2021 Draft Thread

Abe56

5 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

He wasn't a captain at BYU. That says something.,

He was not initially a captain because when captains were sleected he had not yet won the starting QB job. Once he became the full time starter his teammates took it upon themselves to remedy that and voted to make him a captain. He has been a captain ever since. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

That's the natural progression of evolution but overall those guys have paved the way for guys like Wilson same way Russell Wilson made teams comfortable with taking shorter Quarterbacks. He went 3rd round, Baker went 1st overall and Cleveland seems happy with it. 

He's not unproven, you literally have 3 years worth of film to go through, you see growth and potential. His mental make up is something we dont know about because obviously we cannot just talk to him but Douglas will do a great job in finding out that aspect.

I'm sorry, but when you invest a second overall pick for a guy to basically save this franchise, you need more than film and 3 years of college ball. Especially when his breakout season happened during a pandemic and limited/no fans. That is not his fault, of course, but we cannot screw the pooch after messing up completely in 2018. 

Timing matters, and this is terrible timing to be drafting a raw, talented QB prospect with the second overall pick for a franchise that has done nothing right for decades.

Edited by Jag68Sid87

1 minute ago, Jag68Sid87 said:

I'm sorry, but when you invest a second overall pick for a guy to basically save this franchise, you need more than film and 3 years of college ball. Especially when his breakout season happened during a pandemic and limited/no fans. That is not his fault, of course, but we cannot screw the pooch after messing up completely in 2018. 

Timing matters, and this is terrible timing to be drafting a raw, talented QB prospect with the second overall pick for a franchise that has done nothing right for decades.

What?

Joe Burrow had 1 great year of college ball and went #1, Cincinnati seems very pleased.

Kyler Murray had 1 good year of college ball and went #1, Arizona seems very pleased.

Who cares about covid or no fans. Wilson also isn't raw lol like what are you even talking about? Trey Lance is raw. Wilson is very polished with huge upside. Lawrence, Wilson, Fields and even Jones(on a trade back) would all be good options for us if we draft a young QB. 

• Like 1

Just now, KingOfNewYork said:

What?

Joe Burrow had 1 great year of college ball and went #1, Cincinnati seems very pleased.

Kyler Murray had 1 good year of college ball and went #1, Arizona seems very pleased.

Who cares about covid or no fans. Wilson also isn't raw lol like what are you even talking about? Trey Lance is raw. Wilson is very polished with huge upside. Lawrence, Wilson, Fields and even Jones(on a trade back) would all be good options for us if we draft a young QB. 

The only quarterback I want at No. 2 overall is the guy who won't be available to us because he is going first overall. 

Everybody else is a crapshoot. Might as well move down and let somebody else ride the Wilson hype train. We can't afford that ticket.

7 minutes ago, Jag68Sid87 said:

The only quarterback I want at No. 2 overall is the guy who won't be available to us because he is going first overall. 

Everybody else is a crapshoot. Might as well move down and let somebody else ride the Wilson hype train. We can't afford that ticket.

So you wont draft a guy because its a crapshoot. You wont draft Wilson because he might end up being bad. That's not how this works. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

So you wont draft a guy because its a crapshoot. You wont draft Wilson because he might end up being bad. That's not how this works. 

We are a franchise that has a history of making these types of erroneous decisions. Heck, we just went through this a mere four years ago. A lot of you throw our history out the window because we now have a new regime. But how many times have we said that before? Not even Bill Parcells could right this ship, although he certainly gave it his best shot and did as well as anybody else could ever hope to do.

We as a franchise are in absolutely no position to "go big or go home" with the second pick. We need to play it safe. We need to draft someone who is as much of a guaranteed NFLer as there can be. 

If we had thought like that in 2018, we would now have LG Quenton Nelson along the O-line (and our QB situation would be just as bad as it is now).

I am sick of the shiny new toys that break as soon as we start playing with them. 

This is what I want to see on draft day.

Jets trade down to pick 4

Jets get Atl pick 4 and pick 35 next years 1st and 3rd (Atlanta wants Wilson)

Jets trade pick 4 to Phil

Jets get pick 6 and pick 37 next years 1st and 4th (Phil wants Fields)

Jets draft Mac Jones at 6.

This would give us picks 23, 34, 35, 37 and 4 first round picks next yaer. 

You keep Sam and let him and Mac Jones fight for the starting job. 

