1.26 - Jordan Love [QB; Utah State] - QB1

CWood21

1 minute ago, YaddaHolla said:

but can you argue against the fact that it’s either trade down at 30 or take Love? You can’t argue against that. So either gain an extra 4th or prepare for the future. Is a 4th really worth a potential franchise QB. The risk vs reward here is worth it. That’s what this is all about. People want a player that would’ve impacted this coming season. Sorry but that player doesn’t exist in this draft for the Packers. 

This makes no sense.   No I won't agree that the options were only to trade down or take Love.   We have hundreds of options.  We chose a bad one.   Probably the only worse options were trading up and taking a different available QB  even more likely to bust out than Love.  

There are going to be players that are really good that were available at pick 25 or 30 and beyond.   We could have taken any of them and been better able to compete during the current window.

If the argument is that there is not a current window,  then we should have been trading Rodgers for whatever we could get.   We should not have given Rodgers the stupid contract we did while his old contract still had open years on it.

Just now, hitnhope said:

This makes no sense.   No I won't agree that the options were only to trade down or take Love.   We have hundreds of options.  We chose a bad one.   Probably the only worse options were trading up and taking a different available QB  even more likely to bust out than Love.  

There are going to be players that are really good that were available at pick 25 or 30 and beyond.   We could have taken any of them and been better able to compete during the current window.

If the argument is that there is not a current window,  then we should have been trading Rodgers for whatever we could get.   We should not have given Rodgers the stupid contract we did while his old contract still had open years on it.

Hundreds? Cmon man. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Serious question. Would Jordan Love have been a top 5 pick this year had he played the last 2 years with LSU? 

based on his 2018 play, he probably would have been a top 2 pick at a major program with consistent offensive coaching.

OR

he would have been a mid-round pick because he fell flat even with the right tools around him

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, hitnhope said:

Not at all.    Favre had been threatening to retire yearly for several years.

The cap ramifications were different.

The contracts were different.

I was happy with the pick in 2005.   Today's NFL is different.

I  agree with this.  I  know some want to make the roster out to be a talentless mess that got to 13 wins by luck, but this team is a lot more talented than that 2005 one.  

In 2005, we got a substantially better player.  This year we moved up for a project who showed MAJOR flaws this last year when they needed him to be a more pro style offense.  He lead the nation in INTs and it was mostly the result of terrible decision making.   He's a project in my eyes.  I  know some want to make him into Pat Mahomes while ignoring that Mahomes has high end weapons while we're expecting Rodgers to perform at an elite level with one of the least talented set of pass catchers in the NFL.  Outside of Adams, do we have a pass catcher that we know without a doubt would start elsewhere in the NFL?  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, YaddaHolla said:

but can you argue against the fact that it’s either trade down at 30 or take Love? You can’t argue against that. So either gain an extra 4th or prepare for the future. Is a 4th really worth a potential franchise QB. The risk vs reward here is worth it. That’s what this is all about. People want a player that would’ve impacted this coming season. Sorry but that player doesn’t exist in this draft for the Packers. 

Actually it did, Tee Higgins (still available) many people projected him to be a late 1st round pick who could have challenged for that number 2 WR spot or even Patrick Queen MLB from LSU could have been the number 2 MLB and seen the field a lot who was taken at 30.

Just now, packfanfb said:

Cap hit to the team acquiring Rodgers should be the $22.65M number for 2022. Packers eat $17m of the $40m cap hit. 

Yeah, 2022 we realistically could move on from AR (I'd only do this if Love showed out during like an injury stretch or AR went full Eli). 22M could get us about any position player. 

3 minutes ago, dwaye50327 said:

Actually it did, Tee Higgins (still available) many people projected him to be a late 1st round pick who could have challenged for that number 2 WR spot or even Patrick Queen MLB from LSU could have been the number 2 MLB and seen the field a lot who was taken at 30.

You can get a Higgins tier player in Round 2 and ILB is the least important position on defense so there’s little value there

• Like 1

Catching up.....

Couldn't help but see the enormous smiles on MLF and Gute when they made the pick.  Love was clearly the guy that they wanted, maybe even coveted.

And...there is much to Love about him.  Prototypical size.  Moves really, really well.  Nice arm strength.  Can throw from different angles and on the run.  I hate his release, accuracy is spotty and he's slow to read defenses sometimes.

Those things that are wrong with him are correctable.  Just like they were with Rodgers.

We know that Rodgers has clearly regressed the last 3 years.  Maybe even more.  This pick was about the future of the Packers, not the present.  

In my eyes, the board was pretty bad already and getting worse.  I would have preferred a trade back, but if you view a QB as a possible franchise guy, you take him and let the rest shake out.

Let's not pretend like we haven't seen this movie before.  There will be growing pains, no doubt.  But there is a lot of potential happiness in this pick.

