2021 Draft Thread

Abe56

I haven't been keeping up with the scouting process. Going to try to catch up and see how this class looks for 43 DE's & LB's. I feel good about our secondary with Maye, Hall, and a vet on the other side. This class looks great for 34 defenses though. 

On offense, I feel good about as well because we're going to either get Watson or draft one of the QBs I like. This class looks great in the IOL & RB positions and we have the cap space to come away with one of the top FA WRs. 

1 hour ago, rickyt31 said:

I haven't been keeping up with the scouting process. Going to try to catch up and see how this class looks for 43 DE's & LB's. I feel good about our secondary with Maye, Hall, and a vet on the other side. This class looks great for 34 defenses though. 

On offense, I feel good about as well because we're going to either get Watson or draft one of the QBs I like. This class looks great in the IOL & RB positions and we have the cap space to come away with one of the top FA WRs. 

I think the FA WR are not going anywhere. I think we are looking at the second level guys like Davis, Hilton type guys. I don't think we draft a QB with pick 2. I think we either get Watson or we stick with Sam. I think JD is thinking like me and really don't love Wilson or Fields. 

4 hours ago, jetfuel34 said:

I think the FA WR are not going anywhere. I think we are looking at the second level guys like Davis, Hilton type guys. I don't think we draft a QB with pick 2. I think we either get Watson or we stick with Sam. I think JD is thinking like me and really don't love Wilson or Fields. 

Maybe half of the top WRs will resign, but 1-2 will be out there. Teams barely have money right now to resign. 

I honestly can't see us sticking with just Sam in any scenario. There is no proof he doesn't like the draft prospects. We have a struggling QB with one year left on his contract for a coach & GM who had nothing to do with drafting him. If we're not going to trade him, I think we're going to draft another QB early to create a Alex Smith/Kaepernick situation. Just sticking with Sam and another cheap vet probably won't happen. 

7 hours ago, rickyt31 said:

Maybe half of the top WRs will resign, but 1-2 will be out there. Teams barely have money right now to resign. 

I honestly can't see us sticking with just Sam in any scenario. There is no proof he doesn't like the draft prospects. We have a struggling QB with one year left on his contract for a coach & GM who had nothing to do with drafting him. If we're not going to trade him, I think we're going to draft another QB early to create a Alex Smith/Kaepernick situation. Just sticking with Sam and another cheap vet probably won't happen. 

If we draft a qb at #2 then Sam has to be traded. Makes zero sense otherwise. If he did have a good year he’d just move on and we’d be left with nothing in way of draft compensation 

17 hours ago, jetfuel34 said:

I think you got a point. good WR's have become so valuable in todays NFL, with QB's throwing 40,50, even 60 passes a game, teams don't want to lose top WR's. And teams that want to have a strong passing game needs at least three good WR's. I have seen very little talk on this board bout the running back position on the Jets right now we have two young players in Perine, & Johnson, neither one will make you forget Barkley, Cubb, Henry. or Mc Caffery. I really think WR's are going to come off the draft board early & fast. We have had seven years of second tier WR's, that must stop.

Simms has been very good projecting pros recently, he called Lamar Jackson and Josh Allen being the best of the bunch in 2018 and was a huge Justin Herbert advocate last year. And then obviously Patrick Mahomes. I dont agree with Wilson being #1, I think Lawrence is the best QB in the draft.

Going to watch the podcast to get a more in depth analysis from him. 

Edited by KingOfNewYork

7 hours ago, xenajets said:

If we draft a qb at #2 then Sam has to be traded. Makes zero sense otherwise. If he did have a good year he’d just move on and we’d be left with nothing in way of draft compensation 

That is not my favorite scenario either, by a long shot. However, that scenario is not the worst thing we could end up doing. Play Darnold for one more season and groom his successor at the same time. We always speak of Darnold as either our QB of the future or a trade candidate. We don't really talk about him like a bridge QB, but it's really not the worst idea. He is cheaper than any FA QB we would bring in, most likely. And, if he balls out we are not left with nothing. We spend one year grooming his successor, and hopefully he would be ready to play in 2022. 

This would actually be a better situation than what Chicago did, because after Trubisky leaves they have to find another QB because Foles was an expensive backup and no more. Our scenario is better.

So again, not my favorite scenario (because I really don't like Darnold at all and want him gone) but I suppose we could do worse than have Darnold for 2021 and draft someone like Lance or Mond or whoever as the QB of the future. 

