1.26 - Jordan Love [QB; Utah State] - QB1

CWood21

17 hours ago, MaximusGluteus said:

I was actually going to say pretty much the exact same thing lol.  Airmail that thing into the luxury boxes with Lazard running wide open over the middle.

Even more impressive is that he combined Favre's pass vs. the Giants/the 2003 Divisional Game Pick with his own yolo shot to Davante. Truly a sight to behold.

On 1/9/2023 at 8:35 AM, vegas492 said:

It was pretty close.  He relied on an arm that is no longer there.  Did you see how that ball and other deep balls, floated back towards the middle of the field?  That there is lack of arm strength.  Could be he's old, could be he couldn't get "all of it" into the throw.  But he really showed a lack of arm strength.

He should've been picked 3 times on those f'in arm punts.

• Like 2

On 1/10/2023 at 1:40 AM, Striker said:

Even more impressive is that he combined Favre's pass vs. the Giants/the 2003 Divisional Game Pick with his own yolo shot to Davante. Truly a sight to behold.

Why do we have an issue with him deciding to chuck it to the guy who runs 22 mph? Have an issue with the absolute duck of the throw, but it was the right decision. Lazard wasn't open by the time Rodgers had to release the ball. Dillon botched that.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

It was a bad throw but also important to note Dillon missed his assignment, rushing Rodgers decision.

I don't think Dillon necessarily missed his assignment. 

It was a scat protection call to Tonyan. We run a lot of this when we get 7 rushers vs. 7 blockers. The idea is to get everybody committed with the rush and then toss it over their head to Tonyan who slipped out. 

pZEBJbe.jpg

Dillon moves left to fill the big gap created when Myers fans right and Jenkins fans left like you're supposed to, expecting to pick up whichever of the 3 rushers don't get picked up by Jenkins and Bakhtiari.

I've seen this handled three different ways. 

1. Just get in front of one of the free rushers. Doesn't matter which. The ball should be out anyway.

2. Get in front of the most immediate threat.

3. Get in front of the guy rushing from the scat read side, as by going to hit him, you'll get his hands down so he doesn't bat the throw.  

e1I2PLR.jpg

The defender sees Tonyan slip out and abandons his rush to pursue. Tonyan's not covered enough that you can't throw to him. But because the defender abandons his rush, it now looks like Dillon didn't have anybody to block and therefore he missed the free rusher to the weak side.

+++

TLDR: Dillon blocked like he expected Rodgers to take the hot read in the 7 v 6+scat arrangement. 

Rodgers expected Dillon to block like Rodgers was going to unleash the dragon. 

If I had to guess, this is a situation where outcome makes right and Rodgers was in the wrong by not going to his hot read. 

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

I don't think Dillon necessarily missed his assignment. 

It was a scat protection call to Tonyan. We run a lot of this when we get 7 rushers vs. 7 blockers. The idea is to get everybody committed with the rush and then toss it over their head to Tonyan who slipped out. 

pZEBJbe.jpg

Dillon moves left to fill the big gap created when Myers fans right and Jenkins fans left like you're supposed to, expecting to pick up whichever of the 3 rushers don't get picked up by Jenkins and Bakhtiari.

I've seen this handled three different ways. 

1. Just get in front of one of the free rushers. Doesn't matter which. The ball should be out anyway.

2. Get in front of the most immediate threat.

3. Get in front of the guy rushing from the scat read side, as by going to hit him, you'll get his hands down so he doesn't bat the throw.  

e1I2PLR.jpg

The defender sees Tonyan slip out and abandons his rush to pursue. Tonyan's not covered enough that you can't throw to him. But because the defender abandons his rush, it now looks like Dillon didn't have anybody to block and therefore he missed the free rusher to the weak side.

+++

TLDR: Dillon blocked like he expected Rodgers to take the hot read in the 7 v 6+scat arrangement. 

Rodgers expected Dillon to block like Rodgers was going to unleash the dragon. 

If I had to guess, this is a situation where outcome makes right and Rodgers was in the wrong by not going to his hot read. 

There was no hot, it was a 3 man concept if I recall.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Looks like a 30yd gain if he hits Tonyan to me

I don't mean to be rude, but what the hell are you seeing? I'm seeing a pick more than a completion, let alone a 30 yarder. That's a soft loft over 4 guys before it gets to Bobby, DB turns his head around and it's a pick.

The play is supposed to go to Laz, and that blitzer needed to be picked up by Dillon. No way we called the protection to throw hot in the 2 minute on 3rd and 10. You max protect that and hope to burn their aggression.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Packerraymond said:

He has a trailing DB? Not really open anyway, plus it's 3rd and 10 in 2 minute drill down 4, you don't throw a 1 yard dump off there. 

He is absolutely open. Come on.

Also, get the hell out of here with this "2-minute drill" nonsense. The ball was snapped with 3:37 left in the game. 

And you can say "you don't throw a 1 yard dump off there," but you'd rather a blind heave into double coverage than getting a shot to go for it on 4th and 4?

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

He is absolutely open. Come on.

Also, get the hell out of here with this "2-minute drill" nonsense. The ball was snapped with 3:37 left in the game. 

And you can say "you don't throw a 1 yard dump off there," but you'd rather a blind heave into double coverage than getting a shot to go for it on 4th and 4?

No the play is supposed to be blocked correctly and Lazard is supposed to gain 20.

Blame Rodgers for the duck, the play failed because of Dillon. Tonyan was not the read there.

• Like 1

Amazing reading people putting theories into AJ Dillon's head thinking he knows a play concept and read progression over the damn QB in that situation as to why he completely F***ed up his blocking assignment, allowing a free rushing up the gut into your QB's face, which started the chain reaction in the following 2-3 seconds of that play.