> 2021 Draft Prospect Thread <

Kiltman

2 hours ago, EagleBlueDon said:

Good bc that's the only place we seem to be willing to draft them. Though it might be a new regime, doubtful though. I need to start grinding tape on these guys. I genuinely enjoy doing so. I'll be focusing on CB, S, WR, LB initially until we have more info on who we may be interested in.

I'd focus on DE too. We definitely probably take one in the first 3 rounds and maybe even round 1., especially if Roseman is still here. 

Not saying we don't need a CB or WR. Our talent on the outside on offense and defense is lacking obviously, but we know how much Roseman values the trenches. Look at his first round picks like Fletcher Cox, Lane Johnson, Derek Barnett, Andre Dillard, Marcus Smith, Danny Watkins, and Brandon Graham. The only non-QB he's taken in the first round was.... Wentz.

I know fans want a WR, but I would completely understand going DE. Brandon Graham is having a very good season at 32 years old which is impressive, but you gotta figure he's gonna decline soon. It may not come next year, but its coming. We picked up Barnett's 5th year option, but we can still get off it before the new league year if we want. Maybe we could trade him? I don't know. Think he's looked better this year, but it's not a guarantee he's here long term. Josh Sweat hasn't got as many snaps as I'd like, but when he has played he's looked good rushing the passer and improved his run defense, albeit it still not being as good as Barnett and definitely not as good as Graham who is a beast there.

The round 1 guys to focus on right now would be Paye, Rousseau, and possibly his teammate Phillips. The latter seems to be finally living up to his recruiting billing. He was the #1 overall prospect coming out of HS ahead of defensive guys like Marvin Wilson (#6), Chase Young (#7), Jeff Okudah (#8), Dylan Moses (#13),  and Shaun Wade (#15). I'm pretty sure he would've broke out earlier if he didn't chose to go to UCLA and went to a  BIG 10, SEC, or ACC school instead.

But, yeah... with the season almost ending I need to grind some more tape as well.

I haven't watched college as much this season as past years. I'm excited for the possibility of a high pick to get one of the better receivers or defensive prospects.

I'm kind of souring on spending a 1st on a WR again if the regime is not overhauled. Spending a 2nd, 1st and 1st on WR in 3 years is really never a good thing. Now I know, logically speaking, past draft outcomes should have no influence on future drafts in terms of avoiding certain positions. JJAW was a bust, Reagor is probably not a #1, but that has 0 to do with Chase (although implies poor WR development?). However, a team as bad as us should probably prioritize higher value positions at this point right? Trenches are boring but we might bottom out next year, would be nice to have a head start with rebuilding our rotting DL/OL, or grabbing a DB (again, wouldn't exactly trust a DB w/ our current). Chase or Smith would certainly be most exciting picks.

1 minute ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

I'm kind of souring on spending a 1st on a WR again if the regime is not overhauled. Spending a 2nd, 1st and 1st on WR in 3 years is really never a good thing. Now I know, logically speaking, past draft outcomes should have no influence on future drafts in terms of avoiding certain positions. JJAW was a bust, Reagor is probably not a #1, but that has 0 to do with Chase (although implies poor WR development?). However, a team as bad as us should probably prioritize higher value positions at this point right? Trenches are boring but we might bottom out next year, would be nice to have a head start with rebuilding our rotting DL/OL, or grabbing a DB (again, wouldn't exactly trust a DB w/ our current). Chase or Smith would certainly be most exciting picks.

If we are just going on positions alone, corner is absolutely a bigger need to fill. A terrible decision to go into the year with like 1.5 outside corners. Doing it next year with an older more beat up slay doesn’t seem like a great idea.

Once you actually insert the players things change a bit. One of the biggest things is we lack true star talent. Players who will help push the team forward. Taking the Barnett’s of the world again isn’t going to help us. Picking top ten need to just take the best player, they will be better than what we have any every position.

Chase/Smith, Reagor, Fulgham, Ward and a handful of guys to fight for spot 5 & 6 is a pretty damn solid group for either Wentz and his new coach, Or whatever the situation might be next year and the year after that. If we are drafting a QB rd1 in 2022 they’ll have Reagor and Chase/Smith for 3 years. Along with probably Goedert and Miles (for at least 2022). Actually help one of these guys at the start of his career for once.