2 hours ago, doumeyer said:

I think you got a point. good WR's have become so valuable in todays NFL, with QB's throwing 40,50, even 60 passes a game, teams don't want to lose top WR's. And teams that want to have a strong passing game needs at least three good WR's. I have seen very little talk on this board bout the running back position on the Jets right now we have two young players in Perine, & Johnson, neither one will make you forget Barkley, Cubb, Henry. or Mc Caffery. I really think WR's are going to come off the draft board early & fast. We have had seven years of second tier WR's, that must stop.

I actually think we are in better shape at WR than at RB right now. Perine and Johnson are major question marks. Neither projects as anything more than depth, imo. At WR, we do have a productive slot receiver in Crowder (if we keep him) and a very good-looking wideout in Denzel Mims (which looks like a potential steal right now). That is a decent starting point. Do we need more? Absolutely. We can upgrade Crowder with a better FA slot WR, we can draft a guy like DeVonta Smith early and really have a nice mix, and we can go spending big money on a free agent. One guy I really like because I don't think he will break the bank is A.J. Green. His talent is as good as any FA wide receiver, and possibly top 10 in the league, overall. However, he is hurt all the time. You could maybe get him for less and hope he can stay healthy. Another guy I like as a Perriman replacement is DeSean Jackson because (again) he may not be top dollar because of the injuries. But when he is on the field, he definitely spreads defenses.

At running back, the situation is much much uglier. I want us to draft Travis Etienne and if we cannot do that then at least draft Najee Harris. And then maybe add a solid veteran who can catch the ball out of the backfield and spell our top RB...maybe someone like Duke Johnson? Anyway, the point is we really need help at running back, and I suspect the running game is going to become a lot more important under Saleh than it was under Gase.

5 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

Simms has been very good projecting pros recently, he called Lamar Jackson and Josh Allen being the best of the bunch in 2018 and was a huge Justin Herbert advocate last year. I dont agree with Wilson being #1, I think Lawrence is the best QB in the draft.

Going to watch the podcast to get a more in depth analysis from him. 

What is interesting about that list for me is not the top, but rather the 3-6. I would be pretty happy is one of those guys slips to No. 23 (or, perhaps slips to the 15-20 range and we are able to get a pick in that range after trading down from No. 2). 

I think if we can use that No. 2 pick so that we can land a DeVonta Smith or Penei Sewell, a quarterback like Lance or Mond and a running back like Etienne or Harris, then that would be a pure win for us imo.

24 minutes ago, SDotNova said:

Pretty meaningful for Chris Simms to have Zach Wilson number 1 on his board.

a video of his previous QB rankings.

LOL what a flex from Chris Simms. I like Wilson but there is no way I think Lawrence doesn't have more upside. Lawrence is such a better prospect than Wilson is.

1 minute ago, ekill08x said:

LOL what a flex from Chris Simms. I like Wilson but there is no way I think Lawrence doesn't have more upside. Lawrence is such a better prospect than Wilson is.

When you hear his reasoning it’s actually pretty reasonable even if we disagree. 

8 minutes ago, ekill08x said:

He’s definitely flexing a bit there. Haha. I don’t mind it. He took a lot of heat for having Lamar and Josh Allen atop his board in 2018. He bashed Darnold. He also bashed Tua bit. He’s been more right than most of these media scouts. And he wants to be a GM one day. So you know he cares about what he puts out there.

8 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

Let’s say Saleh and LaFleur want Wilson but Douglas wants someone else. Who do you guys think we pick?

Whoever is most passionate about their guy. Like if Saleh is breaking heads and saying Wilson is far above better than these guys and the FO is like we like Fields a bit better but not by much, Wilson will be the pick.

10 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

When you hear his reasoning it’s actually pretty reasonable even if we disagree. 

I’m listening to the podcast now. So far so good. I really like Fields but he’s speaking about Wilson with conviction. He really likes Lawrence too. But to him, it’s not 1a and 1b, it’s 1 Wilson and 2 Lawrence. 
I know you heard this already. More for those who haven’t heard him talk about his rankings.

13 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

Let’s say Saleh and LaFleur want Wilson but Douglas wants someone else. Who do you guys think we pick?

Wilson. Douglas is going to trust his coach. Seems like they are all on the same page so I think a good GM gives the coach the guy him and his OC truly want even if he likes another guy better.