft that Lamb and Aiyuk were their top 2 WRs.

3 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Arnette is the definition of a dog. He is the anti-henderson in this draft. He's actually the most physical corner and tackled very well with a broken wrist :o

Seeing that we were also linked to Jaylon Johnson who I like alot, I can see why they like Arnette I think they are the two most physical CB's in this draft. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Chwf3rd25 said:

Why do you think he was a Mayock pick? Maybe he was (we don't know) but generally when teams focus on positions of need as much as we do that's a sign of a coach dominated team.  Furthermore, Arnette makes sense in that scenario as Ohio St is one of the few teams that consistently runs NFL style coverages (and specifically our scheme).  Coaches can see Arnette doing exactly what they're going to ask him to do.  Generally, scouting types are more comfortable with projection.

How do you know SF was going to draft Ruggs at 13?  Shannhan said after the draft that Lamb and Aiyuk were their top 2 WRs.

Why did Shannahan trade back after we took Ruggs and why did he pass on Lamb when he was there for the taking and risk Aiyuk not even being there later Phi or Min could have easily taken him then maybe Justin Jefferson would have been his favorite WR if you get my point. Every coach says they got there guy after the draft. You think Gruden scouted Arnette? Mayocks staple has been physical tough football players.

Edited by raidr4life
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, raidr4life said:

Why did Shannahan trade back after we took Ruggs and why did he pass on Lamb when he was there for the taking and risk Aiyuk not even being there later Phi or Min could have easily taken him then maybe Justin Jefferson would have been his favorite WR if you get my point. Every coach says they got there guy after the draft. You think Gruden scouted Arnette? Mayocks staple has been physical tough football players.

Because it was clear TB wanted a OT so there was zero downside in trading back 1 pick?

Kinlaw was great value at 14 and with the depth of this WR class it makes perfect sense to pick him and then use your second 1st on a WR.

I'm not saying that I even believe what Shanahan said post draft but we have no idea whether they were going to pick Ruggs.

Back to Arnette - I'm not saying he wasn't Mayocks top CB available.  The point is that coaches generally want to fill needs, regardless of value, which is exactly what we've done the last 3 years since Gruden got here:

• 2018 - locked into OT
  • 2019 - locked into DE
  • 2020 - locked into WR + CB
  • Like 1