1.26 - Jordan Love [QB; Utah State] - QB1

CWood21

9 minutes ago, NFLGURU said:

Yes, saw all of them play.  Griese was a push button QB,  was hurt for most of the undefeated season,   pick an above average QB and they do what Griese did for that team.  

Namath won a hyped up SB, but was more know for off the field stuff that his career stats.

Hornung was suspended a year for gambling which back then was a major no-no.  Finished his rushing career with a whopping 3700 yards, finishing between Packer greats Gerry Ellis and Eddie Lacy in career rushing yards.   

Once MISSED 26 field goals in a season, not his career, in a season (1964).    

He was a goal line guy.  Taylor did the grunt work and Hornung ran it in from 3 yards out, and got the headlines.

Good all around football player, but VASTLY overrated.

There is a lot to unpack here.

Hornung and Namath were a couple of the faces of the NFL that brought it into the spotlight.  Huge personalities that paved the way to the TV contracts enjoyed today.  A reason for the lack of stats was the reduced schedules compared to today's NFL.  Both very deserving of the Hall because of their influence and star power.  Even Hornung's suspension was, in a weird way, publicity for the league.  Can you name five other players that were suspended for a whole year and still impacted the game?

Namath....well, he was probably the most talented QB I ever watched including Rodgers.  His knees went out and he still led his team to a Super Bowl win.  Find some highlights of him at Alabama, best college QB ever.

Griese was a game manager, but he was part of some great Dolphin teams.  Winning never hurts.

• Like 1

About Bob Griese I will put this out there. (Not sure why since this is the Jordan Love thread)

Since they say I am lazy, (but as Joe Walsh would say- it takes all my time), I will just throw some wikipedia out there:

Any modern QB with this collection achievements would be in the running for the HOF.  Add in that he saved the undefeated season by replacing Morrell in coming back from the broken leg helping boost the legend.

Football in the 60's and 70's was about running the football, and passers dealt with rules that favored the defense in the passing game relative to today.

Not a big Griese fan, but he belongs there.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Dubz41 said:

There is a lot to unpack here.

Hornung....A reason for the lack of stats was the reduced schedules compared to today's NFL. 

Noooo, that is wildly incorrect in Hornung's case. <36 YPG is indefensible for a RB claiming to be HoF caliber; heck, his BEST season of 56.8 would only put him at around 850 yds in a 16 game season. 

His on-field accomplishments are extremely marginal; even his "goal-line guy" rep is a bit overstated - he had a couple seasons where he (barely) outproduced Taylor in TDs, but usually it was the other way around - Taylor doubling up on Hornung. The season Hornung was suspended Tom "who?" Moore put up 132-658-6 with 23-237-2 receiving, which would've been right in line with his production in 59 and 61 (681-7 rushing, 15-113 rec and 597-8, 15-145-2, respectively), and yardage wise right there with his 1960 season (that was the season Hornung tallied 13 rushing tds though)....so it's pretty damning when a JAG can more or less replicate a player's "peak" stats. Also in 63 the team went 11-2-1, so you can either say he wasn't missed, OR you can absolutely destroy him for causing the team to finish behind the 11-1-2 Bears in the standings and lose out on the chance at another championship. 

Watched Love's presser today.  Has confidence gotta like that.  Well spoken and has that look in his eye.  Guess he was sharp in practice today also.  Kid has a lot to learn and he knows it.  That's good.  First time I've heard him speak.  Can see why the Packers drafted him.   Rodgers isn't doing himself any favors by holding out.  Everyday every rep this kid is going to get better and better.  

https://www.packers.com/video/love-packers-offense-enjoyed-bounce-back-day-on-wednesday

16 minutes ago, Scoremore said:

https://www.packers.com/news/packers-minicamp-qb-jordan-love-puts-together-impressive-practice?fbclid=IwAR0VMcSUc5_3gMlKYmSaA1lWL-vQ-zoKt47mfTfM_U8OKHQtP9Xg3CZ-PV8

Another positive article.  Hope Rodgers doesn't show for training camp.  The longer he's gone the better Love will get.  He's getting intensive coaching and a lot of reps.  

