Can a Case be made for Keenum...?

vike daddy

15 hours ago, Freakish Mind said:

And yet you fail to come in here and show us any evidence that Bridgewater is the better option.   The coaching staff is working with both players and know a lot more then all of us.  Them sticking with Keenum is very telling.   

I'm not sure how telling it is when Keenum has been the QB during a 6 game win streak. You obviously ride the hot hand. Just listen to how Zimmer talks about Teddy. He's always talking about "when" Teddy gets his chance, not "if." When asked how he could possibly make a QB change, Zimmer said that he gets to watch Teddy everyday in practice and gets to see what everyone doesn't see. Zimmer wants Teddy in. As soon as Case starts having "oopsies" and "uht oh's,' you better believe Zimmer is going to pull him as soon as he can, because I'd be willing to bet that Case's leash is rather short. 

49 minutes ago, CriminalMind said:

if Case starts the remaning games this year & if he is retained, find peace in him being the starter over the backup QB, whoever that might be.

It will be very peaceful to know that the English language will remain intact, and that the word "starter" does in fact not mean backup. That'll be comforting, thank you

In the face of mounting evidence I’ve converted to the start Keenum for the rest of the year camp. I re-watched the last five games with him and see improvement every week. His pocket presence makes up for the fact he doesn’t have the best arm. Some of the throws he’s made in the Lion’s game so far show further improvement. Guess we’ll have to deal with the QB situation in the off-season. 

I love Teddy, but am I the only one thinking this might not be Case Keenum's best season, this might be how good of a QB he is from here on out? This is only his 5th NFL season and he was never really given a fair shot at the starting job in Houston or LA. Keep in mind, it took 6 years fro Alex Smith to finally breakout (under Jim Harbaugh).

2 minutes ago, Nozizaki said:

I love Teddy, but am I the only one thinking this might not be Case Keenum's best season, this might be how good of a QB he is from here on out? This is only his 5th NFL season and he was never really given a fair shot at the starting job in Houston or LA. Keep in mind, it took 6 years fro Alex Smith to finally breakout (under Jim Harbaugh).

This is why I’ve changed my mind on keeping Keenum as a starter. Likely didn’t get a fair shake previously and has shown improvement every game. I still think Teddy can have similar, if not greater, success but I have to be realistic about upsetting existing chemistry and momentum. Those of you who are smarter than I can perhaps let me know how the Vikes might handle the situation going forward. Keenum going to want a big contract? Teddy going somewhere else just doesn’t sit well with me. 

3 minutes ago, Nozizaki said:

With today performance, Case moves into the top 10 QB's on QB rating, sitting at 96.22.  He is looking better and better as the season rolls on.  Ahead of him in 9th place is Stafford, who's rating is 97.33.

1 hour ago, HitStickAllDay said:

This is why I’ve changed my mind on keeping Keenum as a starter. Likely didn’t get a fair shake previously and has shown improvement every game. I still think Teddy can have similar, if not greater, success but I have to be realistic about upsetting existing chemistry and momentum. Those of you who are smarter than I can perhaps let me know how the Vikes might handle the situation going forward. Keenum going to want a big contract? Teddy going somewhere else just doesn’t sit well with me. 

Keenum has played well on the whole, and seems to be developing better chemistry with his receivers, runners and offensive linemen every game.  THAT is why I wouldn't replace him unless he plays badly.  Yes, he does toss the ball up for grabs, at times, and super plays by Thielen and Diggs have bailed him out many times.  But, overall, he is performing well, and Teddy, at his best was not quite as good (even given that he never had an O-Line playing this well).  It would be like starting the season over for Teddy to start now.  It would take him 4-6 games to get up to speed with his receivers and O-Line. 

However, I would NOT want to see Keenum given a winner starter salary, and see Teddy go to another team.  I think that Teddy still has a better upside than Keenum, IF he cab stay healthy.  I can't see The Vikings paying $10 million to TWO different QBs at the same time (although I'd like to see both of them kept next season.  I'm comfortable with Bradford leaving.  I think his legs will never be the same, and he'll not have the mobility  an NFL QB needs these days.

I’m willing to concede to the idea of Keenum starting for the remainder of the season, but I’m not ready to hand him the job for next year. 

I think we’d be doing the team a massive disservice to not see what Bridgewater would do with this same group of players and coaches. 

I still believe Teddy is and will be the better QB, but Case was impressive today. I'll want to watch again, but I didn't see any passes that were in jeopardy of being intercepted, and there were a few passes that were more accurate than I have seen. Imo this was his best game of the season. He should start until he hurts the team.

2 hours ago, Nozizaki said:

Personally, I don't believe much has changed. This isn't far off from where he's been his whole career, but his weapons have drastically improved.

Everyone looks at the 0-8 start to his career. But since then he was 9-8 as a starter entering this season, without great weapons.

That being said, better weapons haven't really turned him into a better quarterback. He still has inconsistent tendencies that are fair to question.

I don't know anymore haha.  It's hard to argue with the overall results even if the process is questionable at times.  My gut tells me that Teddy is still the better QB and the team would be better with him but it's difficult to work out how you can sit Keenum at this point.

Glad I don't have to make the decision

10 minutes ago, Klomp said:

That being said, better weapons haven't really turned him into a better quarterback. He still has inconsistent tendencies that are fair to question

Bad underthrow to Diggs today and a couple of other throws that rose thd eyebrow but overall it's still hard to argue.

3 minutes ago, Dolmonite26 said:

Bad underthrow to Diggs today and a couple of other throws that rose thd eyebrow but overall it's still hard to argue.

Eh, overall it was a good performance.

We can certainly win and be a strong team with Keenum. I'm okay with him as long as he continues to roll. We're more than just a one and done team in the playoffs.

Next year will be confusing though.

Archived