2021 Draft Thread

Abe56

1 hour ago, KingOfNewYork said:

If there was one position on each side of the ball you would be okay with going into next season with besides DT and OT which two would you choose? Assuming we bring back key free agents.

I’ll play along. On O, TE. On D, MLB. 

21 minutes ago, xrade said:

The mistake is considering Pitts as a TE. He is an offensive weapon.  He is the only “TE” that can really be considered so in round 1.

The real question is will we feature a TE like San Fran did with Kittle?  If so, Pitts is the best option this year.  RB can be found beyond round 1, like every year.  With all that said, Pitts will not last until 23 and if we certainly would not select him at 2.  Trade down would really be the only option.

I think smart coaches scheme to there strengths and weapons. Kittle was a strength so they used him. I don’t think we try and feature a TE just bc they did. I think we will feature to what our strengths are. If we get a legit outside WR like AR15 for example. Then WR us our strength with AR15, Mims and Crowder. So we will feature them. You have to have a running game to play balanced. What we have at RB now won’t work. We need more legit talent there

43 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I think smart coaches scheme to there strengths and weapons. Kittle was a strength so they used him. I don’t think we try and feature a TE just bc they did. I think we will feature to what our strengths are

I agree about the smart coach and scheme thing. Unfortunately, we have not had too many coaches do that. I hope our new coaches will.

I find it hard to believe a 5th round TE was selected to be featured. I think they coached and schemed to that end. My point about Pitts is that he will join a team that will use him a lot. If he joined the Jets, LaFleur would find a way to get him to that Kelce or Waller level of production. Who would not want that?  This is assuming we have a QB. I have heard it said that a good TE can be a young QB’s best friend. We saw glimpses of that with Sam and Herndon 2 years ago. Unfortunately gase destroyed that. 

32 minutes ago, xrade said:

I agree about the smart coach and scheme thing. Unfortunately, we have not had too many coaches do that. I hope our new coaches will.

I find it hard to believe a 5th round TE was selected to be featured. I think they coached and schemed to that end. My point about Pitts is that he will join a team that will use him a lot. If he joined the Jets, LaFleur would find a way to get him to that Kelce or Waller level of production. Who would not want that?  This is assuming we have a QB. I have heard it said that a good TE can be a young QB’s best friend. We saw glimpses of that with Sam and Herndon 2 years ago. Unfortunately gase destroyed that. 

We’re in no mans land for Pitts. Too early for him at 2 and he’ll be gone by 23. So not worth debating.

6 hours ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

Haven't watched him yet but I will now. Look at Elijah Mitchell and Kenneth Gainwell too. Both are great ZBS fits with pass catching ability.

9 hours ago, jetjuice said:

This WR class is ridiculously deep.

Ehhhh. I don't agree with that. There's talent in the 1st few rounds. But after that its guys fighting for a roster spot. The top talent is a group that can compete with the best of classes (Smith and Chase). Then there's a good 5 or so guys after that I really like. Then for me there s a big drop off. 

WR class isn't deep enough for Jets to choose.  A lot of them are considered undersized for what Jets have looked for as an upgrade.    Maybe compromise somewhere there.

Unfortunately, this class is truly deep for Andy Reid. He loves open space speed. 

Shanahan style demands  more physical body for breaking tackles.   Some of WR class are big but not particularly fast.

I know the feeling about after watching college plays we want those guys but not all of them will work out in Shanahan offense because LaFleur isn't going to tweak the offense. LaFleur has worked with Shanahan for many years and next year will be his first time as a sole OC.

I think we can find a difference maker in the first 3 rounds at WR. Nico Collins, Tylan Wallace, Sage Surrant, Dyami Brown, Seth Williams, Amari Rodgers, Cornell Powell, Amon-Ra St.Brown, and Elijah Moore are all guys outside round 1 who I think can be difference makers in some capacity at the next level

• Like 1

Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah Is definitely a guy I can see us being interested in, athletic, can Blitz, can cover. With how important LB play is in Saleh/Ulbrich scheme he seems like he could slide in right away at WILL and be a difference maker

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dr.O said:

Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah Is definitely a guy I can see us being interested in, athletic, can Blitz, can cover. With how important LB play is in Saleh/Ulbrich scheme he seems like he could slide in right away at WILL and be a difference maker

Big time. I have wrestled between him and Jabril Cox.   JOK is hard to ignore.   He is listed as 212 but he looked like muscular 230.  If lighter, I have no problem with him being SS for us. Just want his skills on the field for us.

1 hour ago, Dr.O said:

I think we can find a difference maker in the first 3 rounds at WR. Nico Collins, Tylan Wallace, Sage Surrant, Dyami Brown, Seth Williams, Amari Rodgers, Cornell Powell, Amon-Ra St.Brown, and Elijah Moore are all guys outside round 1 who I think can be difference makers in some capacity at the next level

Rodgers is short in height but solid 210.  Williams had headbutt with Bo Nix so not sure if it is his natural character or his out of turn emotion.

Collins reportedly runs slow.  We will see.

UAB's Austin Watkins Jr may be best fit for Jets.  Despite down year, he is said to be dangerous X player. He is here in Mobile, I believe.

5 hours ago, JetsandI said:

Big time. I have wrestled between him and Jabril Cox.   JOK is hard to ignore.   He is listed as 212 but he looked like muscular 230.  If lighter, I have no problem with him being SS for us. Just want his skills on the field for us.

JOK and Cox are natural fits for what we want to do. I think Cox could be had in round 2, possibly round 3 because of his age. 

35 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

JOK and Cox are natural fits for what we want to do. I think Cox could be had in round 2, possibly round 3 because of his age. 

Yeah.. Cox is in his gears to try to get 1st round consideration.   I think he will end up in high 2nd round.

I heard that Micah Parson was a bully in hazing/harassment part.  If true, JOK may be first LB off the board.  Still not sure where he will end up.

At 6’2” and 216 lbs. isn’t JOK a bit light in the *** to play OLB in the NFL? And the idea of moving him to SS would really aggravate me if draft him in the first three rounds. We don’t need a SS and certainly not one in the top 96 picks.