2021 Draft Thread

Abe56

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

You have no clue who we’d draft. We could very well draft Wilson and then go CB and Edge the next 2 picks. Which in turn doesn’t help out anything on offense. Putting a rookie QB in no different scenario than Darnold except better coaching. Which for all we know might be all Darnold needs. You yourself have said you don’t like an early drafted RB (I believe). So who you grabbing at 23 and 34? Sure an OLineman would be great. But let’s even say at best we resign Elf and sign a guy like Thuney or Scherff (might not happen). Is that rookie starting for us even at OG? Maybe not. Probably would battle Elf for a starting spot. Who you drafting at 34? A WR? That’d be great. But is that guy starting for us opposite Mims? Or is a cheap vet resigned like Perriman starting over him. Meaning the supporting cast isn’t big time upgraded starter wise. 

I also think it’d be very optimistic to think we’d use 2, 23 and 34 all on offense. 

So funny how in your mind we keep Darnold and surround him with talent to see if he's the guy but we don't do that for the new QB.  Your right I don't know who we'll draft but JD is a smart man you really think he's going to possibly draft a QB and then not do everything he can to make him look good?  Everything would be the same if we kept Sam except not having number 2 which we could just draft a defensive guy with that pick anyway like you said.

We have 80M to spend in FA why is it so hard to believe we won't grab say maybe Corey Davis or Golliday add draft a guy at 34 too?  We can still grab Thuney too and have so much money left.  Maybe we get a late 1st for Sam and can grab a CB, WR, RT at with those picks all premium positions I might add.  We can grab a pass rusher in FA like Hendrickson or Lawson and be set because we have that much cap space.

You were the on board with Watson saying that if we trade for him we'd still have ammo to help the roster.  No idea why minus #2 we can't build around a young QB.  If you think he's going to improve the offense around Sam to see what he is then there is no reason he wouldn't do the same for his QB at 2.  It makes no sense.  If he doesn't build the offense then Sam, Watson, Wilson whoever aren't going to be successful.  

Edited by Rockice_8
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

So funny how in your mind we keep Darnold and surround him with talent to see if he's the guy but we don't do that for the new QB.  Your right I don't know who we'll draft but JD is a smart man you really think he's going to possibly draft a QB and then not do everything he can to make him look good?  Everything would be the same if we kept Sam except not having number 2 which we could just draft a defensive guy with that pick anyway like you said.

We have 80M to spend in FA why is it so hard to believe we won't grab say maybe Corey Davis or Golliday add draft a guy at 34 too?  We can still grab Thuney too and have so much money left.  Maybe we get a late 1st for Sam and can grab a CB, WR, RT at with those picks all premium positions I might add.  We can grab a pass rusher in FA like Hendrickson or Lawson and be set because we have that much cap space.

You were the on board with Watson saying that if we trade for him we'd still have ammo to help the roster.  No idea why minus #2 we can't build around a young QB.  If you think he's going to improve the offense around Sam to see what he is then there is no reason he wouldn't do the same for his QB at 2.  It makes no sense.  If he doesn't build the offense then Sam, Watson, Wilson whoever aren't going to be successful.  

The problem with this is that NO FA really wants to come here because we have nothing to offer but money. When you over pay for guys they tend to get lazy and don't perform. I think the Thuney thing is a pipe dream. He will resign with the Pats or move to a team that has a better team. I just don't see the Jets getting big time FA this year untl the Jets prove they can compete for a playoff spot. We will spend money but it will be lower level FA and guys and second level guys. 

7 minutes ago, jetfuel34 said:

The problem with this is that NO FA really wants to come here because we have nothing to offer but money. When you over pay for guys they tend to get lazy and don't perform. I think the Thuney thing is a pipe dream. He will resign with the Pats or move to a team that has a better team. I just don't see the Jets getting big time FA this year untl the Jets prove they can compete for a playoff spot. We will spend money but it will be lower level FA and guys and second level guys. 

Half the league is strapped for cap.  We will be able to offer money to guys and we have a well respected HC.  I think we will be just as good a FA destination as many of the big players.  In the past I may have agreed with you but this year is different.  

We don't just have to sign stats though.  There will be good football players that can help the team improve that we can sign.  I do think we'll get at least 1 or 2 big names though.  We have too much money not to.

