2021 Draft Thread

Abe56

1 hour ago, JetsandI said:

Robinson lacks speed so Jets may need to draft one.   Mims and Berrios aren't enough.

This is true but what Robinson lacks in speed he makes up for with good route running and toughness. There is a reason he consistently gets 1000+ yards with below average QB’s throwing to him. The only reason he is not mentioned with the games elites is because he has always been on crappy teams. He can be depended upon. If we wind up not getting Watson he would be great for Sam or a rookie. If we do get Watson, he will be the top WR on this team simply because he is a QB’s best friend. 

43 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

Mims is 4.3 and I honestly think we bring back Perriman, where else he gonna go in this market.

Somewhere in Texas.

10 minutes ago, xrade said:

This is true but what Robinson lacks in speed he makes up for with good route running and toughness. There is a reason he consistently gets 1000+ yards with below average QB’s throwing to him. The only reason he is not mentioned with the games elites is because he has always been on crappy teams. He can be depended upon. If we wind up not getting Watson he would be great for Sam or a rookie. If we do get Watson, he will be the top WR on this team simply because he is a QB’s best friend. 

Robinson is 1st down machine.  I didn't look down at Robinson, mind you.

13 minutes ago, JetsandI said:

Jeff does run fast.

Are we going to skip WR due to Berrios, Smith or/and Perriman?   All of them are short term goals.

No.  We’d have Robinson and Mims with Crowder in the slot.  Berrios proved he is a viable slot option as well.  Perriman would be a great WR4. Guys like V. Smith, J. Smith, Cager provide good depth.  If you want to grab a WR in the draft that’s good, maybe with a 5th?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JetsandI said:

Somewhere in Texas.

Robinson is 1st down machine.  I didn't look down at Robinson, mind you.

I know you didn’t.  There just seems to be a love affair with speed being a WR’s best attribute. The greatest WR to ever play was a 4.6 guy.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, xrade said:

I know you didn’t.  There just seems to be a love affair with speed being a WR’s best attribute. The greatest WR to ever play was a 4.6 guy.

I think you need a good mix at the WR position. Not all WRs need to have every attribute (because those guys are $$$$), but having a good mix at the position is important. I think we had a good mix in 2020 to be honest (slot guy, all-around young stud guy, speed guy), so all we really need to do is upgrade rather than change the WR philosophy imo.

20 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

It's about separation, hands and catch in traffic. There's several ways to do these things. Speed, Size, Great hands, Catch in traffic ability, body control. These are all things that make a WR. Not just speed. 

I agree with all of that, but having one guy who is a major threat to take it to the house every snap changes the way defenses play. It's like a strong-armed QB versus a noodle-armed QB. Defenses are forced to respect the deep threat even if he never gets the ball. Throw it down the field to him a few times, and things open up all over the field. 

Didn't Jerry Rice always play with a deep threat opposite him? 

21 minutes ago, jetjuice said:

You guys still liking Patrick Jones II? He hasn't done anything to help his stock this Senior Bowl. 

I still like him, he’s never been the twitchy type of edge rusher, he’s much more of a power based disruptive guy

35 minutes ago, jetjuice said:

You guys still liking Patrick Jones II? He hasn't done anything to help his stock this Senior Bowl. 

Good I'll take him Day 3.  He was never explosive but he has a good array of moves.  He can be more like Shaun Ellis than John Abraham.  Then grab Patrick Johnson from Tulane.

21 hours ago, jetjuice said:

Had a bad week from what I read. Probably is a mid 2nd rounder now. Maybe if we trade Darnold we can look at him for the pick we'd maybe get for him.