2021 Draft Talk

swede700

5 hours ago, wcblack34 said:

Taking anything other than OL/DL/QB at #14 should be cause for the immediate firing of Zimmer and Spielman. If Zimmer takes another CB in the 1st round, I'm done until he's fired. 

Coach Zimmer doesn't get to make the selections. It's Rick Spielman consults with coach Zimmer on the types of players he needs. Rick Spielman also consults with the scouting staff. Based on that Rick Spielman makes a selection. Coach Zimmer's input weighs heavily, but coach Zimmer does not ultimately make the selection. If he did, it would be but another reason for Wilf to fire Rick Spielman.

8 hours ago, wcblack34 said:

Taking anything other than OL/DL/QB at #14 should be cause for the immediate firing of Zimmer and Spielman.

You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but if the Ravens gave us Orlando Brown for Barr and we selected Micah Parsons would you still be calling for their dismissal? And what if they made that deal and Baltimore threw in their 2nd rounder and we lucked into a top edge rusher with that pick? Then is Rick the GM of the year or do you simply want a new regime?

18 hours ago, ArcticNorseman said:

Of all the crazy numbers, Oweh  has to take the cake, right?    I'm not saying the Vikes take him at 14 . . . They need a hawg.   But, I don't think I can recall a prospect at 6' 5" over 250 lbs ever running sub 4.4 . . . Does anyone else?   

So, if there was never a day Andre Patterson screamed in his life, I bet its coming . . . Lol

WFT DE Sweat he was 6'6 260 and ran 4.41 at the combine. Oweh is a hard worker and Patterson could do wonders for him

He would be a very interesting pick, out of character for the team but could be a hell of a player and make the defensive unit really good.  They do have a lot of depth at DE but not elite depth, but could get by easily with Weatherly, Wonnum, Willekes, Holmes and Mata'afa so the need is not huge unless they think Hunter is upset or going to leave in a few years.  

Either way those two ends would be dang fun to watch.  But can one get by with the likes of Ben Cleveland, Aaron Banks, Robert Hainsey or Walker Little as the OL instead of Slater but more likely Teven Jenkins, Alex Leatherwood, Vera-Tucker or Darrisaw?  Big difference in talent no question about it.

DE Danielle Hunter
DT Tomlinson
DT Pierce
DE Jaelan Phillips
OLB Barr
ILB Kendricks
CB Patrick Peterson
SS Harrison Smith
FS Xavier Woods
Slot CB Mac Alexander
CB Dantzler

I think OL is still the way to go in the 1st because not sure one could catch up in the later rounds if they do not address it right away, now if they had a 2nd round pick that is a totally different story so maybe they could trade a 3rd and 4th to move up into the late 2nd or something.  Then would be in the game for maybe Liam Eichenberg, Spencer Brown, Quinn Meiner or Josh Myers.

20 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Jaelen Phillips is a hard pass for me, especially in the 1st round. 

The talent is certainly there, but there’s no way I’d use a first round pick on a player who has already medically retired once before over issues with concussions. 

I thought the same thing about him, but hard to deny that workout he had and how athletic he is, and just how rare of an athlete he is at that size.  Most likely will not happen but if he could stay healthy that would be a hell of a tandem and make that defense something.  But yeah is probably not the best way to go taking that big of a risk and most likely will not happen, but would be fun to watch those two rush the passer.  

An ankle injury limited him as a freshman, and he had a pair of operations for a wrist injury sustained after a car hit him while he rode a scooter.  Both of those are not some ACL or something or major problems I would say.  Then the last one was a concussion issue that lead him to retire, that was an issue but I think he was just in a different head space at UCLA.  

“I kind of got to the point where I was last guy in, first guy out,” said Phillips of the late stages of his UCLA career. “I wasn’t really investing in football, was focusing on things outside of football.”

These days, he finds himself more focused than ever.

“Football’s just in my head 24/7,” Phillips said. “I’m watching film like a fanatic.”

1 hour ago, vike daddy said:

what do our guys think of the Texas A&M QB Mond....?

Would be amazing for the Vikings to get him in the 3rd round but he is most likely gone in the 2nd to Chicago or Washington.  Awesome athlete, talented arm and he can take hard coaching, would be a great developmental/backup QB for the Vikings unless they really like Stanley or Browning but hard to say with them with no real preseason games to go off of, especially Stanley.  Heard talk of Mills as well to the Vikings but that would have to be the 3rd round I would guess so better address OL 1st round if they are thinking QB in the 3rd.