1 minute ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

Yeah, I'm not as high on drafting a receiver as others on here are, especially if we are in the top 10. 

Don't get me wrong. I like guys like Chase, Smith, and Waddle. Think the first two might be a little overrated at this point. Still worthy of top 15 selections, especially Chase. Waddle is more polished than Reagor coming out for sure, but similar archetype. We probably need a bit more size to say the least. Fulgham (ERFA) will be our only bigger receiver next year and he's more of a back-up than a guy we want starting.

It definitely wouldn't be a pick I'd hate. We are starved for good receivers, but not sure it would be the best use of resources. If we move on from Barnett, then a DE would definitely be a more valuable pick. If we can land one of the top 2 corners in Surtain or Farley that would be more valuable too. I like Slay, but we could really use an athletic bigger #1 type corner like them to go against guys like Adams and Metcalf who Slay struggled with. I think a new defensive coordinator could utilize him better. Hate how far off the LOS he's often playing. But, he will be 30 years old next season and does rely on his athleticism. He's signed for the next 3 years, but who knows if he's here more than 2 of those 3 as he'll be 32 years old for that last season and could be declining. We'll also get back 17.5 million in cap savings if we release him that offseason which could be money best spent elsewhere.

Position value aside we just need to hit on this first round pick.

It's so critical for the rebuild process. We can't waste another first rounder, especially a high one like we will probably have.

9 minutes ago, Kiltman said:

If we are just going on positions alone, corner is absolutely a bigger need to fill. A terrible decision to go into the year with like 1.5 outside corners. Doing it next year with an older more beat up slay doesn’t seem like a great idea.

Yep... our other corners aren't worth a damn. I think Slay has played pretty well this year, but has struggled at times mainly with bigger athletic receivers. Those just aren't great match-ups for him, especially at the catch point. Adams gave him problems and Metcalf really ate his lunch and dinner. They both are likely top 5 receivers on top of being bad match-ups, so I won't knock him too much for it, but we definitely could use a bigger corner that can match up against those guys, so we don't need Slay to shadow them like he has this year.

The great thing is we could have a shot at two really athletic bigger corners coming in at 6'2" w/ Surtain and Farley.

It's gonna be hard to pass up on one of them if they are available.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

Yep... our other corners aren't worth a damn. I think Slay has played pretty well this year, but has struggled at times mainly with bigger athletic receivers. Those just aren't great match-ups for him, especially at the catch point. Adams gave him problems and Metcalf really ate his lunch and dinner. They both are likely top 5 receivers on top of being bad match-ups, so I won't knock him too much for it, but we definitely could use a bigger corner that can match up against those guys, so we don't need Slay to shadow them like he has this year.

The great thing is we could have a shot at two really athletic bigger corners coming in at 6'2" w/ Surtain and Farley.

It's gonna be hard to pass up on one of them if they are available.

He was really good the first 4 games and then meh since. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EagleBlueDon said:

Man, trying to pick what position we should go in the 1st round is difficult.

Throw a dart...chances are we got a better player than what we have.
It's tough to separate the mind (corner) from the heart (F it...lets load up and get one of these WRs or just finally get a LB in Micah)

I'm good with whatever for now, I'm sure I'll have harsh opinions though next month when Hurts has taken us to the mid teens and us losing to the Skins in week 17 for the division.

• Like 1

On 12/17/2020 at 1:57 PM, EagleBlueDon said:

Man, trying to pick what position we should go in the 1st round is difficult.

If they stay in that 5-10 range Chase, Surtain or Farley. After that it becomes complex. 

despite all their holes to me CB and a true#1 wr and the team’s biggest needs 

54 minutes ago, EaglesPeteC said:

If they stay in that 5-10 range Chase, Surtain or Farley. After that it becomes complex. 

despite all their holes to me CB and a true#1 wr and the team’s biggest needs 

I do wonder if we will have to make selections to fit whatever the new coach wants to do.

• Kiltman changed the title to > 2021 Draft Prospect Thread <