If we stay at 6 and draft Jones I think it would look like this

1. Jags. T Law

2. Atlanta Z Wilson

3. Miami Chase

4. Phil Fields

5. Cinn Sewell

6. Jets Jones

I'm starting to see more and more drafts putting Wilson at 1. They think he fits Meyers system better and that more guys like Chris Simms who have hit a lot on the QB rankings on the last 4 years are being taken more serious. The Jags are a poor team that have made several bad decisons here and could this be like the Sam Darnold when everyone thought he was going 1. I think the needle has moved a little to Wilson being #1 pick. 

32 minutes ago, jetfuel34 said:

This is what I want to see on draft day.

Jets trade down to pick 4

Jets get Atl pick 4 and pick 35 next years 1st and 3rd (Atlanta wants Wilson)

Jets trade pick 4 to Phil

Jets get pick 6 and pick 37 next years 1st and 4th (Phil wants Fields)

Jets draft Mac Jones at 6.

This would give us picks 23, 34, 35, 37 and 4 first round picks next yaer. 

You keep Sam and let him and Mac Jones fight for the starting job. 

If we stay at 6 and draft Jones I think it would look like this

1. Jags. T Law

2. Atlanta Z Wilson

3. Miami Chase

4. Phil Fields

5. Cinn Sewell

6. Jets Jones

We’ve never traded back like ever but now we are doing it twice!! And passing on two elite prospects in Wilson and Fields to take Jones would be very risky. If we did however that would mean we deal Sam away.

The only way I want Sam on this roster is if we go all in on him and get a top offense around him. Can’t go qb #6 AND keep Sam. It will be a ducking circus again. Last thing a new HC needs. 

21 minutes ago, jetfuel34 said:

I'm starting to see more and more drafts putting Wilson at 1. They think he fits Meyers system better and that more guys like Chris Simms who have hit a lot on the QB rankings on the last 4 years are being taken more serious. The Jags are a poor team that have made several bad decisons here and could this be like the Sam Darnold when everyone thought he was going 1. I think the needle has moved a little to Wilson being #1 pick. 

Simms record has been perfect really over the last four/five drafts. With that being said there’s just no way the Jags won’t take Lawrence. I don’t even think I’d believe it on draft day if Wilson was there with his Jags hat on!! 

1 hour ago, Jag68Sid87 said:

We are a franchise that has a history of making these types of erroneous decisions. Heck, we just went through this a mere four years ago. A lot of you throw our history out the window because we now have a new regime. But how many times have we said that before? Not even Bill Parcells could right this ship, although he certainly gave it his best shot and did as well as anybody else could ever hope to do.

We as a franchise are in absolutely no position to "go big or go home" with the second pick. We need to play it safe. We need to draft someone who is as much of a guaranteed NFLer as there can be. 

If we had thought like that in 2018, we would now have LG Quenton Nelson along the O-line (and our QB situation would be just as bad as it is now).

I am sick of the shiny new toys that break as soon as we start playing with them. 

Everyone here would still take the risk of going and getting Darnold or even Allen or Jackson. Bet big win big. Also this regime didn’t draft Darnold or Hackenberg or Petty or Smith or Sanchez or Clemens or Pennington. 

2 hours ago, mattmanz91 said:

He was not initially a captain because when captains were sleected he had not yet won the starting QB job. Once he became the full time starter his teammates took it upon themselves to remedy that and voted to make him a captain. He has been a captain ever since. 

Bobby knows that, he just wants Fields.

Just now, KingOfNewYork said:

Everyone here would still take the risk of going and getting Darnold or even Allen or Jackson. Bet big win big. Also this regime didn’t draft Darnold or Hackenberg or Petty or Smith or Sanchez or Clemens or Pennington. 

But JD took this job believing in Sam. And he did play pretty darn good JDs 1st year here. And then JD didn't do enough IMO to try and help him take a leap. Yes there was some bad luck to it in injuries. But still not enough was done.

1 minute ago, Bobby816 said:

But JD took this job believing in Sam. And he did play pretty darn good JDs 1st year here. And then JD didn't do enough IMO to try and help him take a leap. Yes there was some bad luck to it in injuries. But still not enough was done.

Yeah I agree 100%. Not enough was done. Losing Robby was monumental and subliminally said it all when helping out Sam. With that being said he can’t drop the ball this offseason. No excuses.