The QB Thread: Everything Carr, Stidham and beyond...

RaidersAreOne

8 hours ago, bucksavage1 said:

I wouldn’t jump to that conclusion yet.

QBs can change up NFL training and coaching. The QBs this season was compared to the 2004 draft class and they struggled as a whole mostly. I’m actually intrigued by Zappe

It's pretty difficult to rank the top group of guys and I think it will really come down to team preference. Willis, Howell, Strong, Ridder, Corral, and Pickett all have their strengths and weaknesses. But after those 6 guys there's a huge drop off. 

47 minutes ago, bucksavage1 said:

Yes, I’m talking about 2021 draft that was heralded as the best since 04. They mostly struggled in the rookie year. Was basically saying that isn’t a lock that 2022 QB class is automatically bad like everyone lots are saying

That’s what I thought👍

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

The old miss dude if so supposedly he’s got immaturity issues which isn’t good esp in Vegas 

No he’s from southeastern La. small school late round project. 6’7” 250. Good arm, ok mobility, needs work but if harbs and pep are here why not a 7th on him. Gonna research more. Southeastern Louisiana QB Cole Kelley, an Arkansas transfer, has some intriguing tools. Quick, fluid release motion and consistent feet. Kelley’s skillset reminds me of Bills QB Josh Allen, good arm talent, excellent size, and good enough mobility to extend and improvise plays. https://t.co/oumrwk4gLu

Southeastern Louisiana QB Cole Kelley, an Arkansas transfer, has some intriguing tools. Quick, fluid release motion and consistent feet. Kelley’s skillset reminds me of Bills QB Josh Allen, good arm talent, excellent size, and good enough mobility to extend and improvise plays. https://t.co/oumrwk4gLu

I just watched a 12 min highlight vid. (It’s highlights so taken with a grain of salt.lol) he was short on 2 long completions but had quite a few good tight window throws. Decent mobility and pocket presence/movement. Had a few nice off platform throws. Did a decent job of keeping his eyes downfield instead of just taking off. Overall he appears to have some definite tools to work with (especially for a late rnd prospect) I think calling him a poor mans JA is ok. That’s not a bad thing at all. Gotta find out why the transfer from Arkansas. 

Edited by Devilshark69

57 minutes ago, Devilshark69 said:

I just watched a 12 min highlight vid. (It’s highlights so taken with a grain of salt.lol) he was short on 2 long completions but had quite a few good tight window throws. Decent mobility and pocket presence/movement. Had a few nice off platform throws. Did a decent job of keeping his eyes downfield instead of just taking off. Overall he appears to have some definite tools to work with (especially for a late rnd prospect) I think calling him a poor mans JA is ok. That’s not a bad thing at all. Gotta find out why the transfer from Arkansas. 

Interesting 

On 1/19/2022 at 12:01 PM, big_palooka said:

Feel like you're a little low on him. He's more diet-Joe Burrow to me. Plays with a similar chip on his shoulder. Doesn't play scared. Nothing elite in his skill set, but has what he needs like Burrow. 

A lot of QBs compare to Carr (Burrow included) from arm, accuracy and athletic profile. Where they will separate is the mental side of it. Burrow and Carr are similar,  but Burrow plays with a calm confidence Carr doesn't have.

If I can get a 23 year old Derek Carr with more edge, give me that all day bottom of round 1. 

Nah if we're drafting a qb, I want them to have elite mobility. They need to offer something entirely different IMO. Willis might fulfill that but he's a 2nd rounder to me. Not ready yet.

4 minutes ago, SBXISBXVSBXVIII said:

After watching Allen and Mahomes last night, what would you guys give up to get Watson in order to have a QB who can compete with these two monsters?

Depends on how much certainty there was around his pending legal issues. If there was a low degree of certainty I would offer up a 1st rounder, trade Carr elsewhere, and keep Mariota as a bridge to Watson. 

If there was a high degree of certainty then I’d gladly offer up Derek Carr + 2022 1st Rounder + 2023 1st Rounder. Factoring in Carr’s approximate value that’s 3 1st rounders and a 2nd rounder. That’s how important a top 5 QB is. 

10 minutes ago, SBXISBXVSBXVIII said:

After watching Allen and Mahomes last night, what would you guys give up to get Watson in order to have a QB who can compete with these two monsters?

depends on if he is getting suspended or not, also are we in position to bring in a QB like Watson and his legal issues? I personally love Watson and thought he should be the #1 pick his year, but idk if were the team to make a move. It also seems like the Texans wont be giving him away, theyve dug their heels in. If we could get him for DC and a 1st, id do it not sure if that is enough though. 

22 minutes ago, Geezy said:

depends on if he is getting suspended or not, also are we in position to bring in a QB like Watson and his legal issues? I personally love Watson and thought he should be the #1 pick his year, but idk if were the team to make a move. It also seems like the Texans wont be giving him away, theyve dug their heels in. If we could get him for DC and a 1st, id do it not sure if that is enough though. 

I would be ok with something like this, maybe even an extra 1st next year. Only because his off-field issues will only effect games played in the next year he plays, where as we'd have him for the next 5-7 years. The long term payoff would be worth it. I don't know if he is as elite a thrower as Mahomes or Allen though. But his ceiling and playmaking is much higher than Carr's