And there are nice weapons in the second round and later that can still help out right away.

All is not lost, like at all.  And what we've done is taken a QB who is in a GREAT situation to sit, learn and improve.  It's the ideal spot for Love.  

I'd argue the right time for this kind of move would have been next year, but again, when you can get a guy that you think is a franchise QB, you take him and figure the rest out.

I'm willing to GIVE LOVE A CHANCE!!  Which, should be painted on that fence outside of Lambeau in two years.

• Like 9

1 minute ago, YaddaHolla said:

You can get a Higgins tier player in Round 2 and ILB is the least important position on defense so there’s little value there

I guess you missed where SF ran through the Packers defense and broke the rushing record in the playoff, there's plenty of value in a MLB especially since they are essentially the QB's of the defense.

You said the value wasn't there for the packers at 30, but it was with Higgins, so if they would have drafted Higgins, it would have been a safe move.

26 minutes ago, hitnhope said:

You don't know this.   This take is FOS.     He may have played poorly and been a late round pick.   It is impossible to know.

I agree.  You can't put Love's ability to read defenses or decision making into the same category as Burrows.  There is a reason Love lead FBS in INTs this last year.  He's got as load of potential but his decision making is awful at times.  Utah state tried to make him into more of a pro style QB this year and the result was a ton of INTs.  

Don't think you could just plug any warm body into LSU's offense this year and expect the record setting season Burrows had. 

• Like 1

I really hope people cut it out with the Mahomes comparisons, like now. That is just ridiculous and unfair to the kid. 

That said, you couldn't possibly have given this guy a better opportunity to succeed. He gets to sit and watch a HOF for the next couple years while being molded by hand to run LaFleur's offense. I can understand why LaFleur was so happy with the pick. Here's hoping it works half as well as it did for Rodgers-McCarthy.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, deltarich87 said:

..........Rodgers contract basically means we aren't talking until 2023 at the earliest for when we see change).......waiting until Love is 24-25 yrs old and in yr4-5 of his rookie deal before he likely gets his chance as the heir apparent.... This completely nullifies any advantage you'd have with him on his rookie contract since he'll be up for an extension by the time he gets his chance. 

Not quite. Cap-wise they could easily move on from Rodgers prior to the 2022 season. GB's QB spending wouldn't be Russell-Wilson-cheap in 2022, but it would still probably be middle-of-the-pack in league terms, which is still a decent discount if Love is a great player by then. Then in 2023, they'd have alot of free cap space to use. 

So it would not completely nullify the advantage of Love being on his rookie deal. Maybe you'd have 1-2 years of "cheap" advantage instead of 2-3 years (since it's not likely the QB will win the SB in their rookie years regardless of if they end up being a great QB later). Meanwhile you'd probably get more in trade value from Rodgers if you trade him while he is younger and other teams might convince themselves they could get a Vikings version of Favre out of him. 

Waiting for the stars to align cap wise and then move on in the theoretical "perfect" year is not a very realistic expectation and very rarely happens for NFL teams, even if they do manage to stumble onto a good prospect. Even with Russell Wilson being the cheap, the Seahawks were having to pay off the rest of Flynn's salary at the same time. Baltimore was still paying huge Flacco cap hits in 2018 and 2019 during Jackson's first years. The Cowboys were having to pay a ton of cap space to Romo in Prescott's first years. Colts had to take a decent dead-money hit from Manning in 2012 when Luck was starting. Philly ended up paying like 23m in QB/dead money cap hits for Bradford/Sanchez/C.Daniel over the first 2 years of Wentz. 

KC probably did the best example of what you are suggesting, but even they were paying off some dead money to Alex Smith in 2018. But examples like Mahomes/KC are situations that are few and far between. Hard to set the theoretical *ideal as the expectation, no matter how much we hope for it.

7 minutes ago, SSG said:

I agree.  You can't put Love's ability to read defenses or decision making into the same category as Burrows.  There is a reason Love lead FBS in INTs this last year.  He's got as load of potential but his decision making is awful at times.  Utah state tried to make him into more of a pro style QB this year and the result was a ton of INTs.  

Don't think you could just plug any warm body into LSU's offense this year and expect the record setting season Burrows had. 

Every single player on that LSU offense will be drafted. Every. single. one. Their OC was the hottest NFL OC on the market this offseason. Their coach is a Louisiana legend.

There won't be a single player on that USU team that gets invited to an NFL camp. The coaching staff is a bunch of retread mediocre college guys.

Jordan Love led the NCAA in picks last year because he had the mindset that the team would only go as far as he tried to carry it, and thus took risks. Not the mindset you want any singular player to take, but he wasn't wrong. Comparing Burrows situation with Love's is downright unfair. 

• Like 3