Bears to decline Trub's 5th year option

malagabears

1 minute ago, Madmike90 said:

I'm not taking anything away from what Tannehill did...but how many times have we seen a guy catch lighting in a bottle at QB...Foles is one of them...I just don't see Tannehill replicating those numbers this year and you are then paying for past performance rather than what you expect him to do in the future.

So your solution is if Foles does this year what Tannehill did in 2019, let him opt out and use the ~28th pick on a QB?

26 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

I'm not taking anything away from what Tannehill did...but how many times have we seen a guy catch lighting in a bottle at QB...Foles is one of them...I just don't see Tannehill replicating those numbers this year and you are then paying for past performance rather than what you expect him to do in the future.

No NFL team is going to chuck the QB that takes them to a playoff appearance, especially not one like the Bears.

You can think it is bad  business, but that is how the NFL works.

If Foles plays well and leads them to the playoffs, he will opt out, and the Bears will pay him. The other option is you draft a late 1st round QB for the next regime, because if he takes 2-3 years to get good you are fired.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Madmike90 said:

So your saying to Mitch play well when we put you in competition then he does and you only tag him? What kind of message is that sending to him or the rest of this team? You have to have conviction in your approach...if Mitch plays really well you need to look to extend him because you can't let your team think they are not going to be rewarded...can you really say given what we have seen from Mitch you would be happy to give him 4 years $110 million? Because that is how you are handcuffing your team for a guy I don't think anyone has a ton of faith in...

You say to me right now Trubisky playing well for a season and us gining him $110 million or spend pick #24 on a QB like Brock Purdy and I am taking Purdy every time.

You do not need to do anything.

Mitch is going to make 28 million on the tag, I do not think that anyone is going to be crying about that for him.

If Mitch plays well they will keep him either with the tag or an extension. They will not tie themselves to a total unknown rookie QB. Trubisky clicking is a huge win for Pace and I expect he is going to flaunt it.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

So your solution is if Foles does this year what Tannehill did in 2019, let him opt out and use the ~28th pick on a QB?

I don't think Foles is doing what Tannehill did because he doesn't have the same talent around him...if Foles plays well and wants to walk out on his deal I make an offer to him no doubt...but I am no where near $25 million a season and if someone wants to give him that then cool...yes I move on to a rookie QB and another vet...if he wants to take something like $18 million a year I re up him for another year and let the rookie sit.

15 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

No NFL team is going to chuck the QB that takes them to a playoff appearance, especially not one like the Bears.

You can think it is bad  business, but that is how the NFL works.

If Foles plays well and leads them to the playoffs, he will opt out, and the Bears will pay him. The other option is you draft a late 1st round QB for the next regime, because if he takes 2-3 years to get good you are fired.

If Foles leds us to the playoffs and ops out who is paying him $25 million a year?

13 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

You do not need to do anything.

Mitch is going to make 28 million on the tag, I do not think that anyone is going to be crying about that for him.

If Mitch plays well they will keep him either with the tag or an extension. They will not tie themselves to a total unknown rookie QB. Trubisky clicking is a huge win for Pace and I expect he is going to flaunt it.

He will...because if he gets hurt that is it over with...players hold out for a reason on the tag...would you play for $28 million when potentially you could get 3x that guaranteed with a contract?

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

I don't think Foles is doing what Tannehill did because he doesn't have the same talent around him...if Foles plays well and wants to walk out on his deal I make an offer to him no doubt...but I am no where near $25 million a season and if someone wants to give him that then cool...yes I move on to a rookie QB and another vet...if he wants to take something like $18 million a year I re up him for another year and let the rookie sit.

What is 18 million a year based on?

Bridgewater got 23 for 5 good starts.

Tannehill for 29 for a playoff run.

In your hypothetical he does exactly what Tannehill does, maybe his stats are slightly less, but if we got 11-5 and win playoff games he had a pretty good statistical season.

Your plan is unrealistic. No NFL team is letting a QB that took them on a playoff run leave the next season.

24 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

He will...because if he gets hurt that is it over with...players hold out for a reason on the tag...would you play for $28 million when potentially you could get 3x that guaranteed with a contract?

28 milliion or 0? I take the 28 million. For QBs as Kirk proved and Dak is proving the tag isn't a negative.

Mitch was going to be playing on his 5th year option which will be replaced by the tag.

If he lights it up then you can extend him if you are comfortable with his ability to recreate it.

If either Bears QB leads them to the playoffs they are getting paid. You can take that to the bank. Nagy and Pace are not going to go back into the QB wilderness during a competitive window after they finally get improved QB play,

21 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

What is 18 million a year based on?

Bridgewater got 23 for 5 good starts.

Tannehill for 29 for a playoff run.

In your hypothetical he does exactly what Tannehill does, maybe his stats are slightly less, but if we got 11-5 and win playoff games he had a pretty good statistical season.

Your plan is unrealistic. No NFL team is letting a QB that took them on a playoff run leave the next season.

Again just because other teams do something doesn't mean you need to do it...look at the Pats...let Brady walk and then do what? Panic and over pay for someone? No...over draft someone? No...they understand that a team is more than just one position if you don't believe that that guy is worth it.

21 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

28 milliion or 0? I take the 28 million. For QBs as Kirk proved and Dak is proving the tag isn't a negative.

Mitch was going to be playing on his 5th year option which will be replaced by the tag.

If he lights it up then you can extend him if you are comfortable with his ability to recreate it.

If either Bears QB leads them to the playoffs they are getting paid. You can take that to the bank. Nagy and Pace are not going to go back into the QB wilderness during a competitive window after they finally get improved QB play,

And I am sure he will be just thrilled at the fact we rejected that 5th year option only to then turn round and tag him...no player in the NFL wants tagged and the fact you didn't answer the question says it all...it's not $28 or $0...because you seem to think a QB like Foles is getting $25 on the open market so what would Trubisky get? He would have every right to hold out if he is lights out and we only try and tag him.

11 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

No doubt but $25 million for Foles?...hard pass from any decent franchise...this has Andy Dalton wrote all over it.

They won't give Foles a massive contract. If they have to, they'll tag him, see if he'll accept a two year deal for more guaranteed. 

There is no way they're giving Foles a Tannehill contract based off of one season. 

1 hour ago, Madmike90 said:

And I am sure he will be just thrilled at the fact we rejected that 5th year option only to then turn round and tag him...no player in the NFL wants tagged and the fact you didn't answer the question says it all...it's not $28 or $0...because you seem to think a QB like Foles is getting $25 on the open market so what would Trubisky get? He would have every right to hold out if he is lights out and we only try and tag him.

It is 28 million or 0.

He cannot get a contract from another team if he is tagged,

He won't hold out and leave 28 million on the table, no one ever does. Can anyone remember the last time a QB held out on the tag?

Edited by WindyCity

2 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

No doubt but $25 million for Foles?...hard pass from any decent franchise...this has Andy Dalton wrote all over it.

Andy Dalton did not go 11-5 and take a team deep into the playoffs.

Dalton was coming off a season worst than Trubisky's.

Edited by WindyCity