2021 Draft Thread

Abe56

18 minutes ago, Jag68Sid87 said:

I'm moving down to 4, drafting either Sewell or DeVonta Smith (whichever player Miami passes on) and taking the extra second and third rounders this year. We already have two firsts next year, we don't need a third necessarily. What we need is draft capital to turn into starters at a lot of positions. 

Oh, and I am also waiting for the Jaguars' pick to be in before calling Atl to finalize the trade. If Lawrence is sitting there, the deal is off.

This scenario is with the assumption that we are taking a QB with the first pick whether it is 2 or 4. I think we all kind of agree JD will take a QB. This was proposed because of Wilson’s meteoric rise in the media making the #2 pick even more enticing. But yeah, stay at 2 until Jax picks then entertain the trade. JD loves picks and a first (or SRP and TRP) will be calling to him.  None of us know which QB JD likes best. He may be a Fields guy and getting Fields at 4 plus additional high draft capital would be a real win for him. 

2 hours ago, drew39k said:

If the Jets love a QB at 2 they cannot trade down and hope he isn't selected in between

I also agree with this. If JD loves a player at two, don’t play games, just draft him. This situation is really a thought process on gambling and the gains it brings or the safe route. It’s kind of like going all in holding two pairs and hoping another player does not have three of a kind. It took me a long, painful time to stop overestimating 2 pairs.  I hate that ******* hand. 

1 hour ago, Jag68Sid87 said:

OK, but Zach Wilson has also never played in a big game. When the spotlight is on, can he perform?

We already know Lawrence can, and to a lesser extent so can Fields. 

Yes that’s true. Both Lawrence and Fields have won big games and that’s definitely something not to discredit or not think it matters as it absolutely does. However if we go by that logic alone then really we should take Mac Jones shouldn’t we?! Big games matter but big time qbs from big time colleges have failed at the nfl level so many times. The Brady Quinn’s, Matt Leinart, VY, EJ Manuel, Jamarcus Russell the list goes on. 

1 hour ago, xrade said:

None of us know which QB JD likes best. He may be a Fields guy and getting Fields at 4 plus additional high draft capital would be a real win for him. 

I thought that. If JD likes Fields then we ‘could’ trade back to #4 but just imagine if the Dolphins then traded #3 to Carolina!! We’d be left without JD’s QB and that would just be stupid at such an important position. 

Now if he loves Lance or Jones then maybe you risk it!! I just want us to grab Wilson (or Fields) at #2 and not **** around because you just know it will end sour if we try getting cute. We are the Jets for ****s sake!! 

16 hours ago, xenajets said:

Yes that’s true. Both Lawrence and Fields have won big games and that’s definitely something not to discredit or not think it matters as it absolutely does. However if we go by that logic alone then really we should take Mac Jones shouldn’t we?! Big games matter but big time qbs from big time colleges have failed at the nfl level so many times. The Brady Quinn’s, Matt Leinart, VY, EJ Manuel, Jamarcus Russell the list goes on. 

I would have no problem if the team decided to trade down and select Mac Jones at some point. 

8 hours ago, KingOfNewYork said:

Looks like Fields and Wilson are prepping together. 

That's awesome, they're pushing each other to be great. 

To paraphrase Mike Tyson, everybody looks great until they get punched in the mouth.

Just saying.

42 minutes ago, Jag68Sid87 said:

I would have no problem if the team decided to trade down and select Mac Jones at some point. 

I wouldn’t want to personally as I just see the difference between Wilson/Fields being greater than the trade back bounty we’d receive. However if Mac finds his way to NE, SF, or Washington then I think he will have success right out the gate.  

I see were Sammy Watkins is on the FA list, I really was high on Watkins during the year he was on the draft list. He has caught several long TD passes but hasn't put up big numbers. Could he be another one trick pony like BOBBY316 would say.

Edited by doumeyer

2 minutes ago, doumeyer said:

I see were Sammy Watkins is on the FA list, I really was high on Watkins during the year he was on the draft list. He has caught several long TD passes but hasn't put up big numbers. Could he be another one trick pony like BOBBY316 would say.

Injuries are his issue. He's always injured. Guy has crazy talent. Just cant stay on the field. So he cant be relied on. So to pay him a ton is a huge risk. I'd quite frankly rather take a guy not as talented as him in FA that is at least reliable health wise. 

2 hours ago, doumeyer said:

This is who I think we land in free agency at WR.

Tier 1: I think if Godwin hits FA, he’s at the top of our list.

Tier 2: If Godwin doesn’t hit FA, I think Curtis Samuel becomes our plan B. Fits our scheme and is explosive. My guess is his price goes too high which causes JD to bow out

Tier 3: Plan C. We land Watkins for something like 2yrs $10-12M per year

However, I think we have a good chance of landing a tier 1 OL. While Thuney may go to Cincy, I think we have enough of an in on him and Linsley, that we will land one. We have coaches that Linsley will have an idea about giving his HC was Mike LaFleur.

Edited by SDotNova