Can a Case be made for Keenum...?

vike daddy

17 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

There is a reason - he's not playing that well.

I've watched him the last few weeks as you have...and I can't say the same.  Are there moments where I'm like "Whoa...he shouldn't have thrown it there..." or "That was kind of a wobbly pass!"?  Yes.  But, overall, he's been effective, regardless of whether it's pretty or not. Football Outsiders.com has him as the 5th ranked QB in DYAR (which is calculated as the total value of the QB), 4th ranked in DVOA (which is the QB's total value per play) and even ESPN (whether you like their rating system or not) has him ranked as the #6 QB.  

To say he's not playing well is an overvaluation of style over the substance.   

Is it though? How much is it him playing well vs his supporting cast bailing him out? How many big plays has he missed that another more talented player would have capitalized on? There's plenty of video evidence out there suggesting that he is a product of his surroundings. 

I hate arguing about this, because I really do like Keenum! I think he's done an admirable job given who he is as a player. I think the longer Keenum sticks as the QB, the more likely a regression becomes. I also think this offense really takes off with a better QB, which I happen to believe Teddy will be. 

1 hour ago, JDBrocks said:

Is it though? How much is it him playing well vs his supporting cast bailing him out? How many big plays has he missed that another more talented player would have capitalized on? There's plenty of video evidence out there suggesting that he is a product of his surroundings. 

I hate arguing about this, because I really do like Keenum! I think he's done an admirable job given who he is as a player. I think the longer Keenum sticks as the QB, the more likely a regression becomes. I also think this offense really takes off with a better QB, which I happen to believe Teddy will be. 

We saw a better version of this offense week one. Granted we no longer have Dalvin Cook as part of the offense, we're leaving plays on the field. I like Keenum a lot too and I'm glad he's our backup. 

52 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

and are we really winning games because of Case Keenum...?

You could ask that question of almost any player.   Are we really winning games because of Stefon Diggs...?  We are 2-0 without him in the line up. 

It is a team game and Keenum has been a positive contributor to the team's success. 

2 hours ago, Snake Plissken said:

You could ask that question of almost any player.   Are we really winning games because of Stefon Diggs...?  We are 2-0 without him in the line up. 

It is a team game and Keenum has been a positive contributor to the team's success. 

Agreed, this is a team game and W/L is not solely a QB stat. However, stating a WR, in this case Diggs, has equal value in determining W/L is a bit off in IMO. QB, in the majority of scenarios, has the greatest individual impact on W/L.

16 minutes ago, marshpit23 said:

Agreed, this is a team game and W/L is not solely a QB stat. However, stating a WR, in this case Diggs, has equal value in determining W/L is a bit off in IMO. QB, in the majority of scenarios, has the greatest individual impact on W/L.

I didn't state that, but agree.  In a QB driven league  Keenum has had a positive impact on W/L. 

Archived