This is great for Loves development, getting the reps, learning the offense.

A really unseen development in this is he's learning to handle controversy, the media firestorm coming.  Great training for him dealing with the publicity noise surrounding this camp. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Norm said:

Aaron helping progress Love's in GB career while trying to make sure it doesn't happen. Real smart Aaron.

Yah but I think he really doesn't want to play in GB anymore.  Pookie doesn't want to live here.  He can't be apart from her so he wants to play out west.  Only thing that makes sense.  He's P whipped.  If the Packers don't trade him he'll be back at some point during training camp.  He'll also play like crap this season.  Packers really need to trade him.

45 minutes ago, Scoremore said:

1) Yah but I think he really doesn't want to play in GB anymore. 
2) Pookie doesn't want to live here.  He can't be apart from her so he wants to play out west.  Only thing that makes sense.  He's P whipped. 
3) If the Packers don't trade him he'll be back at some point during training camp. 
4) He'll also play like crap this season.  Packers really need to trade him.

These assertions are looking a lot like a house built on shifting sand.............or a flood plain................or on the slopes of an active volcano.

48 minutes ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

These assertions are looking a lot like a house built on shifting sand.............or a flood plain................or on the slopes of an active volcano.

Hey it's all speculation.  This is mine.  I bet I'm right though.  Nothing has really changed as far as the way Packers do business.  So what changed?  Aaron got engaged that's what changed.  That's my story and I'm sticking to it.  We are dealing with human beings here.  Aaron met the one he's all in love now.  I'm sure some things the FO have bothered him.  But not enough to try to force a trade and not show up for camp.  Reporters don't want to tread here for fear of backlash I have the luxury of not worrying about it.  Really think a Hollywood actress wants to hang out in GB?  Aaron wants out to start his new life with Pookie.  Live out west and raise little Aaron's where he and his new wife can live together.  Denver, Vegas, SF.  Only thing that makes sense.  Common guys this must have occurred to some of you. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, incognito_man said:

Here's an angle: Rodgers is secretly a really nice guy and wanted to do Love a favor jump-starting his career with all these practice reps.

Yep, just like Ol’ Brett did for Rodgers by waffling all of those summers.

I don’t think it’s intended  by AR but  still can have the same results. At least it gives our staff a chance to work with and evaluate Love after essentially a lost offseason last year.  I have no idea what 12 will leverage out of the f/o but for many reasons trading him this year is tough.  The more we know about Love, the clearer the decision for the MVP. 

Why does everybody keep referring to last year as a 'lost season' for Love? He was at every practice, meeting and game. The coaches had a chance to correct or start correcting mechanical issues. He learned what it takes to be a professional and by all accounts absorbed a lot.

The only thing he didn't get to do that he normally would have was play in a few preseason games against vanilla defenses. I'm not sure that equates to a 'lost season!'

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Why does everybody keep referring to last year as a 'lost season' for Love? He was at every practice, meeting and game. The coaches had a chance to correct or start correcting mechanical issues. He learned what it takes to be a professional and by all accounts absorbed a lot.

The only thing he didn't get to do that he normally would have was play in a few preseason games against vanilla defenses. I'm not sure that equates to a 'lost season!'

It’s just a simple way to acknowledge that he got much less development than he would have with the OTA’s and at the time, 4 preseason games. Being QB3 throughout a season that limited practice time/contacts also meant he got very few reps.

Now, classroom time and working with the staff and understanding the playbook, he’s got that and it is why he has more confidence stepping in this year. It can’t be denied he lost many valuable reps due to the protocols but of course he still was in the building getting his feet wet. 

*also, I said lost offseason which is not the same as season where he would have been riding the bench in any case. 

Edited by Refugee