2021 Draft Thread

Abe56

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

The history of these highly ranked TEs recently hasn't been good. I find it rather funny that so many are against a 1st round RB but are pro 1st round TE. 

I'm against TE and RB in the first round. There are too many bust and a good OL can make a good RB. Zeke is a classic example. He had one of the best OL and killed it. Then his OL goes down and he is average at best and now is getting older. 

1 hour ago, jetfuel34 said:

I'm against TE and RB in the first round. There are too many bust and a good OL can make a good RB. Zeke is a classic example. He had one of the best OL and killed it. Then his OL goes down and he is average at best and now is getting older. 

Zeke had his worst year this year and still had 979 rushing yards, another 338 in the air and 8 combine TDs, without his starting QB and majority of the o-line. Ask yourself this, when’s the last time a Jets RB has EVER come close to that kind of production?

The more I look into it, the more I’m OK with taking a RB or TE early.  The best players at their respective positions are more often then not taken early.  CMC, Zeke, Jacobs, etc. Gronk

31 minutes ago, Heymangold said:

Zeke had his worst year this year and still had 979 rushing yards, another 338 in the air and 8 combine TDs, without his starting QB and majority of the o-line. Ask yourself this, when’s the last time a Jets RB has EVER come close to that kind of production?

The more I look into it, the more I’m OK with taking a RB or TE early.  The best players at their respective positions are more often then not taken early.  CMC, Zeke, Jacobs, etc. Gronk

LOL he got those stats by playing in the worse divison in the last 10 years or lomger. The Giants, eagles and skins where all trash teams. I just don't see a RB or TE to draft in the first especailly this year. I'm not buying into the Pitt thing either. I remember OJ Howard was the next best TE. Then before all this it was Kellen Winslow jr. 

Miles Sanders is believed to be only taken in high selection (2nd round) in all organization JD had involved with.

LaFleur had worked with Shanahan and their system showed that taking RB that high isn't necessary.

I have been trying to look beyond the high echelon of RB class and it won't be easy to nail. Taking one from that echelon may be best plan for Jets.

14 minutes ago, JetsandI said:

Oh boo!   Devonta Smith chickened out at weight/measurement.  boo.

hands and arm length look solid, though.

This is not a bad ove by him. i bet he is trying to put on weight and go from 170 to say 180 or 185. I think he will come in at around 6' tall anyways. I think the weight is more important to him. 

47 minutes ago, JetsandI said:

Miles Sanders is believed to be only taken in high selection (2nd round) in all organization JD had involved with.

LaFleur had worked with Shanahan and their system showed that taking RB that high isn't necessary.

I have been trying to look beyond the high echelon of RB class and it won't be easy to nail. Taking one from that echelon may be best plan for Jets.

I think what a GM or system has done has to be taken into consideration. But if we can’t get a legit RB in FA... then we have to draft one with one of our 1st few picks after  the 2nd overall. Perine and Ty just aren’t good enough

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

I think what a GM or system has done has to be taken into consideration. But if we can’t get a legit RB in FA... then we have to draft one with one of our 1st few picks after  the 2nd overall. Perine and Ty just aren’t good enough

You know I do not want to draft a RB this year in the first two rounds. Maybe get a top back in a year or two after other positions are established. But I have to ask, why are you so down on Johnson?  He produced when asked to. I don’t care about his draft pedigree or his status prior to last year. What he did with a mediocre, at best, OL under gase was pretty good. Could we stand to upgrade? Sure. But too many other other positions need fixing first.

We can address RB this year in the third or later. I need not tell you that there are just as many success stories drafted in round 3 or later as there are in the first 2 rounds. Etienne, IMO, will be another Sony Michel. Harris will have success I believe but we can get a Harris in 2022 or 2023. There is always one there. 

26 minutes ago, xrade said:

You know I do not want to draft a RB this year in the first two rounds. Maybe get a top back in a year or two after other positions are established. But I have to ask, why are you so down on Johnson?  He produced when asked to. I don’t care about his draft pedigree or his status prior to last year. What he did with a mediocre, at best, OL under gase was pretty good. Could we stand to upgrade? Sure. But too many other other positions need fixing first.

We can address RB this year in the third or later. I need not tell you that there are just as many success stories drafted in round 3 or later as there are in the first 2 rounds. Etienne, IMO, will be another Sony Michel. Harris will have success I believe but we can get a Harris in 2022 or 2023. There is always one there. 

Our OL actually is pretty decent at run blocking. If they have a weakness its pass protection. So it wasn't like he was running behind this awful OL. He had 1 good game against the Rams. Which that whole game I cant figure out still. I think some are high on him just from that 1 game. But for the rest of the season he didn't do much. He's a below average back. Would I be totally happy with him as a rotational 3rd guy? Absolutely. But to think he can be a legit weapon getting 15 touches a game for me, is just wrong. Same goes for Perine. He did nothing in his time to think he can get that amount of touches. The backfield needs an upgrade. And I'm not saying that means they 100% have to get a star in FA or use a top 34 pick on a guy. It's just that we need more.

Yes I prefer that 34th pick to grab a guy. I think that's a perfect spot to grab a RB this draft.

10 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

The history of these highly ranked TEs recently hasn't been good. I find it rather funny that so many are against a 1st round RB but are pro 1st round TE. 

The mistake is considering Pitts as a TE. He is an offensive weapon.  He is the only “TE” that can really be considered so in round 1.

The real question is will we feature a TE like San Fran did with Kittle?  If so, Pitts is the best option this year.  RB can be found beyond round 1, like every year.  With all that said, Pitts will not last until 23 and if we certainly would not select him at 2.  Trade down would really be the only option.