2021 Draft Thread

Abe56

11 minutes ago, mattmanz91 said:

How is rejecting surgery and pushing through the pain of a torn labrum so he can continue practicing and playing football being a baby? Also playing through a torn labrum in your throwing shoulder is an injury that would directly affect your play as a QB more than almost any other QB injury, so it could definitely be one of the major reasons for the drastic leap on production.

I think it's much more risky to think Darnold can become a top 10 QB even with WR and OL talent around him than it is to draft Wilson and develop him into a top 10 QB.

Darnold has been hurt a lot too in his NFL career. Does he get a pass on this too. Darnold had mono which just kills your energy and shoulder problems too. 

Look how good quitting on Brees did for the Chargers.

A new regime did for Alex Smith.

To think Darnold is done at 23 when we should know (more so than anyone) how he was pissing into the wind with what the GM and coaching staff gave him for 3 years IMO is laughable.

You have the chance to get Watson. By all means see the price. But to anoint and think Wilson is who will turn this thing around for us, is crazy IMO. 

1 minute ago, Bobby816 said:

Look how good quitting on Brees did for the Chargers.

A new regime did for Alex Smith.

To think Darnold is done at 23 when we should know (more so than anyone) how he was pissing into the wind with what the GM and coaching staff gave him for 3 years IMO is laughable.

You have the chance to get Watson. By all means see the price. But to anoint and think Wilson is who will turn this thing around for us, is crazy IMO. 

No one is anointing him the Savior, people are saying he has a chance to be a great QB in the future(which he does). That’s the thing do you think a New HC and a GM who didn’t draft him wants to latch their futures on to a going on Year 4 QB who’s been wildly inconsistent at this level. Say what you want about him but the offense Under Gase looked much much better with Flacco at the Helm than Darnold which has to be taken under consideration 

1 minute ago, Dr.O said:

No one is anointing him the Savior, people are saying he has a chance to be a great QB in the future(which he does). That’s the thing do you think a New HC and a GM who didn’t draft him wants to latch their futures on to a going on Year 4 QB who’s been wildly inconsistent at this level. Say what you want about him but the offense Under Gase looked much much better with Flacco at the Helm than Darnold which has to be taken under consideration 

What has Darnold had good in his career that has been consistent through 3 years? Crowder is the closest thing. Everything else has been God awful or a revolving door for him. 

I just wish there was the Nick Bosa/Chase Young style edge rusher worthy of the #2 pick. Unfortunately we are out of luck this year.

That’s why I prefer going qb at #2 because there is no other player really worth taking at #2 No point taking Sewell as we will have issues moving forward with he and Becton wanting LT money. 

Trade down would be nice and get Smith/Chase but that’s no easy feet as we’ve never really traded back so I’d be shocked if we did. 

Going either Wilson or Fields at #2 seems the more analytical way to go. Trade Sam for a 2nd if possible and start the whole thing again.  

Edited by xenajets

1 hour ago, jetfuel34 said:

Darnold has been hurt a lot too in his NFL career. Does he get a pass on this too. Darnold had mono which just kills your energy and shoulder problems too. 

And after mono he started playing better which I agreed with. Did sam play through a torn labrum?

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, xenajets said:

I just wish there was the Nick Bosa/Chase Young style edge rusher worthy of the #2 pick. Unfortunately we are out of luck this year.

That’s why I prefer going qb at #2 because there is no other player really worth taking at #2 No point taking Sewell as we will have issues moving forward with he and Becton wanting LT money. 

Trade down would be nice and get Smith/Chase but that’s no easy feet as we’ve never really traded back so I’d be shocked if we did. 

Going either Wilson or Fields at #2 seems the more analytical way to go. Trade Sam for a 2nd if possible and start the whole thing again.  

There are endless reasons why going with a QB at two makes sense.  It's really a no brainier especially if we can land a late first for Sam.  

• Like 2

I’m pro going QB at 2. Wilson in particular.

If we’re able to trade back, that’s fine also. This to me pushes back the QB decision. Buys us another year to assess Darnold. Maybe we find lightning in a bottle.

The worse thing we can do is stay at 2 and take a non-QB. There’s no non-QB worth that pick in this draft. And If we get additional 2022 draft picks, It also hedges the likely possibility that Darnold continues to suck. 

34 minutes ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

I think Wilson fits this offense to a T buttttt Jamarr Chase would be amazing to pair with Mims.

What does show on film... is Smith is a polished route runner. Chase is a stud. But I don’t think there’s much of an argument for me on who should go 1st in the group of WRs. I’d love both. But I see Smith as the more polished player.

15 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

What does show on film... is Smith is a polished route runner. Chase is a stud. But I don’t think there’s much of an argument for me on who should go 1st in the group of WRs. I’d love both. But I see Smith as the more polished player.

Not that I think we will get either one, but after watching Smith play, he is awesome. He won the Heisman. When was the last time a WR won the Heisman?  As for Chase, I did not see him play so I have no comment on him.

I will say, as I have stated before, I am not a fan of players using the Covid excuse to sit out and “train” for the NFL. The best  training takes place on the field. I question their loyalty to their teammates. I also think the sitting out thing will hurt their draft stock a little. If I had a choice, Smith all day over Chase.