Edited by Rockice_8

5 minutes ago, jetfuel34 said:

Based on what insiders have been saying that's simply not true. JD and Saleh are both well respected around the league. There have been multiple reports saying that the Saleh hire drastically increases our chances of landing desirable free agents. Add that to the unorthodox cap sitauation this year and us being among the few teams with a lot of money and we are sitting in a great spot. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, jetfuel34 said:

The problem with this is that NO FA really wants to come here because we have nothing to offer but money

Until this offseason is complete, that is an unfounded statement. With our new regime, let’s see who does not come here that we offer a contract to then make that assessment.

4 hours ago, Rockice_8 said:

So with that 2nd pick adding a guy like Smith doesn’t help more than drafting a QB? Got it

10 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

So with that 2nd pick adding a guy like Smith doesn’t help more than drafting a QB? Got it

Not if the QB can't get him the ball. Sam didn't see open receivers down field time and time again. I'd love for Sam to turn it around, but it's highly unlikely. A starting QB has never had the stats he had and went on to become a top 10 QB in the league ever, it has never happened. Even if the new coaching staff fixes some of his bad habits and he regains his confidence, it's still incredibly unlikely he becomes a top 10 QB. To add to that,  he will be due a huge pay increase soon, I'm much more comfortable taking a shot on a new, very talented QB prospect at #2.

Edited by mattmanz91

52 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Again how do you know we're drafting Smith.  JD doesn't seem like a WR at 2 kind of guy actually.  You literally just made a whole post about JD possibly going defense then plug Smith in for the Jets at 2 like it was a given. 

And no it doesn't help more if your QB sucks which currently the Jets QB does.  If you think a good WR has the same impact as a good QB then there might be the disconnect.  No Smith is not a lock to be great either.

If people want to go ahead and load up to mask Sam's issues go for it.  I'm not falling for that.  If we do load up on weapons and Sam has a decent year we'll probably pay him like LA did Goff when he was in the perfect situation and get burned.

4 hours ago, Rockice_8 said:

Again how do you know we're drafting Smith.  JD doesn't seem like a WR at 2 kind of guy actually.  You literally just made a whole post about JD possibly going defense then plug Smith in for the Jets at 2 like it was a given. 

And no it doesn't help more if your QB sucks which currently the Jets QB does.  If you think a good WR has the same impact as a good QB then there might be the disconnect.  No Smith is not a lock to be great either.

If people want to go ahead and load up to mask Sam's issues go for it.  I'm not falling for that.  If we do load up on weapons and Sam has a decent year we'll probably pay him like LA did Goff when he was in the perfect situation and get burned.

Who’s a defensive guy that we need that could go at 2? I was talking about 23 and past that pick

lets not talk about 2 and 23 like they’re the same. I think it’s safe to say that there’s no crazy talented defensive players worth drafting at 2 this year. So be realistic.

If you want to defend your side at this stage... just say you love Wilson and want him regardless. That seems to be your stance. Which ok to have that opinion. But to talk to people who think Darnold is a legit option for us like they’re idiotic is just single minded. 

43 minutes ago, Dr.O said:

Looking back at Darnold I feel like a ton of people fell in love with his ability to play hero ball back in college and used that to overlook his turnover problem in his last year.

100%. Listen that article was a little far fetched because in no way would we take Wilson over Lawrence nor would any sane person, but Wilson is absolutely a much more polished passer than Darnold coming out. Darnold seems like hes a very good athlete, the kind of kid who is probably good at everything, but he lacks a lot of the intangibles to ever be a top starting QB in this league. I just cant do another year of him checking down, missing reads, wide open receivers and then making a phenomenal play in garbage time and hearing people be like "see this is what hes capable of!" as we lose 24-7. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dr.O said:

Looking back at Darnold I feel like a ton of people fell in love with his ability to play hero ball back in college and used that to overlook his turnover problem in his last year.

He was Brett Favre without the cannon or accuracy. The hope was pro coaching would help him but it hasn’t. Now he’s got to overcome the mental battle.

Think about it this way, every time Darnold throws a pass I think it’s getting picked off. That’s how bad it’s been.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

He was Brett Favre without the cannon or accuracy. The hope was pro coaching would help him but it hasn’t. Now he’s got to overcome the mental battle.

Think about it this way, every time Darnold throws a pass I think it’s getting picked off. That’s how bad it’s been.

I always felt that way about Sanchez. It seemed every time we were marching down the field to tie or win the game, he would throw an int. In fact, Sam is playing more and more like Sanchez. We just need the face plant into someone’s ***.